Tannenbaum confirms Chad is returning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets18, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

OMG... :lol: No one told me it was amateur standup night around here. :breakdance:

I remember when they were saying Patrick Ramsey was the answer. :eek:hmy:

2. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Where do you see that Rex Grossman is the answer? I am pretty sure it says that we could pick him up cheap, and be a good backup for Clemens. As far as a solid NFL starter. He can make every throw on the field. You put him in our offensive plan he may be more successful. How hard is to throw to a running back.

3. Phyr

Phyr Member

I can't believe anyone could be against this move.

1) In the free market, competition is good. Competition will bring the best out in both Chad and Kellen. Both have something to prove. Chad has to prove that he can still cut it as a starter. Kellen has to prove that he can be a franchise QB. If Kellen wins the job in training camp, we always have the option trade Chad to a team in desperate need of a QB.

2) Veteran QBs with starting and playoff experience do not grow on trees. Just because Chad is no longer our long term solution at QB does not mean that we should just throw him away. Look at what Todd Collins did with the Redskins at the end of the season. If Kellen goes down, do you really think that Brad Smith or Tui can realistically win a big game in a pinch for us?

3) Putting it out their that we want to keep Chad with force teams that need QB help to increase their offer if they want to get him.

4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Yes, Grossman makes all the throws on the field. Including ones to the other team. He's a never should have been. Backup material, possibly. With a bad OL he'd make a wonderful tackling dummy. Solid NFL starter... ahem, no. :)

5. Tight

Tight Active Member

Smokescreens maybe...

If teams think were going to trade him they'll lowball us right ?

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am still not 100% convinced but I hope this is true and I hope we can upgrade the OL. if we can upgrade the OL w/ Chad starting, TJ running and Coles and Cotch catching we'll be a playoff calibe team again.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

At this point he HAS to say that.

1) the FA QBs are garbage, and signing one would only save maybe 2mil next season. People can argue the "upside" of Grossman & Losman, and wouldn't be horrible but mentally they're worse than Clemens. IF they do keep Chad, at least he would be a solid reliever who knows the gameplan

2) If a team was interested why would they trade for someone that was going to be cut?

the only reason it would be bad is the potential confidence damage to Clemmens, looking over his shoulder the whole time, but so far he doesn't look like he improved over the course of the season, and a reliable backup isn't a bad thing.

That being said, I was a Chad fan, but after those shoulder injuries his best days are long past. :sad:

8. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Be prepared, another wasted season coming our way if Chad starts. Like I said in other posts, if they were competiting who is the best quarterback to start, why didn't KC started this season, because Chad sucked in pre-season.

9. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Blame that on the coaches. If it was an open competition, Chad would have thown a pass in the first game.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I agree ...

11. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

It's likely to be a wasted season no matter who starts... but please, go back to your Kleenexes.

:wink:

12. Beamen

Beamen New Member

If Clemens starts, no matter the record, there WILL be a positive result..

Either Clemens will prove he's the guy, and we'll know we have our QB of the future...

Or Clemens will prove he's not the guy, and we'll know we need to go in a different direction..

If Chad starts, no matter the record, we will not find out anything we didn't already know about out QB situation

13. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Hopefully the Coaching staff and Mgmt share your sentiments. We lose no matter what with Chad under center.

14. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

How is that a positive result? We have another shitty season but at least we know why? I'm not seeing this logic. We just went 4-12, don't mistake consistent losing for "rebuilding".

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Chad consistently lost more than Clemens did. If the Jets are going to consistently lose I'd much rather they did it with somebody who might be a good QB for them in 2 years as opposed to somebody who most likely will be retired then.

16. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Because if Clemens starts the whole season, and proves without a doubt that he is not capable of being the starter, we will know we need to move in a new direction, and draft a QB of the future....

If you're going to lose, you may as well set yourself up for success in the future... We need to find out about Clemens one way or another. If he's not out future, we need to find someone who is...

That guy isn't going to be Chad... It's going to be Kellen, or a new young QB after him.

How is that so hard to grasp?

17. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Because you're willing to throw another season away--after we just went 4-12--to get one guy his chance. That is putting an individual ahead of the team and I'm not for it. I don't see how finding out for sure that one guy sucks is in any way setting up future success, it makes no sense.

I have no problem with Clemens starting and getting his chance, I hope it works out for the good of the team. But if it doesn't I want someone who can step in and maybe salvage the season at least. It doesn't mean they don't still have to go get another long term solution or you're committing the future to Chad again, but at least next year doesn't have to go totally down the tubes. And as I keep trying to explain to biggs, the coaches and GM can't afford to have another shit season just to learn about one player, they will lose their jobs.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This right here is exactly what the Pennington argument boils down to at this point. Some people want to try and catch lightning in a bottle with a mediocre team lead by chad while others want to find a top notch QB so that the Jets can become a dominant team competing for a championship on a regular basis.

Both sides have valid points. Getting that top notch QB is very hard to do. It's also very hard to win a championship without that QB. The slightly above average QB can get you into the playoffs and give you a chance to catch lightning on a regular basis while trying to find that top notch QB may lead to non-playoff seasons where we aren't very competitive. Once you do find that QB though, you have an opportunity to become a dominant team for a long period of time.

Obviously both sides require the rest of the team to be solid as well, with the average QB needing the rest of the team to be absolutely lights out.

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Hold off on that retirement talk.

I understand Pennington is scheduled to work with noted trainer Ed McNamee, who helped Roger Clemens rediscover the lost zip from his fastball....:rofl2:

20. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I am not against Clemens starting for the record, but this next season will likely amount to a 6-8 win season overall. Technically it will be a waste because we won't be in the mix come playoff time. What I am against is giving up on our "mediocre" QB simply because I've decided to irrationally hate him. You are right though, we do need to figure out what we have and where we need to go with the QB position.

Clemens needs to come to TC this summer and take this team over and make it his own. He needs to beat out whatever competition they put in front of him. It shouldn't take an entire season with a re-tooled OL to see some progress and get an idea if he is going to be the future. He's had a few shitty starts under his belt with a crappy offense. Now its time for him to buck up and prove himself.