Clemens is not the Answer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Dec 31, 2007.

1. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Which brings up the question: how many seasons are you willing to wait for Clemens to finally get "it".

2. jmac6311

jmac6311 New Member

Unfair

This is completly unfair. First of all, the Jets recievers have had some really bad drops in games Clemens has started. For example Cotchery today and in the Washington game. All agree that the Jets line sucks balls and the running game is bad. Lets give this kid a chance behind a decent line and with some healthy recievers before we evaluate him.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Chad at his worst is light years ahead of kellen. Chad was not benched b/c KC was better, he was benched b/c the season was lost and they were trying to see what they had in KC.

In Brees first year he threw 17 TDs and had a 77 rating, Clemens trew 5 TDs and had a 61 rating. I don't think you realze quite how awful Clemens was this year. It doesn't mean he will never be good but he was brutal. He had the worst rating for a Jets QB since BROWNING NAGLE! If you lok at Nagle's '92 and KC's '07 the #s are very similar.

4. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Down grading Clemens status as the #1 QB right now woud be a horrible mistake. I predicted that things would not be much different with Clemens in as QB as they were with Chad. Why? Most of the ingredients that a QB needs to be successful were not present on this team.

Clemens will do just fine once he is confident his supporting cast is really there for him and he is not pressured into relying only on his arm and the 2.5 seconds he has to throw the ball or be pancaked. If we add some very good replacement parts to our offensive line, and give Clemens a full camp to get better honed, we will see an improved QB. He will have a running game, and a line a line that is capable of giving him pass protection. Currently, he can rely on neither.

Truth be told, if we employ our fixes and kept Chad we would also do much better next year, but I think Clemens offers us more dimensions which Chad does not possess. Plus, given the QB market, Pennington's age, and what Pennington brings to the table relative to where our team is right now; now, is the ideal time to trade him.

5. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Leon's pass yesterday looked good. Let's give him a shot.

6. nyjunc

No question he's had alot of drops(as did Chad) BUT he's thrown alot more bad balls than he's had drops. He does deserve a chance to compete for the job and hopefully he'll be alot better but he was absolutely dreadful this year. He makes brooks' '05 season look excellent.

7. nyjunc

I wish there was a way to give Chad KC's arm strength to go w/ his smarts and accuracy. We'd have a HOfer.

8. ANJI

ANJI New Member

That is a very good point. Instead of designing plays to cover up Chads arm, the coaches need to design plays to get Wideouts open, since Kellen can make the throws that Chad can't.

9. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I don't see how you just hand the job to anyone coming off of a 4-12 season. Given what our O-line is, we'll need two QBs next year, if we get rid of Chad we have to replace him. Unless you can get someone better you don't get rid of Chad. The idea is to upgrade the team, you don't do that by downgrading at QB. You don't create another major nead when you already have to focus on the O-line and D-line. Let them battle for the job in camp, the better guy wins. We have plenty of cap room and if we fix what is really ailing the offense, we'll be fine at QB with who we have. Anyone who can't deal with competition for the job is putting individual preference ahead of the good of the team.

We just completed a rotten year that was used to look at guys, I'm not ready to sign up for another one just yet. I found it amusing that in the OT last night, after Clemens threw a horrible incompletion, the crowd (who was left) started chanting "We Want Chad!". Then we started running the ball and kicked the winning FG. :up:

10. KSJets

KSJets New Member

True, I've never seen Chad throw a bullet into the turf four yards away like I've seen Kellen do this year :jets:

11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I thought I was imagining that :lol:

I agree that we should do what we can to keep Chad.
    But will we have to restructure his contract?
    Hes worth something at the moment, how much will his value be next year? Better to cash in now?

12. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

So far what I have gotten from this thread is that Kellen is too dumb for the offense and that Chad apparently is too smart. And while the rookie gets the benefit of a piss-poor OL to help him, and WR with bucket sized holes in their hands, Chad does not get the same excuse. You guys are too much.

At any rate hopefully they can build up the line and give the kid a chance back there. Hopefully he shows something or we will be back out there searching for the next JWN.

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I agree that in the ideal situation it would be great to keep Chad. The only thing is that even if you told chad he would compete for the starting job next year; and, yes, there was a chance that he would be named back-up; I o not think Chad would be happy in that role at all. while he handled it with the class we all have come to respect this year, I don't see him willing to participate next year. given the situation, chad will be asked to be traded and will likely re-structure his contract before he leaves to give the jets a more fovorable cap number.

Chad sees himself as a starting QB in the NFL and I do ot think there is anyway of changing his mind. Chad will not be here next year.

14. Italian Seafood

This is based on the assumption that they're giving the job to Clemens, which I'm not sure is the case. Nobody is going to pay Chad any more than he stands to make here, and anywhere he goes he'll have to win a job. So if he has the chance to stay here--where he's already a captain and knows the offense--I don't see what he has to be unhappy about. If he's not the starter it will be his own fault. We have plenty of cap room and Clemens isn't getting a raise based on what he's done, so the QB position shouldnt be a problem on the cap. It's too important a position to be pinching pennies on the cap even if it were a problem, which it doesn't appear to be.

15. K. Wright52

K. Wright52 New Member

I agree Kellen Clemens is not the best QB we have its Chad Pennington. we have to surround him with a better line.

16. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Chad has no future here, I don't know to say. The mere of Chad being on the team probably means we still are desiging 10 yard and in plays that need more of chads ability to shift the offense into a dink that will work instead of running plays that attack the defense. Attacking the Defense and trying to confuse them is two different things.

If Kellens ain't the guy, lets find out, I don't want to find out he is not the guy to run chads offense.

17. Italian Seafood

That makes no sense. Both QBs have been here as long as the coaching staff and offense has been in place. If they have plays designed for Brad Smith, you think they don't already have plays in there for Clemens? If he can't execute them, it's not Chad's fault or the coaches fault.

18. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

1. I would respect the argument that Clemens has more potential than Pennington, but to say that a QB who was horrible this year is better than a QB with three playoff appearances and two playoff wins is just absurd. Pennington lost his job because the CS made the correct choice is seeing what they had in Clemens during a lost season. If the Jets were 4-4 after 8 games, we all know Pennington would have remained the starter.

2. Neither you nor I know what the Viking front office is thinking at this point.

3. I agree that Pennington is not likely to be a Jet next year. If so, I will move on as I have each year for the past 42 years I have been following this team. And I will buy my season tickets again next year, support the players that wear the green and white (no throwbacks next year please), and hope that Clemens or whoever lines up behind the center is great and that 2008 leads to a SB. That doesn't mean I can't have and state my opinions and right now, absent a great offseason and a metamorphosis from Clemens, count me as a darksider.

19. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Clemens has no clue out there. What did he do on the bench his first season? Day dream, he didn't pay attention. He looks as lost as you can possibly be.

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

you weren't imagining it. And I was one of them :wink: