One Hell of a QB Mess

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Section 227. Row 5, Jan 3, 2008.

1. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

I think you should get those 400 cool points ya took from the other guy......a deeply disturbing song, equivalent to our season/franchise....:rofl2::up::eek:hmy:

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

These are the kinds of statements that makes me love Bill Parcells.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I don't know if I would be so quick to rank Clemens ahead of justice at this point. As overmatched as Justice was playing left tackle, he was just as impressive IMO at right tackle when given the time late in the season. Maybe he's like Adrian Jones and can only play well on one side of the line; to be fair right tackle is what he played at USC. Would he be considered a bust if he doesn't become the LT they originally drafted him to be but a dominant RT?

4. JohnnyHector

JohnnyHector Member

I haven't read ever post this thread and I am semi new here. I usually show up around the draft.

The answer is Joe Flacco. We can probably get him in the second round.

There's great video on utube on him but apparently I can post it because I haven't posted 50 yet. Look it up. As o now he's not in the Senor Bowl and that works in our favor. If he gets in I think he will rise like Cutler did

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Adrian Jones could play well on one side of the line he'd have played last year. He really was not an NFL lineman. Either that or the Jets coaching staff is just pithed like a frog stupid. Either one could apply at this point.

6. Bosko

Bosko Guest

Is There a Possible Solution to This?

My problem, from reading this board, is that no one has posted a realistic solution to the NY Jets (obvious) problems...

Yes, we need a good QB, and neither Chad nor Kellen look to be the solution.

Yes, we need OL support (where have you gone Kareem, Jason and Kevin?)... So do we use the draft on this position and wait a few years for the OL to develop? (BTW, I would be for this idea, myself!)

Do we draft a bunch of DL candidates (like Herm Edwards did, hoping that they will develop? (Where have you gone, DeWayne Robertson?)

Or do we lsiten to media morons who want us to draft a QB?
    (As if that will solve all problems--although, when you think about it, a scrambling QB would take the pressure off our weak OL).

Well, I am just glad I am not the NY Jets GM.

7. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

"Well, I am just glad I am not the NY Jets GM."

And so are 31 other NFL GMs.

8. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Yeah, I'm sure that new Atlanta GM is really thrilled.

9. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

This is so, which is why I started this thread to begin with.

Any immediate solution to this QB problem requires expenditure of capital, whether that be draft picks and $$$ or F/A signings and $$$, and these would be outlays we really don't need right now given everything else that needs repair.

The only other alternative is to do nothing and put all that energy and $$$ into the best two lines we can obtain and then see how that works for Clemens' development next year. Either way, it's a setback we really didn't need.

10. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

An immediate solution is to earnestly rebuild the OL and get a player or two on defense who can effectively rush the passer and/or jam up the middle of the LOS.

Build up the trenches, and if the QB situation doesnt pan out next year with a better OL, then go after a QB next off-season.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Build the offensive line before we make a decision on Clemens. Any other direction at this point is a waste of the pick we spent on him and quite possibly a waste of the resources we spend on his replacement, who will find that there are a lot of ways to fail at QB behind a bad offensive line.

Chad and Clemens failed in different ways this year, but both of them were related to the porosity of the line.

12. Section 227. Row 5

I couldn't have said it better... totally agree. And this is what looks like is developing too, in the minds of Mangini and Tannenbaum. I've said it before, I'm all for spending every last resource we have on fixing both lines the right way this year... pull out all stops, even if this means (and I really mean this), even if this means NOT ADDRESSING any other thing but the lines this year!

If we accomplish nothing else but to put people in place that will help us build the best lines possible. we will have made a HUGE accomplishment. A lot of other fixes will be easier to identify once we do that, but in order to get there, we have to expend whatever it takes this year to get it done.

Hey, even Chad Pennington, with his limitations... put him behind the best O-line in the NFL and just watchwhat he could do. I'm sick and tired of watching games (like yesterday), where the O-lines are shoving people all over hell off the LOS. IT looked great to be able to have that... I just sat there wondering how good our running game and passing game could be if we had that kind of O-line. Just with the existing talent we have in place right now, we could blow other teams away.

13. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

If you're allowing Clemens that luxury, I think it only fair that we build the line before we decide Chad is done too. The 06 line stunk and he took us to the playoffs with it.

IMHO 07 is a mulligan for both QBs. I don't care how good a QB is, very few would have been able to do anything with what the Jets had on the offensive line.

Like you've correctly said in numerous posts, this is not going to be something that you can slap a band-aid on. This is the result of years of negligence, starting with Bradway and continuing into the early years of Tannenbaum. A remedy won't be cheap or easy. I'd love to get the O-line fixed but I'm not holding my breath on the FO spending the capital necessary to get it done.

14. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Dude- you guys are being over dramatic. You are ready to ship Clemens off after a handful of games? This guy played behind one of the worst offensive lines in the history of the league. Before you declare the guy a bust, you need to give him at least 2 full seasons.

Just look at Philip Rivers...everyone said this guy ain't that good, and he may not be a superstar, but he stepped up big yesterday (before he got hurt)

You Jets fans need to calm down...

15. Italian Seafood

To be fair, Tannenbaum did use his first two picks, #1s, on the O-line, so it's hard to say he neglected it. The Kendall thing is certainly on him, but it's not like he didn't realize the line needed work and didn't address it. He just has three positions left to go.

16. Section 227. Row 5

Yeah, I agree. It's still early to be judging Tannenbaum, but if you put a gun to my head right now and demand an answer, I'd have to say I like having Tannenbaum calling the shots. The Kendall thing aside, I have no problem with his recent moves. I LOVE Reavis, Harris and before them Leon and Mangold and Brick... and Stuckey showed real promise before he got hurt at TC. Bringing in Thomas Jones for what we paid for him was an absolute steal. And everybody forgets about Joe Kowalewski on the back burner, but he's quietly coming along too... great kid with a great motor. Brad Smith you could question. Maybe some of the other WRs... and the nut job LB with the wild boar knife-hunting, what's his name from Ohio State?

Aside from some of the minor screwups (and I do consider Pete Kendall to be a minor screwup) I can't fault Tannenbaum. Chad's contract (for what we're getting in return) is the thing that has been stiffling us and still threatens to do so, but that isn't on Tannenbaum, because that was set in stone back in '02.

17. Italian Seafood

He's a guy that can make plays, I just think they use him too much. For a 4th round pick he can do a lot of things, he's just not great at any of them. Still, get the ball in his hands and he can make a play for you.

18. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

That's definitely a fair point and I loved Tannenbaum's first offseason. The second one is the one which left a lot to be desired and I think has us in the position we are today.

I think we'll see a change of philosophy this offseason. The easiest way to make the O-line respectable is to spend some cash this offseason and I think its doable but it won't be cheap. We'll see if their philosophy concerning FA changes any bit this offseason.

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Fair????

you play the BPA, and the Coaching staff seems to be of a mind that if you can get a QB in there that doesn't throw footballs with the same arc as a slow pitch softball, thats probably the way to go....

20. Section 227. Row 5

The bottom line is still this, fellas.

Show me a team with two of the best lines in the NFL and I'll show you a team that is a Superbowl contender. And I don't care if the QB is named Pee Wee Herman and your WRs are the Three Stooges.