Ok, its just a thought

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TampaBayJetsFan85, Feb 11, 2008.

1. TampaBayJetsFan85

Yeah, I know we need a front 7 thats why I'm all for drafting V.Gholston at #6 to play with D.Harris and J.Vilma But... What if we Signed A.Samuel, spent the money, and then drafted K.Phillips the safety out of Miami?

Reivs and A.Samuel as out CB''s with J.Miller as out Nickel back

And Phillips and K.Rhodes in the secondary///

That would be one hell of a Secondary with Harris and Vilma as our two ILB's in the 3-4. But it was JUST A THOUGHT

I would much rather Sign A.Samuel and draft Gholston though

2. brettbrettr

brettbrettr New Member

I doubt Samuel will be pursued, and seriously doubt Phillips will too. The idea of adding both is silly.

3. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

And they would all get torched because the QB has 10 seconds to throw.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

good idea for a thread.

5. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

What he said, you don't need great DBs to win in the NFL, and our secondary played fine this past season.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Look at the Broncos from this past year-- that is all.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

They played fine? The stats are off because teams were busy running all over us.

Did you watch the first game of the season? Brady to Moss...enough said.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Thats slightly unfair. Revis was way too new out there. Barrett and Rhodes werent good enough to do it either.. not to mention 85% of the league couldn't cover Brady to Moss.. Plus they cheated that game remember???????

9. Beamen

Beamen New Member

That'll happen when you give Randy Moss 6+ seconds to get open, and Tom Brady 6+ seconds to throw....

Unless you've got a guy as fast as Moss in the secondary, which we don't (you'll be hard pressed to find a decent player in the league with that kind of speed), you're not going to be able to cover him that long...

#9 Beamen, Feb 12, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sorry, but I am much more comfortable with Hank Poteat as our nickel than Justin Miller. Poteat has been solid for 2 years, we have relied on him to cover top wideouts and some pretty sizeable TEs in big situations, and while he isn't lights-out, if we had 2 top-flight CBs, I think he WOULD be lights-out.

If any of you tape the games, I challenge you to watch any 3 games and key on Poteat for all of the defensive drives and then disagree with me. All of our young players could learn from a guy with this type of experience and instincts. His physical tools may lack, but I think the same was said of Ray Mickens.

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

The better strategy is to build the D line to allow the talent on our secondary to play better. Building agreat secondary will not have nerly as much impact if a QB has time to eat a sandwich before throwing the football, and if every run is for 6 or 7 yards we will always lose, even with the best secondary in the league.

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I'm still can't understand the logic being applied by some of the Jets fans on this site. We lost games last season because we couldn't protect our QB, pressure the other teams QB, or stop the other teams RB. How does overpaying for a DB and drafting a FS in the first or second round address those issues? Thats way to much money spent in the defensive backfield when that area is arguably the least of our problems.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

We also lost games because we were clearly overmatched in talent against most teams. Fixing both lines does not make us a championship contender, fixing both lines + upgrading the overall talent and depth + figuring out the QB position does.

Now I dont subscribe to the theory of throwing big money at the CB and then drafting secondary in the first round but I do not see the problem in signing a guy that can be considered one of Mangini's guys, in the prime of his career and is arguably the most talented player available. We have enough money and draft picks that we can sign Samuel AND start to fix the lines.

14. JetsLookingforDWare

Exactly.

I value the trenches extremely highly, but fans are way too extreme about this shit lately. We need talent EVERYWHERE. If we fixed the D-line and O-line this team would improve significantly, but it doesn't mean we'd be done building the team. We'd still have to upgrade at #2 CB, RB (eventually), TE, WR, an ILB to pair with Harris, a safety to pair with Rhodes, and so on...

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not completely opposed to signing Samuel, but I am opposed to it if it's the only guy we spend money on this offseason. And I'm very opposed to signing Samuel and drafting a FS or DB in the first 2 rounds.

Your absolutely right about fixing the lines. It doesn't make the Jets contenders next season, but it's brings them a hell of a lot closer then overpaying for a FA DB and drafting a FS on day one.

16. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

If we have an OL that pass blocks and run blocks, we will score a helluva lot more points with our skill positions as they are. If we have a DL that stuffs the run, and TACKLES (remember what tackling means?) the quarterback rapidly / often, then our secondary will play great.

The team stands on its lines. If there is no foundation, the skill players are just adrift.

17. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

nice post.

im OK with Poteat as well. he's been pretty solid and consistent; i don't ever worry what Poteat may bring to the table this week. whereas someone like Barrett, i'm wondering if he'll be ready to cover guys and make tackles, or just give 10-yard cushions the entire game.

as for the o.p., yeah, that Secondary would be sick. but i can dream up a variety of somewhat-realistic scenarios -- really doesn't mean anything. we need to improve the Front 7. you saw what a pass-rush does to a QB like Brady and an OL like NE's.

if our Front 7 generates pressure every game, and Justin Miller finally makes the stride we've been waiting for, our Secondary will be really good.

18. lobacz87

lobacz87 New Member

I understand where this fan is coming from...what if we got the OL help we needed via free agency?...also, this crop of OL is the strongest and deepest its been in years...drafting a top flight safety and signing Samuel would be great. I love how so many of you are content with Hank Poteat as our other starting corner and Abram Elam as our other safety...Ive said it before and Ill say it again, wait until next year, if we get a pass rush, they will always be looking to Poteats side and then you'll be crying that the Jets didn't spend any money on a corner and when we have a top 10 pick in next years draft, we'll be talkin about drafting another CB. Having two physical cover corners will HELP the pass rush. How many times last year did an opposing reciever, especially the Pats recievers, catch balls and our guy was covering 10 yards off...you wouldnt have that with Samuel, just like you don't have that with Revis, and another safety up top would solidify it. It could work, I don't see why some of you are so against it.

19. TampaBayJetsFan85

Exactly, well said

20. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

u have to build a defense from the line out, i dont care if u have champ bailey and asante samuel, if u give a half decent qb all day to throw he will hurt you, the giants dont have a great secondary, but they pressured brady, i want a defense that puts a qb on his ass before he can test the skill of our d-backs, stop the run and rush the passer and any defense will be good!