Who do the Jets take if Gholston is gone?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PinPointPenning10, Jan 18, 2008.

?

Who should the Jets take if the draft plays out as below?

1. Matt Ryan

6.2%
  2. Mike Jenkins

4.6%
  3. Sedrick Ellis

6.2%
  4. Keith Rivers

1.5%
  5. Kenny Phillips

24.6%
  6. Ryan Clady

7.7%
  7. DeSean Jackson

9.2%
  8. Quentin Groves

3.1%
  9. Other Player

9.2%
  10. Take the best possile trade down option, even if it's not full value.

27.7%
  1. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Yeh, okay I see what you mean, so he is an anti-Favre, lacks some ferocity but great talent.

2. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

I think we should ask ourselves what we really NEED the most from the best players that were available in terms of positional needs. Safety isn't a glaring need and while offensive line is, do we really want to go for that here? we do need help in the receiving corps but at the same time, there is no receiver that warrants the 6th overall pick in this draft. the one position that we are getting sincerely better at is cornerback thanks to revis. drafting corners in back to back first rounds isn't the most ideal situation but we still get a great young talent to start opposite revis.

think of it like this: dyson has been a disappointment and we dont really have a solid option after him to start along side revis. so, mike jenkins is our best option in this terrible situation which i sincerely hope doesnt happen. it does, however, put the patriots in a terrible position since they are probably banking on the likelihood that jenkins falls to them now that lauranitis is out.

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Re: 22

Jenkins is good. I've seen enough USF games to confirm that. However, I'm not sold that he's better than Antoine Cason. Cason initially made himself eligible for the 2007 draft, but ultimately opted to return to Arizona for the 2007 season.
    Before he decided to go back to school, I was having a tough time deciding who was better between Cason and Darrelle Revis.

4. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

What about Aqib Talib from Kansas? Some have him rated as the best corner in the draft.

5. Quack

Quack New Member

Oh yes I have seen him play. Makes great decisions, doesn't have a killer arm but has excellent accuracy and touch. He doesn't quite have the immobility that Chad has but he is by no means a mobile quarterback. He's an overhand delivery of Chad coming out of college (who was sidearm and had to switch to overhand to play in the NFL while learning from Vinny Testeverde).

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

if the top 5 unfolds like that the jets are in some deep doo doo......

IMO its unlikely the falcons pass on the QB but shit happens.

if both longs and gholston are off the board the jets will be blazing the phone to get out of the spot...

other teams already know the jets needs - every team has an index of other teams and their top 3 needs on the field. even to the rookie fan the jets top needs are OL, DE/LB, and WR.

it appears that this draft is darn deep in 2-4 round talent - nothing wrong with getting an extra 2 and 3 and maybe even a #1 next year from someone for that #6 spot.

regardless - the jets need gholston there and it would be a major diss if he isn't.
    problem is the pats and fish know this and would do anything to keep him out of NY

jil

7. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I don't get the Gholston love. Regardless of whether he is a great player or not - and I tend to think not - he just isn't a Jets type. I know, I know, what the hell does it mean to be a Mangini type. Well, I think we can say two things for sure: the player must be versatile and must be the same player very week. Gholston is not bad a run defense, but he is pretty much a one trick pass-rushing pony. Plus, he may be the most inconsistent of the top-rated players. I just don't see us taking him, regardless of whether or not we need a pass rush.

8. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

I would totally trade down. This class is one of the best and deepest I've seen. With no amazing overhyped players and a lot of "good" players everywhere trading down is the best option. Fill two, maybe 3, holes instead of just one. Less of a chance of getting 3 busts than just one expensive one.

If you can't get rid of it, I really don't know. Prety the top 5 doesn't fall like that? lol.

9. All Star

All Star Active Member

Kenny Phillips, getting another playmaking safety would free up both Rhodes and himself to make big plays.

10. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I would rather trade down if that happens but say if we had to choose a player it would be Kenny phillips because of value.

11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd consider a bunch of guys...

Ryan Clady has to be one.

The next best OLB/DE prospect, whether it be Derrick Harvey or Quentin Groves pending the pre-draft workouts, has to warrant consideration.

Also, Kenny Phillips has to be in the mix. In terms of BPA, he has to be right up there as one of the best players in this draft. Hey, the next big-time safety from The U... Sign me up.

12. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

I voted for Kenny Phillips based on BPA...

but I think its wise to reserve judgment till after the senior bowl / combine and other prospect proving grounds