Jets | Team may pursue Suggs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Jan 2, 2008.

1. BossHogg

BossHogg New Member

Vilma needs to be traded, he doesn't fit the 3-4 system!

2. BossHogg

BossHogg New Member

JetsLookingforDWare,
    That's one sweet avatar pic!

#22 BossHogg, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  3. JetsLookingforDWare

I think Ellis is seriously underrated by Jets fan. He's not Richard Seymour or anything like that, but he's a solid DE in the 3-4 whose easily been our most consistent player the past 2 years.

I mean, that DOES say more about the state of the Jets D than it does Ellis...of course he could be upgraded...but I'd definitely rather replace Coleman and DRob first. Actually if Ellis were younger, I wouldn't mind keeping him and trying to replace the other guys to see how he does.

Everyone on the D-line needs to go, but I don't think that means Ellis is a crappy player. I don't even get why Jets fans hate him so much anymore...so he isn't a superstar...he's had a good career and is more of a consistent playmaker than the other two guys right now.

#23 JetsLookingforDWare, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Suggs is probably talking to NE

5. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

WTF? Are you serious? Victor Hobson is down right horrible, cant shed a block, can't rush the QB. Takes horrible angles time and time again. Victor Hobson sucks, he's nothing more then a backup LB in the NFL. If you think different you clearly dont know football, or have not watched the him play.

6. JetsLookingforDWare

Last. Year. More tackles and sacks.

7. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

This is a pipe-dream.

Newsome is no dummy...He had to sacrifice Adalius to the Pats so he can have room to sign a Suggs. You don't let players who haven't even hit the prime of their career walk when you let a stud walk the season before.

B-More will lock him up.

8. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I thought it was good business they did with Suggs last year as well , IMHO I don't think hes going anywhere.

9. dubagedi

dubagedi New Member

I'm not sure if Baltimore will resign him. IIRC Suggs excelled much more when they had a 3-4 a few years back than he is now with a 4-3. With all the old, aging guys on that team (McNair, Lewis, Todd Heap) and the big contracts they might be in some big cap trouble next year and Suggs may walk. If he does he'd be a perfect fit for either the Jets or the Pats.

10. gustoonarmy

He He couldn't resist that could you :wink:

11. MCFADDENJETS07

I like Ryan's hairdo its cool!

12. dubagedi

dubagedi New Member

Haha I wasn't even trying to be smug, I was thinking that Suggs was a good 3-4 linebacker with Baltimore and would fit with most teams that play a 3-4 and being a Pats fan their 3-4 quickly came to mind.

13. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I don't know why the infatuation w/Suggs.

IMO, If we get that Beast 3-4 NT and move Vilma to the Outside or just play him along side Harris we will get the Production we need w/o having to spend anything on aquiring another LB..

...AORN, he isn't a step up because his stats are pretty much what we already have here now and actually he has diminished over the last few years.

[​IMG]

14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Suggs is like the inverse of Vilma, in that he is suffering without the 3-4. His tackles are up but sacks are down which probably means he has more run blocking responsibility now rather than pass rushing, which he would be back to doing in the 3-4.

Vilma has also been declining, and we know it isn't because of his talent, but because of the system he is in. Have them swap roles and they'd probably both excel, with Suggs as an OLB on the Jets and Vilma as a MLB on the Ravens... that is of course assuming Ray Lewis vacates the spot.

15. gustoonarmy

Lewis has got to go sometime.
    If we ended up doing a straight trade with Baltimore , what value would the Vilma/Suggs trade be?

16. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

^so his sacks went down...that could be attributed to the switch to the 4-3. His tackle numbers actually went up. I think him paired with BT will give us two huge/fast for their size OLBs capable of disrupting offensive game plans.

Suggs' 52-26-5 is far better production than BT's 39-8-2.5 or VH's 48-14-2. Those extra sack numbers are what opposing offenses must plan for and the extra tackles show he can get it done. The extra attention on him can only help the rest of our D.

On a side note...interesting that VH's numbers are better than BT's...did we re-sign the wrong guy?

17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Personally, I'd just rather the Jets sign Suggs AND draft Gholston. Yeah Thomas may have a huge contract, so I propose we use him, along with David Bowens as rotational guys, thus assuring that Matt Chatham never again plays in any sort of capacity on the defensive unit... now if only we can find a way to eliminate Kassell from ever touching the field as well...

18. brothermoose

IF we can sign Suggs, that would be our biggest defensive addition of the offseason. I don't see us replicating that by drafting another OLB in Gholston. This is especially true considering BT's 5 million dollar bag of rocks around the FO's necks. I happen to be in the camp that believes that Mr. Cactus is one premiere OLB (and maybe a new DC) away from last year's production. Again, IF we sign Suggs, I see us going with Laurinaitis to replace Barton, who's already on the hot seat.

19. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

There is no need to trade for Suggs; he is a UFA.

20. brothermoose

That's what Atlanta fans said about Abe two years ago.