Just a thought...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Mar 28, 2006.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Does anyone think Brian Schottenheimer will be pulling for Vernon Davis? So that he has a monster threat at the TE position like they had in SD? I am not saying I am interested in the Jets even doing this, but I also think it is worth mentioning that Bill Bellichick spent two first rounders on TE's in New England...Ben Graham and Ben Watson.

Perhaps the Jets are interested in this guy?

Again I am NOT saying I am in favor of this nor do I want Vernon...just something I feel worth talking about...

Also, how much say do you think Brian Schottenheimer will have towards the draft?

2. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

if we trade down there is a great possibility that he might want him .. but if we stay at 4 i dont think he can brainwash Tangini in gettin Vernon ..

WE just SIGNED baker .. so i think gettin Davis is a dream ATM

3. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

NO WAY! TE is probably the last position we need to address now, irrespective of who wants this guy. We would be the laughing stock of the league if we were to take this guy at #4, given our other, more pressing needs of QB, OL and to a lesser degree DT and LB- with a smattering of QB.

If Vernon Davis is drafted at the 4 spot by the Jets I will make like the monkeys in the zoo and throw crap at the TV screen....

4. hazmat

hazmat New Member

No way the Jets take him at 4. We have 3 tight ends on our roster already. We have plenty of other needs that are more important then taking a TE. Also taking a tight end with the 4th pick is way to high for that position.

5. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Agree with everything except your last statement. From what I have read, this guy is the real deal, ala Gonzalez, Shockey or even Winslow Jr. before he was hurt.

If a team has a glaring need for someone in this position and feels they can address other needs later in the draft, I can see him getting taken high in the first, very high- maybe not 4 but certainly between 6-10....

6. Z-Dog

Z-Dog New Member

Also the pats never spent a high pick on a tight end - it was always a late 1st-rounder. 1.04 would be a record for a TE selection

7. Cinvis

Cinvis New Member

What he was saying about #4 being too high for a TE is traditionally true. Certain positions just aren't usually taken that high in the draft. We all know about C and G's, but TE and LB are also not taken in the top 10 very often.

Winslow was, I believe, the highest a TE has ever been taken at #6. When was the last LB taken high in the 1st. Arrington at #2, but that was years ago now.

8. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I agree that 4 is definitely on the high side, but given his measurables the guy definitely goes in the top 10.

But then again, this is the draft and stranger things have happened..

9. 1028

1028 Active Member

If we trade down a few slots then IMO he would be a good pick. We all know that we need to upgrade our offense. But weve committed to Pennington and Martin, and have too much $$ invested in WR to upgrade there. Our Oline will go a long way towards providing us with that upgrade, but it wont provide us with the fire we need to be an explosive offense. But if we get a stud TE, that could go a long way towards opening up the rest of the offense. It dosent have to be Davis, but Id like to see us either make a run at Davis with our first 1st rounder, Pope with our second 1st rounder, or Lewis with our 2nd rounder

10. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

I think we need a TE however right now it's not our biggest issue. I doubt we get Vernon.

11. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

We don't need a TE. Baker was looking like a beast before he got injured, and Jolley never got a fair shake with the QB and OL injuries last seaon. We also have Dreesen who is very underrated, and have that basketball kid project floating around somewhere.

12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

We signed Baker for a reason and I'm anxious to give our existing TEs one more season to break out, especially if we wind up with a much better O-line this year. I don't see our FO going for this position, even if Schottenheimer begs on hand and knee.