Sutton to Remain with Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mkronenberg, Jan 31, 2008.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Anything anyone posts on this board is speculation. Would you like me to call out all of your presumptuous posts in the same fashion?

2. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

No you don't fire someone just to fire them, but you do fire someone that is not doing a good job. if Mangini has to run the defense then why the hell have a DC. Bring in anybody that Mangini can trust and teach his philosophy to.

3. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Funny that the same guys that are blasting the FO for doing this very thing at the LG position last season, are begging them to do this at the DC position.

What else is new.

I don't hate on Sutton to be honest, and thought Shotty was the worst of the big 3 by far this past season.

Bottom line, we stayed in most games and could have been a .500 team had the offense been able to score some TD's every now and then.

4. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

With all of the options off the table that made sense and fit in with Mangini, there's not much point in making a drastic change just for the sake of making a change.

5. JetsLookingforDWare

Of course its all speculation...but this gung ho "Sutton must be fired" attitude barely has any basis in it. I asked in one of my posts if anyone even knew anything about Sutton...no replies.

I have no clue if the guy is good or bad. I'm not a huge fan and honestly I'd like someone a bit more exciting...but with a new system and a completely overhaul of the roster I don't see the point of jumping down any of the coaches throats...and Sutton is the one we know next to nothing about.

6. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

This was exactly what I thought when I read it. (Just wish I had stopped reading this thread at your post!)

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know that Sutton has been with the Jets since Parcells' Jets tenure, has always been a position coach, has coached in 4 different schemes (2 under Edwards), has not had much public backing from his players, and his defense has come out flat the first half of each of his two seasons as a coordinator.

No real adjustments were made this season until the halfway point to mask the personnel deficiencies we had this year, and while we don't know exactly what happened at the bye to get the defense to start clicking, the fact that the HC admittedly had to get involved in the defense is a bad sign in my eyes. I do not want to sit through that for a third season.

#67 abyzmul, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Read the Article, I don't think it holds too much water right now. Let's wait and see.

If he does stay its a matter of bad personnel over staff. That means the staff is confident that his schemes will do well with better players at the helm rather the other way around. That better be the case then we better get the personnel to jump from the mid 20s to 12-15 this year.

9. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Sutton has worked for the NYJ for 8 years. Obviously, the consensus is that he is a great strategy conduit to the defense. Mangini's forte and abiding passion has been defense. Sutton was chosen as his strategy conduit. If the players didn't relate well to him in the past he would have been gone long ago. Last year's 10-6 was against sub-par competition across the board. The NYJ showed their full deck; the league took damned good notes. Teams' early season's response to NYJ was comprehensive and far too effective.

The NYJ defense have admitted laughing about fans complaining that they are a 3-4 unit. This is because they have been training themselves to play many different fronts based on the situation, not on some overarching defensive scheme. Chart a couple of games and you'll see the variety.

The NYJ defense restructures itself for each new week's opponent, and the 'major adjustments' of the bye week have happened because there is enough time to respond to the NYJ defense's body of work so far. This year, though, something new happened in the bye: the defense members came up with their own tactics whiich Mangini and Sutton were quick to incorporate into their bag of tricks. The players' tactic was the main reason that the NYJ defense was the ONLY one this year to hold Brady without a touchdown -- in fact the Pats offense managed only 13 points in that second game.

I think this strategy of the defense reinventing itself, situation by situation, take a while to jell, because of all the techniques and tactics to learn and keep separate, and because the coaches and the players have to trust each other to have a unified response to the competitors' response.

This approach isn't about being big or small or fast or quick -- the Pats and now the Jets are into being smart and working hard on a bunch of different situations, drilling and drilling and drilling, until these smart well educated guys can play every situation the way it can be won...unconsciously without thinking so hard about it.

This is what I am seeing from the work in progress that is the NYJ defense.

10. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

is this is true..wtf!

11. mkronenberg

mkronenberg New Member

In Rich Cimini's Blog he affirms that Sutton is staying:

"Yes, it?s true: Bob Sutton is going to be sticking around as the Jets? defensive coordinator. Someone confirmed that for me today. Sutton is a lucky man, because if Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan had been fired (in other words, if coach Lane Kiffin hadn?t been castrated by owner Al Davis), I think Sutton would?ve been out of a job."

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

What can possibly be more reliable than that?

13. JetsLookingforDWare

So....whats your point?

If they couldn't make this a super unit NOW, why should we expect anything different in the future?

Nice post. In a perfect world it would shut up the 4-3 whiners, but I'm guessing it does nothing.

14. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

You don't remake the NYJ defense in two seasons. This is a serious make-over of the entire philosophy -- situational approaches versus this front or that front are two different worlds. Players have to weigh in too, not just the coaches. Newbies come in at the bottom of the learning curve. Talent is potential not performance. My take is that Mangini is building a process and players have to stick, persist, and raise their play to arrive at the level of proficiency in any situation that the Pats have reached.

I think Mangini is re-building the NYJ into a situational football team just as the Pats did. Whether he succeeds or not is probably a year three or year four issue. It's certainly not a year one or year two issue. Like it or not.

15. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I wonder about these '16-week wonders' that believe that instant NFL gratification is their begotten right. If the Giants had listened to their fans last year and this year they would have laid down in week 17 and we wouldn't be waiting for them to kick ass in the Super Bowl Sunday.

Why I watch the games is the internal points of view of these coaches and players which can still surprise and thrill confounding all these tons of blather that media and fans pour out as they work so hard to pre-define the unexpected.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That is fucking profound my friend. Agree 100%

17. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

That’s right on! I think with the Jets (if you have watched them long enough) the unexpected is expected. 4 seconds left, a field goal wins the game to go to the AFC Championship; sorry to say it many Jets fans expect a miss. In the 04 Campaign I covered my eyes when Brian whiffed it. Is that me being a fair weathered fan or Years of Mental training by Rooting, cheering and crossing the country to watch my team play? With Sutton it’s more of the same. The Lack of attention to last years O-line situation and the last two years of defensive ineptitude have sparked this discontent for Sutton. 8 years with the team has got to count for something and as I posted earlier in this thread I think it’s the personnel not fitting the scheme at present making Sutton look like a lame duck. Did Magini demand adjustments two years in a row during the bye seeing that we were floundering; who the hell knows. Like Abyzmul said "It’s all speculation" If he stays we have to have faith in Mangini's decision because Mangini will not be afforded many more bad decisions to make and remain the coach for 09. Once again it’s all speculation.

18. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Hey, what do you think the NYJ has to do to start this time with the same mind set and situational awareness they ended with in New England this year?