Sutton to Remain with Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mkronenberg, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

A pretty sure sign was when there was no effort to bring in Rex Ryan when he was available for weeks. I'm fine with this, I'm sick of bringing in new coaches, new systems every other year. I'm not even sure if Sutton is the problem, I'm willing to see what he can do when he has the talent needed to play the system.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Who would want to come aboard this ship right now?

One more bad season and there's a complete change in staff. That's not exactly the kind of situation that screams "take me".

3. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I don't buy the who else do you bring in. If someone is incompetent you get rid of them. Trust me once you have a vacancy you will find someone to fill it. I don't understand how people can give the coaches a pass for this last year.

4. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

could be the best opportunity for a HC Job, for some.

5. Beamen

Beamen New Member

He did a lot better toward the end of the season last year too... That's not a good sign...

A good coach has his personnel assessed and his players buying into his scheme and performing by the time the season starts, not by the time week 8 rolls around and they may or may not be out of contention....

#25 Beamen, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He better not wait until the fucking bye week to make adjustments this season. Two years in a row now, three strikes and you're out.

7. Jetsandcanes

Jetsandcanes Active Member

just like mangina loves to say were going to "stay the course" of being losers.

8. newcomer

newcomer New Member

Why all the chastising of Sutton anyway, I thought Mangini was supposed to be the defensive genious. Does anybody think he is not involved in defensive schemes and coaching

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Hornet this is TYPICAL NYJ way of operating do not fix what is broken so I would suspect that the Post report is real factual

10. JetsLookingforDWare

1. Because it was only one year. They've been a staff for two years, and in one of them they significantly overachieved and took us to the playoffs.

2. How are you so 100% sure Sutton is incompetent? Why is anyone so sure he is? I mean our front 7 is small, slow, and not very powerful...how is any coach going to look good?

11. Attackett

You have got to be kidding, we have had new coordinators pretty much every other year for the last 8 years or so. When was the last time we had the same coordinators for 3 straight seasons?

12. championjets69

I guess during the Herm era when we had Cottrell & the Hack for a couple of years together. That is not the posint however & BTW why would you be defending them when they have not given us a CHAMPIONSHIP in 39 years & counting now?

13. joerockhead

joerockhead New Member

I love the New York Post, but I hope this isn't true. Sutton doesn't seem to have an innovative bone in his body, not that doesn't make him a nice guy. ;)

14. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

why was the D a lot better after the Bye then before, in both years? My best explanation would be, that Mangini laid a hand on it himself. When this is the case, he sux.

I?m just sick of that "bend don?t break" D we saw during most of the last two seasons. When you?re in a 34, you gotta be agressive, if 3 or 4 rushers don?t get to the QB, send 5,6,7 or 8. When you got trouble against the Run, send some runblitzes. That?s the big advantage over the 43. unpredictability and agressiveness, i didn?t see either during most parts of the last 2 years. And i blame Sutton.

#34 German Jets Fan, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  15. Attackett

I'm not defending them I was just pointing out the inaccuracy of your statement. There is never any stability with coaches on the Jets staff, its like a cycle that keeps repeating itself. Hire the HC, bring in a staff, fire a coordinator, change the sytem then fire another coordinator changing anther system until ultimately firing the HC and starting over with a new HC and new system.

They came in together, I'm fine letting them go out together if that is how the cards play out..

16. JetsLookingforDWare

Your best explanation is pure speculation.

We do blitz. We aren't successful. When you're in a 3-4 (or any D) you also have to be big, fast, and stout...for the most part our front 7 isn't that.

Just because you don't see it working doesn't mean we're not doing it. I've seen us send 5-6-7-8 guys more than a few times and fail miserably. When the best pass rusher in our LB corps last year was a rookie ILB who didn't even start all 16 games, maybe it's the talent and not the coaches?

17. championjets69

What does that have to do when I posted that I see the news that Sutton is staying as a typical NYJ move? I would suspect he took a paycut of 1/2 so Woody ordered him to stay as he is saving Woody money

18. Attackett

Because it is not a typical NYJ move, a typical NYJ move is to scapegoat the coordinators when things go bad until there are no coordinators left to scapegoat.

19. JetsLookingforDWare

QFT.

Continuity through adversity (aka balls) has been the Jets biggest problem for a long time. It's a NY sports franchise...you combine weak, scared, non-committed ownership with a whiny (or "passionate") town...and the result is that people will complain and run whenever the team hits a down period. It doesn't help that the down period is 39 years old. It'd be nice to see the Jets grow up a little and actually commit to something though...

20. championjets69

No the typical NYJ move is continue to employ imcompetants. You have just not being a NYJ fan long enough to realize that. Personally I could not care less & was saying that I agreed that Sutton was saying which I guess you missed