An ocean between our Jets and NE

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Jan 12, 2008.

1. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Watching this game tonight, against a really good Jacksonville team, I am disheartened.

These Pats are just a machine. And from the owner on down to the last guy on the Practice Squad, the Jets are outmanned.

Only self-congratulation will slow this team down as long as Belichick and Brady are in place.

If there's any hope that the Jets will ever rise up and be something, we'll see an indicator of that shortly. If our owner shows himself to be unwilling again to invest in Free Agency, you can just close the door on challenging NE this decade.

I would at least hope that the FO is watching the playoffs and see the size of the lines that are succeeding. It is time to put away the notion of the small, "fast" guard and tackle and draft some XL talent, pick after pick after pick.

Brady is magnificent, but his line is the MVP of that team. They give thier QB 8 to 10 seconds on nearly every play.

2. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Your assessment is succinct and on target, although I love my Jets, this patriots team is indeed a machine, and we are a long way off. It is disheartening, I'm not giving up hope, but it really looks as though they have distanced themselves from the league, not just our beloved jets..... sad days ahead, but keep hope alive........

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets are so far away from competing with that team in New England that it's not even worth entertaining the possibility that they might.

If I see some real improvement in the management of the team I'll start to hope again, but I'm not wasting any energy on false hopes not backed by clear improvement. Odds are better than even that the current regime will be gone in a year or two and we don't even have a clue who is going to replace them yet.

4. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

The Pats make my stomach churn, but I have to acknowledge that they are goo and yes, we are a long way off.

The 2008 FA market will speak volumes for the Jets. If we invest in quality Offensive linemen and maybe a good defensive player, we are serious. If we do what we did this year, then I think Mangini and Tannenbaum just punched their ticket out of here at the end of 2008.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You could of started a thread called An ocean between our Jets and Jacksonville too. The Jaguars were very impressive tonight. The Jets are not half as good as the Jaguars and that surprised me honestly. Sadly though, it is true. This year's #5 seed in the AFC was much better than 2006's #5 seed in my opinion.

6. JetsLookingforDWare

Perfect mindset for mediocrity.

Why stick anything out if my sense of entitlement wasn't satisfied yesterday? I mean any and all good coaches can rebuild a team in one offseason. Two is pushing it. THREE? FOUR even? How'd they even get a job?

7. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

Boys and Girls.. This has been in the works since 2001.. You guys have to be patient .IMO..

8. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

I don't buy it . No doubt the Pats are terrific and they certainly look like a machine but every year is different. Many things can happen, injuries, developement of players, etc. Every year is a new year.Many teams had the look of invincibility(85 Bears, 2000 Rams, Cowboys in the 90's to name a few. 2008 is a brand new year.

9. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

News flash for those who are not paying attention, We are just as far from the Colts, Chargers and Jaguars as well. Were not that close to the Stealers and we will soon be chasing the browns and Texans as well. I will not even mention the fact that the dreaded Tuna is putting a team together in Miami that will be as good if not better than us by the 2010 season!

10. mcmagic

mcmagic New Member

If the jets were allowed to hold on every play and mug WR's in the endzone with no call's they would be a pretty good team too. They play with different rules than the rest of the league.

11. JetsLookingforDWare

TF? Parcells hasn't even hired a HC yet.

12. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

The O-line is the MVP of that team. They've drafted wonderfully and been willing to spend high draft picks on the line year after year. I think virtually any QB in the league would have had a monster year with that offense, let alone a great QB like Brady.

Also, the fact that Jacksonville blitzed about 5 times all games didn't make the line's job any tougher.

13. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Take off the hate colored glasses. I just went to a Jags site and they aren't whining and bitching about the officials. It's all right here on the hate the Pats.. I mean Jets site.

You guys stare at lineman so you can complain about holding, but you obviously only watch one team for that. You claim the Pats got all the calls, but conveniently ignore the fact that Welker got grabbed by the facemask at the end of the 2nd quarter and it wasn't called, costing a potential td. You jump on Harrison about his penalties (rightly so about the first one, the piling on), but all he did on the 2nd one is make the tackle because the receiver was still in bounds!

None of the Jags players or coaches complained either during or after the game about the offficiating. None of he media in Jacksonville and the folks on their message sites are complaining about the officiating.

No, it's just a bunch of biased haters on the Jets site trying to convince themselves that the Pats aren't that good.

I thought when I found this site that I'd get some insight into the Jets. I have gone to other sites and had decent conversation with fans of other teams. It seems that with a few exceptions, the folks on here are territorial and don't want an honest exchange of ideas, they want to hate.

Well, have a ball guys.

14. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

I think you have a point. They never seem to get called for holding. Every OL not matter how good will either get beat or called for holding at least once in a while but that never happens to the patriots. Ty Law got called for holding so many times when he played with the jets. How wonder how many times he got penalized in NE. Zero sounds about right.
    You would have to think that they won't be able to keep all their best players due to the salary cap like it has happened to so many teams that won the SB. But it looks like they have been raising the salary cap every year. Maybe they are doing it so that the patriots can keep their team intact.

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I thought the officiating was good tonight.

I have fewer complaints than you, in fact. Welker was not grabbed by the mask and the calls on Harrison were correct.

16. BossHogg

BossHogg New Member

I will admit the Pats are good! But I don't have to love them for it! Hate on, baby!

17. semperfidelisjetfan

semperfidelisjetfan New Member

Well, where were the jags fans when they sucked and werent in the playoffs. Thats because half their fans don't have a passion for the game and could care less. We know the pats are a great team and probabally the best in league. However, I still want Brady to snap his leg in next weeks AFC Championship game. Call me a sicko, but thats the way I feel right now.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Changes in a team's fortunes happen abruptly, not over a period of time, and they tend to happen in the first couple of years that a new management team is in place.

The Rags-to-Riches tales in the NFL recently, defined as a team down and out that subsequently became a consistent playoff contender, are the Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots and San Diego Chargers.

Philadelphia made the change in 2000. They hired Andy Reid in 1999 as head coach and executive VP of football operations and lived through another bad season before they arrived in 2000 and have been a perennial playoff team since then.

New England hired Belichik in 2000. They had one more bad season in them and he flipped them into the best team of this generation.

San Diego hired A.J Smith as their GM in 2003 and lived through, drumroll please, one more bad season before he turned them into a powerhouse.

For the most part teams that could not make significant progress in the first two seasons in which they were under new management failed to do so before said management was pushed out the door. This is not some strange kind of pessimistic fantasy, it's what happens when reality is assessed over a period of time. Good management shows improvement and bad management fails. The Jets had no siginficant injuries this year, they just sucked rocks, because their management sucked rocks. That is what it is.

#18 Br4d, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  19. Jetsfan5

Jetsfan5 New Member

Everyones just gotta have faith. You guys think the Pats fans in 2000 knew what their team would become? It begins with years of disciplined drafting. Mangini has been drafting good players. Once Revis, Harris, Mangold, D'Brick, etc. blossom, this ocean will start to look like a pond. Dynasties aren't built in 2 years. :cool:

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Re: 18
    Well, so far Eric Mangini is doing a good impression of Joe Collier.

Collier was a defensive backfield coach for the Patriots in the early 1960s.
    He became the head coach of the Bills in 1966 at the young age of 34.

1966 Bills: 9-4-1 (lost playoff game to Chiefs)
    1967 Bills: 4-10
    Collier's Bills lost their first two games in 1968. Collier was fired and was never again a head coach.

Young Patriots defensive backs coach, gets head job for other AFL/AFC East team, good first year, loses playoff game, team regresses big time the following season...

I'm just posting facts here.