One Hell of a QB Mess

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Section 227. Row 5, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah but George slotted neatly into that period when Indy was having trouble doing a lot right. They picked up Marshall Faulk and Jim Harbaugh (who is another QB that Cutler resembles some) the year they gave up on George and basically continued the same pattern of terrible year - good year into the Peyton Manning era.

I watched Cutler play at Vanderbilt and what I saw was a strong-armed QB with very little leadership ability. He had a couple of decent receivers and he could throw the ball 45 yards on a line, but when the chips were down he inevitably threw the pick or took the sack or fumbled and they lost.

In Denver he is surrounded by a LOT more talent, relatively speaking, than he was at Vanderbilt and so the record is a little bit better but it's still the same old "drop back, throw the ball, make the crowd ooh and ah, and then take another loss that maybe shouldn't have been" pattern that he had in college.

Maybe he'll grow out of it, but I think there's a reason that arm wound up at Vanderbilt in the first place.

2. akibud

akibud Active Member

I can only imagine the reason Cutler was never going to get picked 4th, was because the team figured to give Chad a fair shot and cover themselves with a second round pick. If they had decided to start the new Jets with a QB, Cutler would have been chosen with the 4th pick.

3. Br4d

There's just no way. If the Jets were going to take a QB on the 4 they'd have taken Leinart, not Cutler. As people have pointed out they were trying to draft Chad's heir apparent in a controlled passing offense and they were not looking for a mad bomber.

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

you might be right but he was clearly the best QB prospect in last years draft and based on what we are looking at we probably should have tried to trade down and grab him.

5. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I was dissapointed with Clemens play also. I did not see any flashes of greatness that I was hpoing. Losing Coles and then Cotchery hurt his development though. I am still hoping that he can be a winning QB in the league. QB's don't grow on trees and I don't want to draft a QB so with Chad's cap #, its the Clemens/Chad show again. No matter who QB they will need better protection and a running game. That said, we better pray that Clemens is clearly the better QB in TC or else its dink, dunk and lose once again

6. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Did we actually lose Cotchery for any time? I know he broke a finger in practice, but he continued to play well late in the year. Had a couple of 100 yards games, at least one with each QB if I'm not mistaken.

7. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Only one game missed by Cotch I think... he had come back the next game and did surprisingly well if I remember right even with the finger injury.

8. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That sounds right. I was at the Cleveland game on a shitty day and he had over 100 yards, and he had another big day at Tennessee. I think he might have missed the game at Miami?

9. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Yes, he only missed the Miami game. He had 119 against Cleveland and 152 at Tenn. The shyte game was Pit with 5 yards, one reception.

10. JetsLookingforDWare

Yea...I saw the exact opposite in Cutler.

And no he wasn't surrounded by ALOT of talent. Brandon Marshall and who? An aging O-line? An oft-injured Javon Walker? Daniel Graham? Brandon Stokely?

Sorry, but you associate good qualities with results way too early in guys careers. Cutler IMO was the best leader of the 3 QBs, even over the almighty Vince Young. Every major Vandy victory or close game under Cutler was BECAUSE of Cutler, and that stood out to me way more than Young and Leinart playing on loaded teams and winning.

I'm guessing by "a couple decent recievers" you meant Earl Bennett? Bennett was a freshman when Cutler was a senior.

I'll put it this way...Vandy sucked with Cutler...not because of Cutler. No way they beat Tenn., challenge Florida, and really win 5 games without Cutler.

Really weird logic you have with QBs though...Denver isn't winning so it must be Cutler and his lack of leadership skills...ignore the worst run D in the NFL....the aging and injured O-line...Henry's suspension...Champ's down year...Vandy didn't win games cause he wasn't a great leader then to...despite the porous D in the SEC, the O-line, the lack of weapons...

#230 JetsLookingforDWare, Jan 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I guess, but we're still one year too early. Two of those players have been okay and two have been bad.
    So far, you'd rank them thusly:
    1. Cutler
    2. Ferguson
    3. Clemens
    4. Justice

Next season is when we should have a good idea about these players.

12. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Huh. I don;t think Cutler has been that impressive. None of them have yet, really. I am not convinced that in the long run Cutler will be better than Kellen at all.

13. Br4d

I've seen enough of Cutler to know that Denver does not go to the line of scrimmage expecting for him to lead them to a win. They had that with Jake Plummer and then he'd let them down now and again, but they just don't have that at all with Cutler.

In a lot of ways Cutler is just an extension of the Griese years, as if Plummer was never there.

14. JetsLookingforDWare

1. Cutler was a second year starter.

2. Denver was on a ton this season. Anyone watching could see the offense is going to be build around Cutler.

3. They didn't ask him to beat the Steelers, but he did it.

4. I wouldn't put the weight of winning or losing solely on a 1st year starter either if I was a head coach.

5. Mike Shanahan's teams are constantly balanced offensively.

15. BossHogg

BossHogg New Member

Yeah I think Cutler will be the better QB, between him and Leinart!

16. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Glad to see this thread is still going strong... a reflection on what most troubles Jets fans right now (and should).

Cutler and Leinart? Young? How could we have known what the future would hold?

Garth Brooks sums it up pretty well in his hit song "The Dance":

And I...
    I'm glad I didn't know,
    The way it all would end,
    The way it all would go...oh...
    Our lives...
    They're better left to chance,
    I could've missed the pain,
    But I'd have had to miii....isssss... The Dance.....

Kinda reminds me of being a Jets fan.... We all have the hopes and dreams and go to the games thinking this could be the year. Think of the fun we'd miss if we always knew the way things were going to turn out....

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You just lost about 400 cool points for quoting a Garth Brooks song.

18. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Tom Petty says it better? (LOL)

19. KSJets

KSJets New Member

He should be in negative numbers after that one :grin:

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Actually, I think Cannibal Corpse wrote a much more fitting song to our situation:

FORCE-FED BROKEN GLASS

Flesh starts to rip
    Gouging through skin
    From the throat
    Blood gushes
    Glandular eruption
    Blistered skin secretion
    Internal punctures
    Blood regurgitation

Gagging, choking, on broken glass

Shredded muscle tissue
    Wounds too deep to heal