How Would YOU Spend Our CAP Dollars?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TommyGreen, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Gross>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Starks

My wish list would be for Offense:

1.) Gross

2.) A LG, Andrews most likely, I have not really watched him play all that much this year but he has to be light years ahead of Clarke.

I would say no on Faneca and/or Starks as the pass blocking for the Steelers line has not been that great when I was watching them, most notably Starks has been mediocre.

Presumably those 2 signings and a Rhodes extension would take the Jets close to the Cap space numbers.

However if there is room I would then look to sign an OLB or D-lineman that can work within a 3-4.

Suggs would be great but it is wishful thinking he is going to get a sniff of the FA market. Dansby would be a great addition as well but similar to Suggs, probably no FA for him.

Haynesworth- I do not think he is a viable NT but would be great as a DE. However, I just do not see him as a Jet.

Anyway, I would love to see the Jets go out and get a RT ,LG first and foremost. Both would be great but if it is one then fine but that would preclude them spending a 2nd or 3rd on a O-linemen and restrict the FO's options in the draft.

The Jets biggest needs are RT,LG, a pass rushing OLB and a DE or 2. I would put QB on the list but really KC needs another full season to see if he is the future. As of right now there is not a person in the world qualified to say he is or is not.

This is certainly a much better offseason to fix some or many of the Jets perceived problems versus the crappy FA period of last year. The pickings were very very slim in 2007.

2. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

By trading Vilma, Chad possibly cutting/trading robertson, and cutting Ellis and Barton, that saves us lots of money with which to go absolutely pyscho in FA.

Here's my list of people to bring in and talk to if available

Namdi Asomungh CB
    Terrel Suggs OLB
    Stacy Andrews OL
    Ryan Lilja OG
    Gibril Wilson FS
    Barnard Berrian WR
    Bryant Johnson WR
    Albert Haynesworth DT/DE

That being said, Suggs isn't hitting the market we don't need both Berrian and Johnson so this would be my wish list in order.

Stacy Andrews OL
    Ryan Lilja OG
    Albert Haynesworth DT/DE
    Namdi Asomungh CB
    Gibril Wilson FS
    Barnard Berrian WR

Then with the draft, say we get pick #7 with a win this sunday against KC I take

Vernon Gholston
    Limas Sweed
    Roy Schuening
    Gosder Cherilus

With our first 4 picks (extra 2-3 second round picks earned due to trades of Chad,Vilma, Robertson)

Now this is a WISH list for both FA and the Draft. I seriously doubt we could afford all of the FA i mentioned, if we could, I would be amazed, and happy as possible if we signed all of those guys and drafted as we did with our first three picks.

3. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I would need to know precisely what our cap situation is going into 2008 before I would start working on my shopping list.

Currently, we are $27.72 million under the cap with 45 players signed.

That is good, but there are actually 9 other teams in a better situation - some are surprising:

1. Tennessee 39 $40.85 million - I think we can safely say Haynesworth is not available
    2. San Diego 44 $33.03 million
    3. Jacksonville 43 $32.69 million
    4. Buffalo 49 $32.05 million
    5. New Orleans 39 $31.69 million
    6. Cincinnati 48 $31.45 million
    7. San Francisco 48 $30.91 million
    8. Cleveland 42 $30.31 million
    9. Arizona 34 $30.27 million
    10.N.Y. Jets 45 $27.72 million

Below us:

11.Oakland 40 $25.98 million
    12.Tampa Bay 48 $25.90 million
    13.Miami 48 $25.56 million
    14.N.Y. Giants 49 $24.47 million
    15.Detroit 42 $23.50 million
    16.Houston 43 $22.91 million
    17.Dallas 40 $20.61 million
    18.Kansas City 44 $20.27 million
    19.Chicago 52 $19.80 million
    20.Pittsburgh 43 $18.61 million - I think Faneca is going to go to FA.
    21.Green Bay 48 $18.37 million
    22.Philadelphia 49 $17.17 million
    23.Denver 49 $16.77 million
    24.Minnesota 49 $14.88 million - this makes them better candidates for a Chad signing
    25.New England 41 $10.93 million
    26.St. Louis 45 $9.61 million
    27.Seattle 44 $9.55 million
    28.Indianapolis 48 $8.49 million - there will be offensive line FA talent avail.
    29.Carolina 35 $6.05 million
    30.Atlanta 52 $5.79 million* Depends on retrieval of Vick's pro-rated signing bonus
    31.Baltimore 42 $5.00 million - Suggs will be avail. I do not think they will be able to sign Chad. They will draft a QB.
    32.Washington 45 -$20.72 million - The Washington Redskins are $20 million over the projected '08 cap, a number that will be reduced once the 'Skins convert some bonuses assigned to the '08 cap (including a hefty one paid to tight end Chris Cooley) to signing bonuses, which can be pro-rated over the life of the contract.

#23 GreenHornet, Dec 28, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Well Hornet we can assume with near certainty Penny's number will be off the books. As well as Macareins, I would also expect either Vilma or D-robs to be gone as well. Along with one of the corners (Barret, Miller, Dyson) so that 27 million is more likely 35-40 million in which to spend on Rooks and FA's

5. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

OT Stacey Andrews
    OG Montrae Holland
    NT Ethan Kelly
    WR Bryant Johnson

6. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I was talking about Randy Starks DT from Tenn. He played NT in a 3-4 defense in college. He is young and talented.

He had a domestic assault charge in late 2006 but has been in no trouble since. Definitely worth bringing in to hopefully be our answer at the nose.

7. sabu75

sabu75 New Member

jacob bell g tennessee

8. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

O Line , D Line another reciever and a pass rushing OLB , couldnt hurt getting another safety too.