Just saw this on NFL.COM

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Tight, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Tight

Tight Active Member

2. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

there are some of Barrett, Revis and Mangold, too. You can watch them at nyjets.com

3. Quack

Quack New Member

Got links? I can't find them.

4. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

i don?t know how to link videos from nyjets.com go to news->multimedia->jets tv->extras

5. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Shame on anybody who wants him gone, alot of guys in the league play for the money and we got one plays just to play and ya want him gone.

6. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

If we put the proper players around Vilma, I think he can be very successful. Willis and Vilma are fairly similar players, except Willis has much better players up front.

May I also add that he has been playing with an undisclosed knee injury and how can anyone say that the injury has not affected his play?

7. JetsLookingforDWare

It would help if he could play well in the system.

I've been a huge Vilma fan back to his Miami days, and its cause of that that I want him to be in a place he'll succeed.

8. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

By far my favourite NFL player, if he leaves I will be physically ill, fuck Mangini if he can't make a player like this work in a New York Jets system

9. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

It's Mangini's fault Vilma is 15 pounds smaller than your average 3-4 ILB?

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I bet it was Shawn Ellis that was bragging about having a career game. He never played a better game before that and ,shamefully, after that. He just took the Jets money and went on with his average career.

Meanwhile John Abraham, who everyone villified on this board, was injured during Atlanta's last game of this season but kept getting treatments and played through the injury to help the Falcons win a meanlingless game last weekend.

You don't get rid of special players and Abraham and Vilma are special players.

11. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Problem with guys like Abraham (and Santana Moss for that matter) is that they're special about 8 games a season and on the sidelines hurt the other 8. I'd take Ellis over Abraham without thinking twice. Ellis is as over-maligned as Abraham is over-rated.

12. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Abraham misses 8 games in 2 years and he's a hero, but Ellis plays every single game (records 10 sacks as a 3-4 DE), and all he cares about is money. Even though Ellis accepted the contract that Abraham turned down.

You can't make this stuff up. :rofl:

13. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

I totally agree, but I think with a real NT and David Harris playing next to him he can still be good in this system.

With that being said I would trade him for an early 2nd round pick in a heart beat, but coming off his season ending knee injury I dont see that happening.....

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

I'll take Abraham and his game changing plays for 8 games vs 16 games of nothing with Ellis. I can throw a jersey out on the field and it will accomplish as much as Ellis does in some games.

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

Since 2004, Ellis has played in 45 games and has 13 sacks and 3 forced fumbles. Over the same time period, Abraham has played in 40 games and has 25 sacks and 14 forced fumbles. And you prefer Ellis. Decisions like that turn a 10 win team with a good defense into a 4 win team with a crummy defense that can't get off the field or force turnovers. You can't make that stuff up.:breakdance:

16. Tight

Tight Active Member

17. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

So, Abraham's more of a playmaker. That's never been disputed (although it's funny you refuse to acknowledge the system Ellis has played in for 2 of those 3 seasons you picked does not ask him to make plays, instead occupy blockers and let the linebackers make the plays). But Ellis doesn't constantly miss games, and on a 3-4 line with D-Rob and Coleman, is still doing a fine job when teams run his way.

If you want a guy who is a playmaker for 10-12 games a season on average, who wants to be paid like a guy who consistently posts 16 game seasons and records 15+ sacks, then take Abraham by all means.

I'll take the guy who consistently plays almost every single game, averages about 5 sacks per season in the 3-4 (which is basically a double digit tally in the 4-3), and is the only guy on an undersized and overmatched line who defends the run well.

18. Tight

Tight Active Member

I think coleman was the best run stopper on this defense as far as the o-line goes man...

19. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Coleman consistently missed his gaps and was making tackles 3-4 yards upfield. Infact, as I check, I'm not surprised that Coleman had so many tackles. He made a lot of gap mistakes. He's a good rotational player, though, who has room for improvement.

20. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

ehh coleman is mediocre at best