How Would U Design Jets' Defense ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Run_N_gun10, Dec 25, 2007.

1. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

DE - Robertson, Ellis - Coleman
    NT - Okam (2nd round) - Pouha, Mosley
    OLB - Gholston (1st round), Thomas - Bowens, Hobson
    ILB - Harris, Vilma - Barton, Kassell
    CB - Revis, Dyson - Miller, Poteat, Barrett
    SS - Rhodes - Coleman
    FS - Smith - Elam

2. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

This board seems to pipe up when Ryan is mentioned as a coordinator; since this chatter started, I’ve caught the last three Chokeland games and am going to have to say that their defense looks hideous.

Chokeland can keep him as far as I’m concerned.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Tell me that when Parcells hires him and he's stomping our putrid offense twice a year.

4. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

^ Maybe…but I don’t see him getting much better with Mandoofis and a three year old copy of Beli’s playbook.

Don’t forget – Manputz manned the worst defense of the Belli era for his one year of glory; I don’t understand why anyone thinks he can build a defense here.

5. JetsLookingforDWare

Mangini also lost Seymour, Colvin, Bruschi, and had a f*cked up secondary that one year as a coordinator.

Circumstances don't really mean much to NFL fans do they? Results, results, results..."why" is a question nobody bothers to ask.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Our defense isn't that far off in my opinion. We need a pass rusher and another corner for sure

7. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Actually there are quite a few big bodies available this off-season via draft & F.A. for the NT position. I was shocked when I looked. www.draftdaddy.com has alot ot the available players.

8. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

^^^ one of the things that has been so outstanding about Belli’s teams has been their ability to fill holes created by injury over the years and move on.

No – circumstances don’t mean anything to me; stories don’t mean anything to me, results do.

A vendor called me today with a story about why something didn’t happen so after about 35 seconds of his rambling I said “STOP – your telling me a story and I don’t have the time or any interest in your story; stop wasting both of our time, hang up the phone and don’t bother me again until you call me with the answer I’m looking for.”

A dude was next to me and said that I was a total prick – but completely right. How can that be?

NFL is results driven – not story driven.

9. Run_N_gun10

though Buddy..Ur completely right, though u coulda been kooler about it & less rude. I'm about the same thing...results.

Saying that....U didn't really respond to the threads theme :grin:

So out of courtesy....U could actually respond to what the thread akks & still tell ur story. :grin:

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You stole my thunder a bit but I have the complete depth chart:

RDE: Kenyon Coleman/Kentwan Balmer (2nd Round pick)
    NT: Sione Pouha/Randy Starks (FA Titans)
    LDE: Shaun Elllis/William Joseph (FA Giants)
    ROLB: Vernon Gholston (1st Round pick)/David Bowens
    RILB: David Harris/Reggie Torbor (FA Giants)
    LILB: Eric Barton/Beau Bell (3rd Round Pick)
    LOLB: Bryan Thomas/Kenny Iwebema (5th Round Pick)
    LCB: Darrell Revis/Justin Miller
    RCB: Randal Gay (FA Patriots)/Leodis Mckelvin (2nd Round Pick from Vilma Trade)
    SS: Kerry Rhodes/Donnie Nickey (FA Titans)
    FS: Abram Elam/Quintin Demps/Eric Smith (4th Round Pick)

11. Run_N_gun10

Buddy....U picked some real jewels there at OLB. Both can get after Torbor has always been a favorite & Iwebema is a STAR waiting yo happen. This guy is all-over the field. A true diamond in the rough. I like Torbor at OLB & a better NT would be my preference. I also like Gay as the nickel CB.

12. sabu75

sabu75 New Member

use the whole draft on defense?there is a need for a speed linebacker and defensive line depth,but the o-line is horrible and the most effective way to fix it is the draft.

13. Quack

Quack New Member

And on top of that there's the whole fact that Thomas played better at weak side linebacker and has faltered at strong side yet he keeps him there, forgets that Poteat has been exceptional for a journeyman, that Hobson is better against the run than Barton and is younger, that Dewayne Robertson is on the team and not just the whole draft being used on defense but also signing five, count em', FIVE free agents, just to the defense. What the fark?

I might as well give this a shot:

Left Defensive End: Dewayne Robertson | Shaun Ellis
    Nose Tackle: Sione Pouha | Ethan Kelley (Free Agency)
    Right Defensive End: Red Bryant (Draft) | Kenyon Coleman | C.J. Mosley
    Left Outside Linebacker : Vernon Gholston (Draft) | David Bowens
    Left Inside Linebacker: Victor Hobson | Brad Kassell
    Right Inside Linebacker: David Harris | Eric Barton
    Right Outside Linebacker: Bryan Thomas | Matt Chatham
    Left Cornerback: Hank Poteat | Justin Miller
    Right Cornerback: Darelle Revis | Andre Dyson | Drew Coleman
    Free Safety: Abram Elam | Erik Coleman
    Strong Safety: Kerry Rhodes | Eric Smith

Moreso shifting than signings. Red Bryant wouldn't really be starting, as 3-4 DE tends to be a huge rotation thing and we would be able to move Dewayne Robertson all over the line with this setup. If you couldn't tell, I have high hopes for Sione Pouha.

Now to rationalize this. Let's start with the front seven, specifically. As mentioned, I expect Pouha to continue to develop well. With Kelley behind him, he would have someone to share snaps with at NT to ease him into the starting role more easily. For the Left (Strong) side, we have Dewayne Robertson, with Victor Hobson and Vernon Gholston over him. Having Robertson not being double-teamed, coupled with a strong, solid tackler in Victor Hobson leaves nothing to be desired on the interior of this side. Vernon Gholston is an extremely gifted athlete and is very fast and extremely strong for his size. With Robertson playing End underneath him, he will have excellent opportunities to be a big play maker in the pass rush.

Moving over to the weak side we have the other rookie I want (Red Bryant) with David Harris and Bryan Thomas over him. Bryan Thomas excelled last year when he was on the weak side, and his transition to strong side rusher has not gone well. Moving him back to where he found his success should give him a better chance to make plays. As we all know, David Harris has been great both against the run and when he blitzes against the pass, which will help Red Bryant get situated. Sharing snaps with Kenyon Coleman and learning the position from Shaun Ellis wouldn't hurt at all, either.

Moving to the secondary, it is the same one we all know and love. With minimal pressure produced by our front this year, it has done a great job of defending the pass, even with Justin Miller out and Andre Dyson recovering from an injury. Our corners are pretty much set as Hank Poteat has proven himself to be a solid (if entirely unspectacular) corner, so long as he is on the #2 man. With an overpowering strong side of the box (Robertson being a beast when he is blocked by one man both in the run and the passing game as well as Hobson's bull rushing ability and strength at the point of attack as well as the addition of Vernon Gholston), Kerry Rhodes will be freed up to be a rover and make plays, which is what he does best. Abram Elam has proven himself to be great in run support (even if overly aggressive, though despite this aggression he does not over pursue the ball carrier, which is amazing) even if he isn't exactly what you look for in pass coverage (though he has been improving lately). Due to his run support (as well as Darelle Revis' great run supporting ability which he has shown this season), we can also expect our front seven to be more aggressive, which will lead to more big play opportunities.

So my take? It ain't broke, it just needs a tune-up.

#33 Quack, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  14. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

and with this i see "mini me humping the weapon" in the austin powers movie.

15. Run_N_gun10

Very nicely done. Your defense looks very solid to me & I like it. I would like a upgrade at the CB position & more beef at NT. Now this may sound crazy but, it would be nice if Jets' could get Gholston, Okam & Bryant. :up: