Tannenbaum confirms Chad is returning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets18, Jan 7, 2008.

1. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Like on that pass in the Dallas game that Newman took back. Oh wait, that was Clemens that had a pick 6 returned on him on an out. My mistake. I thought that wasn't possible with his rocket arm :rolleyes:

2. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Clemens threw one of those INTs from the upright position all season despite his accuracy struggles...

The wiley veteran with the pin-point accuracy threw game-ending interceptions that were taken back week after week after week while trying to mount comebacks.... It's no mistake that as soon as the offense was forced to try to move down the field quickly, Chad started to turn it over...

3. KSJets

KSJets New Member

He didn't just struggle with his accuracy, he actually had none :up:

My point is that everyone harps on Chad with the 5 yard outs, but there were plenty of times that they were called that were successful, and there were plenty called with Clemens that were successful, and some that were not. The only real problem is that the OC called them practically all the time. It's easy to sit on routes when you call the same route from the same formation everytime.

4. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Actually I thought Kellen's accuracy was quite good, especially on medium length throws. Chad's accuracy is one of the most overrated parts of his game. Chad is not much more accurate than Kellen, but he has better touch especially on swing passes which Chad is among the best. Kellen needs to work on better touch and placement on short passes, and throwing a softer ball when possible, but his accuracy is not the problem.

5. KSJets

KSJets New Member

52% is not a problem?

Chad is not much more accurate?

:drunk:

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Chad's forward handoffs, ahem, dumps offs are pretty accurate, but if you haven't seen a significant degradation with his accuracy, you aren't watching the games. 'Much more' is a vomitous exaggeration.

#186 abyzmul, Jan 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  7. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Completion percentage and accuracy are not directly related, nor are touch and accuracy.

And 52% is not necessarily a problem if thy are mostly vertical passes, and if the QB makes plays when they are needed. Kellen made a lot of plays when he needed to and it is the reason his record was respectable despite bad "stats". Chad on the other hand consistently did NOT make any plays this year.

8. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Haven't you heard... no one is allowed to throw longer than 15 yards on the Jets team in fear of dishonoring Sir Chad!! That is why the playbook is intentionally short. :drunk:

9. KSJets

KSJets New Member

I'm actually referring to some of Kellen's passes that were way off target. I remember several that bounced to the receivers. I could live with a less than accurate QB if he was throwing a lot of deeper passes, but it was Kellen's inaccuracies on the short and intermediate routes that was concerning me. He was NOT launching passes all over the field. His short dumpoffs weren't even on target.

But I also know he had happy feet behind our OL so I'm willing to see how his accuracy improves with a decent OL in front of him. If he's still inaccurate with an improved OL, then we can start to worry.

10. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Were those the passes when he was hit from the left, right, or middle? Was he already wrapped up? That sums up his season.

Your right with a better line, he will be a much better QB.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Clemens definitely suffered from unassisted accuracy issues this season. At least the games i was watching he did.

12. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I don't think he threw a slant on target all year. That is a 3 step drop and you definately have time for those. I can remember one in the ground about 5 yards in front of the receiver. Also one game the anouncer kept commenting on how he needs to hit his receivers in the body in traffic because everything was way in front.

This is the type of thing that worries me. He should be able to make a presnap read, make his three step drop and release the ball on target. I don't know what the issue is, but I do know we need a experienced QB coach.

13. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Didn't seem to bother Chad.

And for the record, I know Clemens can throw the ball farther and harder than Chad. I WANT to see what Clemens can do next year. I am simply talking about the shorter throws that he seemed to struggle with. Those are throws that Chad has no problem throwing. With our OL, those are the throws we needed unfortunately because neither QB had a lot of time back there.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Why would a picture tell me more than video? yeah he was hit as he was throwing it, that's not the debate. it never should have come to that, he held onto the ball too long.

Chad had 4 qtrs to win that game? No team beat NE starting 0-0, how the heck did you expect him to lead us to a W on the road down 7 when he came in?

Where do Curtis and Mawae come into this discussion? You are all over the place.

Sort of like KC's to Coles agains Pitt? which got Coles injured. Against Cincy w/ coverage Chad threw a strile to coles, aginst pitt w/ nobody near Coles for 10 yards KC underthrew him and got him hurt.

The D created a ton of TOs against Miami and KC did nothing against the Chiefs. The OT game against Pitt he had the great game tying drive but that was it, leon set us up for the W in OT.

What? Kellen was awful! he was Nagle-like, he was the worst QB in the league.

Cotch missed a game, Coles missed 3 w/ KC and 2 w/ Chad and the reason coles missed games was b/c of Clemens' underthrow. no excuses at WR.

Less time to learn the O? what? it was Chad's 2nd year in the O in '02 and first year playing and it was the 2nd year in the O for Clemens this year and 1st year playing.

He did have less talent on the OL but Chad's Ol was badly beaten up and playing horribly until Chad and his quick decisions came in and made the Ol look better. KC came in and made a bad Ol look worse by holding onto the ball too long and once again that HOF RB had 98 TOTAL YARDS in the first 4 games that Chad didn't start. Curtis had the worst full season of his career. Thomas Jones had as good of an '07 season as Curtis did in 2002 so again no excuses.

He has always been a winner, he's had some injury problems that have hurt his play and overall #s but he's been a winner w/ the exception of 2007.

The team around him wasn't very good, the D was awful the 1st half of the year. if we had the same D that showed up in the 2nd half playing in the 1st half kellen never would have gotten the chance to play as we would have been in the hunt all year.

Chad is clearly not as good as he was pre-surgeries BUT that doesn't mean he can never get that back. Plenty of QBs get better w/ age. look at vinny, Gannon, look at what todd Collins just did, trent Green, favre stunk for a few years and he was great this year. You don't throw away players after 1 bad year.

yep the pitcture shows what the viedo does not:rolleyes: Go back and watch the clip then get back to me.

It's impossible to make points when you have incorrect information like once again you have provided. We didn't score our Td after a David barrett INT that left us at the Ten 31. Chad led us to a TD immediately after Ten scored to take a 7-0 lead, we started our possession from our own 23. The following possession barrett had an INt at the 31- the JETS 31. So that 1 yard has turned into into 39 yards. Get your facts straight before you respond please.

I WANT Clemens to do well, I don't care who the QB is as long as he performs and we win. Clemens showed us very little this season and he made zero progress from the Bal game to the KC game. Right now Chad is the MUCH better option, we need to get our D to play all season like they did in the 2nd half and we need to upgrade the OL and I guarantee you will will be a playoff caliber team next year.

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Kellen doesn't have any accuracy, half the passes he completed were high and wide and great catches by his receivers. Kellen's biggest problem(besides decision making) is his lack of accuracy.

Chad's yards per attempt was 6.8, KC's was 6.1.

16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Those left-handed flip shovel passes vs the Chiefs also went in his stats as passing yardage, one was a TD by Jones, when in reality they were running plays with the flip instead of a handoff. Stats are deceiving.

17. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I've explained Chad's YPA phenomenon, and why YPC is a much more telling stat with him many times, and I don't want to do it again.

But for the record:

Clemens: 11.76 Yards per completion

Chad: 9.86 Yards per completion

18. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

I guess that settles it. Clemens will lead us to the SB in 08.

19. BossHogg

BossHogg New Member

Time for us to part ways with Chad " I have no arm" Pennington.

20. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Very creative