Ok, its just a thought

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TampaBayJetsFan85, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

New York Jets Defensive statistics:

Rush YPG: 134.8.....29th in the league
    Pass YPG: 197.1.....9th in the league

Completion %: 61.5.....20th in the league
    Sacks: 29.....25th in the league

Passing attempts: 470.....5th in the league
    Rushing attempts: 517.....31st in the league

Thats why. Nobody throws on the Jets because they don't have to. Until that changes there's no reason to make our secondary one of the highest paid in the league. Considering the number of times they were in coverage last season they're already overpaid.

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

that margin of attempts doesn't seem that big. i guess 47 is a lot. but it's really only like 3 more rush attempts per game.

3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You're right -- the margin isn't that big when you look at it like that. It is big when compared to the rest of the league though, and it's indicative of the major problems. The Jets can't get and hold a lead. The Jets play from behind alot. The Jets can't stop the run.

#23 Jets81, Feb 12, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  4. All Star

All Star Active Member

Better coverage will allow more people to rush the QB, and create coverage sacks.

I have been on board for that idea from the start.

I want Kenny Phillips, two play making safeties would be amazing, and Asante Samuel would be a bonus to me.

5. Scottso

Scottso Member

I don't understand why the Jets coaching staff doesn't take a look at playing Justin Miller at safety next to Kerry Rhodes. Justin Miller seems like he could be an awesome safety, he has all the physical attributes. He has the speed and coverage ability of a safety, but is a big strong guy who is a sure tackler and can come up to the line of scrimmage and make some plays while blitzing or run protecting.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The reason you don't look at somebody like Justin Miller as safety is that speed is not what you are looking for. You're looking for somebody who reads an offensive formation well, takes sound angles towards his assignment, after determining what that is in the variable life of a safety, and makes sure tackles when he has to. That's like a primer on what Justin Miller does not know how to do.

7. All Star

All Star Active Member

He is no where near a sure tackler compared to other safeties.

He pretty much will be a more athletic version of Abram Elam.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think I'll just let All Star respond for me for the rest of the night. Every time I post something he has simultaneously posted the most important part of whatever I had to say. :)

9. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

I'd rather get a player (we have none, currently) who can put pressure on a QB than count on coverage sacks, which rarely happen.

Effective gameplan against New England: Knock Brady around.
    Ineffective gameplan against New England: Let's get some coverage sacks.

10. JetsLookingforDWare

So why couldn't we sign Samuels and draft one of the many DE/OLB prospects and a D-line prospects?

I know it sounds crazy, but it just might be crazy enough to work. Having a secondary with 3 players as good as Rhodes, Revis, and Samuels would be nice.

Not that I'm all for signing Samuels...I just have no idea why people are treating signing a FA thats not O-line, D-line, or pass rusher as a bad thing. This draft actually has good O-line, D-line, and pass rushers if they really wanted to do the offseason that way.

11. Scottso

Scottso Member

I would agree with what you posted you need in a safety, but what are you basing your opinion on that he can't perform these tasks. How do you know he won't read a formation well, take sound angles etc when he has never even attempted it from the position. And apparently a couple of you disagree with me, but I have never watched him and had any complaints about his tackling. I have watched him and thought he gets beat alot out on an island, but he would be doing alot less of this as a safety.

12. The Uniform Bomber

as of right now, all he relies on is his speed and athleticism. he hasn't picked up how to read Offenses etc. if he actually learns that, he'll be a very very solid CB.

13. Scottso

Scottso Member

Ok, again, you base this upon what? How do you know he doesn't know how to read an offense?

14. The Uniform Bomber

have you watched him play?

15. Scottso

Scottso Member

Ah, now I understand. Very insightful.

16. Scottso

Scottso Member

I previously put that I agree on what you look for in a safety, however the above listed portion was an oversight on my part. You're always looking for speed at any position on the field.

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

We've seen Justin Miller play poorly on defense. Thats what we have to go on. What are you going on?

18. Scottso

Scottso Member

Right, and he has been playing at cornerback. What I'm going on is that while he has been playing cornerback, his struggles have come from him not playing good man coverage at cornerback. I simply stated that I think it would be worth it for the Jets to take a look at him at safety. His speed will give him fantastic range as a safety, and he is a strong tackler. I don't understand how anyone could say he is not a strong tackler, cause I haven't seen that.

19. The Uniform Bomber

Miller not playing well at CB isn't because of his physical skills. so that means that he doesn't have grasp on the reading part.

and Miller is a hard-hitter, not a strong tackler. there's a difference. if Miller is the last guy to beat to paydirt, he needs to wrap up the ball-carrier and tackle him, not just unload on him.

i love the guy and i think he has all the potential in the world, but he hasn't proven much so far, and he definitely hasn't shown any evidence (aside from physical skills) of being a good Safety.

20. Scottso

Scottso Member

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I know the difference between a hard hitter and strong tackler and Miller is both for a defensive back. And the whole point of my comment wasn't that he has shown evidence of being a good safety, but rather I think that there is a possibility that he could be one. Of course he hasn't shown any evidence, he has never played the position. Just thought it was something worth looking into.