One Hell of a QB Mess

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Section 227. Row 5, Jan 3, 2008.

1. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

And that is not a good thing. I would prefer a dummy who could sling it like Farve, Marino, Aikman or Bradshaw. Brains can get you but so far without talent! It has managed to get Chad an early Playoff exit every year.

2. FOURTHANDLONG

The play book and game plan is designed for a West Coast weak armed Qb. Period. Are you going to say our playbook is designed to go deep more than once a game? The 20 yard out or post pattern and Post has been missing from this offense since Vinny left town. Brad Smith is a joke when he lines up at Qb or Wr. A experiment that needs to be shut down asap!

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Farve, Marino, Aikman and Bradshaw were dummies? Aside from Favre they were all incredibly accurate. And since when is competition for jobs in camp not a good thing?

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You have to be thinking about a different Terry Bradshaw. He's the perfect "Clemens has a chance to be very good" comparison, since he was horribly inaccurate and interception prone his first two seasons and somewhat so for his career as a whole and yet he was the consummate field leader for much of his career when the going got tough.

5. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Here we go again making excuses for Chads chicken wing arm. It will be another waste of a season if he started. Damn this franchise is really that stupid..

6. FOURTHANDLONG

Look up where all of the above rank all time in Interceptions. They are all accurate but they all threw a bunch of picks and would come out with a gunslingers mentality and win games when their teams were bad which would cause their picks. Competition for Jobs is a good thing I just think it's time for somebody other than Chad to compete for the job.

7. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Right, and IF they were competing for the job last year why didn't KC start? Chad looked like shit in pre-season, but they still started him.

8. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Then why do we throw the ball outside the numbers so much? That is the longest throw in football that requires velocity and arm strength, yet we continue to call the play even with Chad and also with Kellen. I don't see how this is tailored to Chad.

9. Italian Seafood

Favre has played more games than just about anyone and Marino played for 16 years on a team that rarely ran the ball, so they are bound to throw a lot of INTs. Look, I'm rooting for Clemens to be one of those guys as hard as anyone, I just don't see it yet. Considering he's missed two games to injury in his first eight, we can cross Favre off the list already.

10. FOURTHANDLONG

Your absolutely right. So much for the best man wins the job mangini approach.

11. FOURTHANDLONG

I will agree that they have played more games and threw more than anybody but they still made the unsafe throws to win games that Chad will or can not. With the Pats, Chargers and Colts in the Afc Mediocre is not gonna get it done.
    Not to mention Jacksonville, Cleveland and Pitt who are way better than us. Now we throw the Parcells X factor in our division and we have one big mess. Serviceable will not get it done at the Qb position anymore for us.

12. Italian Seafood

Mangini clearly thinks Chad is the better QB. He put Clemens in when the season was toast to get a look at him and get him some work. Clemens was medically cleared to come back in the NE game, Mangini stuck with Chad because he was playing well and he wanted badly to win that game. Clemens could have played at Tennessee, but they were battling Cleveland for the last playoff spot and Mangini is Romeo's buddy, so he again went with his better guy. When we got to a meaningless game against Herm that we were better off losing, he went back to Clemens.

13. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

The Jets medical staff has a reputation of clearing just about everyone to play under most circumstances. I wouldnt put too much stock into him being cleared to play in those games.

But the most compelling reason to play Clemens this season was to take a look at him and see if he was indeed going to be the QB of the future. The jury is certainly still out on that.

14. Italian Seafood

I agree completely, which is why we need Chad in case Clemens doesn't get it done.

I was kind of stoking the fire with the first part, but it did cross my mind. You know Mangini wanted to beat the Pats, so if he had Clemens available and thought he was the better guy, he'd have put him back in. Just like he did with Chad in the first Pats game.

15. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

I would not be upset if CP is on the Jets next season. He is a very serviceable backup- better than just about every other backup in the league.

But if he ends up starting, then the new regime will have failed to install a new QB in three off seasons, and the same limitations on the offense will continue.

16. Italian Seafood

The better guy has to play. If they win and go to the playoffs, it would be twice in three years and it won't matter if they changed QBs or not. If they play badly, then whoever isn't playing will get another shot.

17. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Was this a stated goal of the organization... to start a new QB over X timeframe? I think not. The goal is to win games. Something I am willing to bet we could have done with a better OL.

18. Italian Seafood

That's the stated goal of the posters here. They would rather lose with a young guy because that's "progress".

19. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

At this point, unless pennington's arm regenerates, I do not see him as a legitimate starting QB for the Jets.

In TC of 06, it was clear to me he had won the QB competition, and I posted that even before the CS made any announcements of who would be the starter. It was a slam dunk that he should be the starter.

In 07, I supported Mangini's decision to go with CP, as he had come off of a good season where the team went to the playoffs, and Clemens showed some fundamental flaws in TC that showed he wasnt ready to start the opener against the Pats.

But after seeing CP play this year, it is pretty clear that his arm is even worse than it was last year (and even worse than it was over the summer, when his midrange passes had more velocity).

I suppose that if KC stinks it up in camp next summer, the CS will start someone else who looks better whuich may be Chad, but then the same issues are going to resurface unless he shows he can make all the throws, which is unlikely.

20. FOURTHANDLONG

It is better to lose with a young guy until you find a Qb who can get you to the next level. Staying with an aging 30 year old who is past his prime makes no sense for a few meaningless wins.