Fullback Anyone? We need one.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenHornet, Jan 4, 2008.

1. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I really think we should draft one of the better fullbacks out there this draft. I know there are other higher priorities like O-line, D-line and/or LB corps, and WR.

Assuming we do aggressively use the FA amrket to fix our O-line, one of the other ingredients to a good running game and even passing game for that matter is a big fullback.

If we don't use our 3rd round pick on a fullback (probably not necessary), we should definitely do it in the 4th round.

Here's what's available:

#11 Jorvorskie Lane
    Born: February 4, 1987
    Hometown: Lufkin, TX
    Height: 6-0
    Weight: 263 lbs. Age: 20
    Pos: RB
    Class: Junior (The guy may declare to test the market, but he is big, but a hair on the slowish side at 4.9 - who cares - he is actually 13 pounds heavier than Beattis was coming out fo college. If this guy gets going he will be very tough to bring down. He does look a little weak in the arms, though.)

ATT 169 | YDS 780 | TD 16

[​IMG]

Peyton Hillis, Arkansas
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 240.
    40 Time: 4.78.

I actually would prefer a little heavier, but that's just me. This guy did block for Darren MacFadden for what it's worth.

[​IMG]

Here is we should zero in on in the draft:

Owen Schmitt, West Virginia
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 250. He actually listed at 260 now.
    40 Time: 4.81.
    Carried the ball 13 times for 109 yards in the Gator Bowl against Georgia Tech.
    I think this guy has what it takes to be very good at the position.

[​IMG]

#1 GreenHornet, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  2. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Get Mike Cox in the 7th, he's probably the best blocking fullback in the draft, but that's all he's good at.

Not sure how you can call Owen Schmitt a sleeper, most people have him ranked as the top FB in the draft

#2 DraftaFullBack, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  3. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I guess sleeper was a poor choice of words in this case, but I really think the guy would bhe good here. Picking up just a blocking fullback is too one dimensional.

Here's some footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbwbWOJM-bM

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Javorsike Lane can't block and he can't hold on to the football. He's a FAT running back.

Schmitt is probably the best all-around fullback in this year's draft and I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets take him with a 4th-6th round pick.

Peyton Hillis and Jacob Hester are also pretty good options for fullback.

5. themasochist

themasochist New Member

Take Schmitt as soon as humanly possible. He's a smart, dedicated team player that makes everyone around him better. He's an absolute superman in the weight room and can run, catch and block with the best of them. The guy appears to be a top notch human being as well. That goes a long way in this day of a-hole NFL players.

6. themasochist

themasochist New Member

Lane looks like he's 1 cheeseburger away from playing NT.

263 at 20 and pudgy looking is not gonna make it in the NFL. Too slow.

I'd rather have the workout warrior Schmitt.

7. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Why draft a fullback? Why not get a good blocking tightend and line him up in the backfield instead? Belichik is right on this, the day of the blockingback as a runningback is over. The day of the blockingback as an outlet receiver is where we're at now and a decent tightend is both a better blocker and a better receiver than most runningbacks can possibly be.

The appropriate breakdown between runningbacks and tightends on a roster is three halfbacks and three tight ends.

9. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

Seriously, why does everyone say we need a fullback? We never would use one, and people say its cuz we dont have one and thats not true we cut Barnes cuz he had no place in this offense not because he sucked( well he kinda sucked but thats besides the point)

If you must get a Good all around Te ala Heath Miller of Jason Witten but I think MANY needs should be addressed before we go there so i say no go on the FB

10. Ten

Ten Active Member

I really liked what I saw in Jason Pociask(sp?) in preseason and felt he had the potential to be a good h-back,I haven't had the time to watch him during the season but he's my tip for starting FB/H-back next season.

11. All Star

All Star Active Member

I thought we signed a good blocking FB in Barnes, but we never used him, so why acquire another one?

Anyway, Just because a guy is big and athletic doesn't mean he can block, most of the guys you have mentioned are used to running with the ball, not blocking.

12. rillo

rillo New Member

Yes...we do need a fullback in this offense....I'm sick of running out the single back formation....Jones and Washington will have better numbers with a lead blocker IMO. Besides a retooled Oline.

13. Bizprof

Bizprof New Member

Sign BJ Askew. I hear he's a pro bowler now

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Jones does not run into a designated hole, more often than he picks a space, and that sort of negates any impact a FB would have...

Jones will have better numbers next season when he goes back to the film, and sees the 300 odd yards he left on the field, by running inside of Clement, instead of following Baker.

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

........:rofl2:

16. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

I like Jacob Hester alot.

17. Quack

Quack New Member

Both Hillis and Schmitt should be able to play H-Back better than Ryan, Pociask or Kowalewski, and I'm a fan of Kowalewski.

18. e-x

e-x New Member

full backs take time to develop, they need to first and foremost be good blockers

we don't need one, but if we did, i would bring in a free agent over a draft pick

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

All I want in a FB is a road grader to clear the path for the RB behind him, and have halfway decent hands for an occasional checkdown pass.

20. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

No Love for The Dawgs?
    Southerland might come into the draft this year although he's a junior. He definitely has the talent! Watching him play reminds me of Moose Johnston or even Tom Rathman. He's a beast of a blocker, plus he's got great hands -- and is dangerous coming out of the backfield. He is seriously one of the reasons Knowshon Moreno has had such a stellar year.

[​IMG]

Brannan Southerland
    Ht: 6-0 Wt: 235
    Position: FB
    Date of Birth: 11/12/1985