Who/What to draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Green Guy, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

I have to say I'm not impressed with the upcomming draft - and I'm not 100% sure there's one guy on the board I want with the #6 pick?

Glenn Dorsey is the only sure fire guy I like - and he'll be long gone. McFadden is a great back, but we have RB's. We need a NT or game breaking WR and none will be there worthy of the #6 pick.

I love DeShaun Jackson of Cal - but he's not a perfect sized buy for the NFL - maybe too small to be a #1 WR. No one else in this draft is a #1 WR.

If possible (and it's doubtful) I'd rather trade down and maximize - but if not I'd either look to trade the pick, sign an URFA and lose the pick, or pick LB James Laurinitas if I'm forced to use the pick - he's the safest sure fire prospect after Dorsey and would team with Harris to form a great Inside LB Tandem. Of course that also means trading away Vilma...

gg

2. Phyr

Phyr Member

You can always get on the Vernon Gholston bandwagon.

3. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

If we end up trading Vilma, Laurinaitis or Gholston should be our pick at #6. The tandem of Harris and Laurinaitis is tantalizing, and by all accounts he is also a team leader and a stand up guy. He's essentially the same size as Harris (6-3, 244 as opposed to Harris' 6-2, 243), so we know that that won't be a limiting factor as it has been with Vilma up to this point (6-1, 230).

On the other hand, Gholston also fits a massive need in the form of a pass rusher from the outside. This guy is tailor-fit for the 3-4 OLB position, with a 6-4, 264 frame and a 4.6 40 time as well as having the results to prove his worth on the field with 20+ sacks the past 2 seasons. He also excels against the run. Some may consider him a slight reach here, but I disagree.

If Jake Long somehow gets by KC (wouldn't be surprised with Spermin' Herman running the show), I would very strongly consider him at RT if we had not already addressed it in FA as well. I'm assuming that C Long, McFadden, and Dorsey are also gone so I'm not even going to talk about them.

Honestly, the only guys aroud this point that I'd be disapointed to see in green would be a QB. I don't think Clemens was given enough of a shot with Clarke and Clement stinking up the joint and Brick still developing and having his inconsistencies.

I'm honestly not too familiar with who will be there in the second, so I have to brush up on that a little. I've heard a few people mention that there could be some good 3-4 OLBs available at #37, so if Gholston's not the chice above, you need to do that. However, if not the case, I would not be opposed to moving up into the back of the first round for a WR if one of Jackson (doubtful), Sweed, or Manningham is still there at that point.

4. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I'd love to see us trade up and get Dorsey, but I don't think that's possible. I really think our needs don't match the best available players at #6. That seems like LB territory, and I'd rather not spend such a high pick on a LB.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Vernon Gholston. It should be a no brainer if he's available at #6. If he's not then Chris Long

6. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

The JETS need to switch to a 4-3 defense and not trade Johnathan Vilma but possibly move him to WLB with Harris in the middle and then draft 6'4 265 Ohio State DE Vernon Gholston with the 6th pick. The only way I don't see the JETS getting Gholston is if they sign Terrell Suggs in free agency. And if they do sign Suggs, I say the JETS draft another player from Ohio State 6'1 200 CB Malcolm Jenkins to pair with Revis and Rhodes in the JETS secondary.

7. MCFADDENJETS07

I rather take Gholston then let the Patsies draft him that is scary! How about the lb from Penn State is he middle?

8. Salz

Salz New Member

Could keep Vilma and still draft Ghoulston. Harris, Ghoulston, Thomas, Vilma. Hobson is an FA and Barton is probably a goner. Ellis also plays LB'er in this scheme. We'd have good lb depth if we kept Vilma and drafted Ghoulston.

9. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

This is the first time in a long time i havent seen a good amount of top talent in a draft. I Think the only top guy is really McFadden and we dont need a Running back what so ever. Tough year for the draft but then again maybe not.

10. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

james laurinitus or however you spell it, is one pound heavier than harris but seems a lot slimmer, you need someone bulky for ILB like beau bell in the later rounds

we NEED vernon gholston

he is going to be amazing if used properly, we need to get this guy

its shawn merriman in green and white

11. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

stick with the 3-4, peoplewill disagree but when we get a couple more players, olb and nt, we will ave a lethal defense, all it takes is a nose tackle and our run d will be much much better, one efficent olb and we will have a great d....just be patient

12. BossHogg

BossHogg New Member

We need to get Chris Long! He's gonna be the real deal!

13. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

The win vs. KC kinda ended those hopes...F'ing Herm killing the Jets yet again

14. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

The first round pick better be a guy who weighs over 260, not under, unless it's James Laurinaitis.

1) HB Darren McFadden, Arkansas*
    2) DE Chris Long, Virginia
    3) DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU
    4) DT Sedrick Ellis, USC
    5) QB Matt Ryan, Boston College
    6) OT Jake Long, Michigan
    7) ILB/OLB James Laurinaitis, Ohio State*
    8) QB Brian Brohm, Louisville
    9) DE Vernon Gholston, Ohio State*
    10) QB Andre Woodson Jr., Kentucky
    *Junior that has not declared themselves eligible for selection

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Who? Vernon Gholston
    What? ROLB
    When? Draft
    Where? Ohion St
    Why? Pass rush

16. SameOldJets2008

SameOldJets2008 New Member

yea Vernon Gholston should definitely be the pick cuz the longs and dorsey will already be gone lets just pray he's still there i can already see it where the draft goes like this J. Long, G. Dorsey D. McFadden C. Long and Vernon Gholston.

Leaving us screwed and with noone to take but im getting off topic and if is there Gholston should be the pick

17. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

If you take a look i feel this is a great year to upgrade our front 7 which is exactly what we need to do. Chris long, Vernon Gholoston, Glen Dorsey, and James Lauriniatis, are all possibilities and even Sedrick ellis (although my last resort) thats 5 players who can all contribute signifigantly and with Mcfadden and Matt Long i think we are in prime territory to pick a player we need with excellent value. Hope fully a quarterback will shoot up the board and give us some more options.

18. BossHogg

BossHogg New Member

Let's get Crable from Michigan in rd2!

19. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

There are, in my opinion, three positions we should focus on: OLB, DE and RT. All three positions are needs and all three has plenty of options in the draft.

Quick mock:
    1st round: Gholston. His combination of strenght, weight and speed is fantastic. Not sure if he is a better choice than Groves though. Groves seems to be faster and with better technique. Chris long might also be an option.

2nd round: Dre Moore at DE

3rd round: Kirk Barton at RT

20. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

:beer:

Nice one!