This season is on Mangini's head

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mangini has had to inactivate several players for games to try to maintain discipline in the clubhouse. Chris Baker is the obvious example, however there have been others.

2. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Hmm...interesting idea. Instead of dogfighting, throw some cobras in the pit and see who comes out on top :)

How in the hell did you come up with that comparison? Makes sense what you're saying, but that's way out there...lol. :)

3. Br4d

There's a symmetry to natural events that is beautiful to watch because it's completely natural and generally immutable. Mongoose and Cobra is one of the great natural interrelationships that have evolved over time. Nothing else touches a King Cobra, except occasionally another King Cobra.

Tigers don't mess with them, because although they'd come out on top in terms of killing the cobra they'd also die to its poisons. Human beings rarely mess with a King Cobra directly, unless they're trying to trap it for some reason.

But the mongoose has evolved to kill King Cobras and eat their eggs. So this nearly omnipotent bringer of and symbol of death is at the mercy of a small animal that virtually any other predator would treat as a bite-size snack.

For whatever reason 3-13 is a killer of coaches and 4-12 is not. Why? Who knows, but if you look at the numbers it is what it is.

4. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Hey I was HELLBENT for OL in the offseason.... I'm all about OL... I wanted to draft 2 OL early myself...I think Kendall screwed them over... I also think the OL market was a little crazy... I wasn't happy with the draft's lack of OL help but, in retrospect I can't complain one bit with Revis and Harris....

After that - You have to look at the options they had.... they can't fill all the holes at once..

To me THIS offseason is the key. As long as the staff is drafting well, players aren't quitting and they are organized and have a plan unlike Herm and Bradway who seemed to throw shit against the wall and switch systems on the fly.....

I see A LOT of opportunity to fill the holes this offseason and if next season is a bust I'll start turnig as well but, I tend to give new staffs a solid 2 year plus before I turn Darkside - UNLESS, the team gives up and things are really out of control... I just don't see that.l

#144 Jet Blue, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  5. Br4d

Good guards are expensive now. That's just what it is. I'm not a fan of getting Faneca though. I'd much rather have jumped on Steinbach or Hutchinson when they were available.

Guards have been hella expensive since Randy Thomas. Not to recognize that and deal with it is one of our biggest failures as an organization over the last half decade.

6. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

no doubt in my mind our win loss record will improve next season compared to this one. that is in a way, the shitty part. mangini will probably get next year and another, to prove his worth(which he will not), thereby wasting 2 years of rebuilding, on top of the wrong direction time already spent on his ass! i have watched football from the seventies until now ,and mangini doesnt exhibit any quality components of a decent coach. he is an inexperienced head coach, that should have remained a ball boy/position coach! bad as i hate to say it...we would have been better off hiring some head coach out of the college ranks, and this never seems to work out, even for the good college coaches. jimmy johnson is the first to come to mind, that has made the transition, sucessfully! he also had an owner that had fat pockets and a craving to win it all continuously.our fan base should know by now you get to watch what the owner pays for...bottom line!

7. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Scheme is up to him. Personnel, talk to the GM.

8. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

This is actually a better defense of Mangini than saying Belishit sucked in Cleveland.

9. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

I know someone mentioned all the close losses being a big negative against the coaching staff, but the other way to look at it is it shows that Mangini has not lost the team, the team is still fighting every week. Most terrible football teams pack it in at some point, this team has not done that.

I think Mangini has done a bad job this season in a number of ways, but I also thought he did an incredible job last season. Anyone who watched all the games last year could see how well this team was coached. He's still a young coach, he wasn't going to be great all the time, there were going to be downs too. I think he showed last year that he is a smart, capable NFL coach, and I think he showed he is smart enough that he will learn from this season and not repeat a lot of these mistakes.

And no, I don't think there is any real difference in 4-12 vs. 3-13, and I think we will beat the Chiefs and end up 4-12 anyway.

10. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

We won some games we shouldn't have last season and lost a few we shouldn't have this season. Pretty much all of that was on Penny. Pass protecting and run blocking were poor both year, and the defense sucked at the beginning and got better late in the year. The only real difference is that Penny throwing pick 6's this year as apposed to kicking field goals last year.

If we went 7-9 both seasons would we be having the same discussion? Is McCareins dropping balls in the endzone somehow Mangini's fault?

Truth be told, this team old, injured, and shallow when Herm left. Most of us here knew rebuilding was coming, and would take 3-5 years. Why jump the ship now? Because 3 lucky plays got us to 10-6 last year, and 3 unlucky plays have us staring at 4-12 this year?

11. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

after waiting such a long time for a trophy, and seeing the pats win 3 in only 5 years, and seeing pitt win it coming from the #6 playoff seeding, i can understand why some are inpatient.
    but, we were never going to win it with noodle at qb. i got flamed for saying it, but i was proven to be right.

12. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Until this year "noodle" was a winner. You were rightly flamed. Due primarily to injuries, the guy is now done. The chances of getting injured far outweigh the chances of winning the superbowl.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Maybe it's because I'm very tired right now, but I don't know what you are trying to say with that.

14. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

disagree. he NEVER had an arm good enough to make the deep ball and the out patterns. dig out your old dvd's of the 2oo2 playoff game in oakland or any game against the pats after the first time he played against them.

how many of our receivers got blasted waiting forever to catch one of his rainbow throws with no zip on them?

we would have beaten the steelers in the playoffs had he put even one td up on the board. you never saw teams stack the box against the run under namath, todd, o'brien, or vinny.:wink:

#154 mr nyjet, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

At first, it doesn't seem like there is a huge difference between 3-13 and 4-12, but coaches tend to get fired after 3-13 seasons. History shows they are more likely to keep their jobs after a 4-12 season.

1 win can make a big difference. Ask the Packers if they wish they won that game in Dallas earlier this month.
    Ask the Dolphins how it'd feel if they were 0-15 right now.
    I'm sure the Vikings, Redskins, Saints, Titans, and Browns all wish they had one more win right now.

16. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

You refuted people saying that Belishit sucked by saying that he went 20-28 in his first 3 seasons, but went 11-5 and upset the Pats in the Playoffs in his 4th. Mangini needs 6 wins in 2008 to hit that 3 season mark. Your defense of Belishit in Cleveland actually speaks vloumes to being patient with Mangini.

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Okay, I see what you are saying.
    Here's what I'm saying. The Browns never had an abysmal, horrendous, ridiculous, awful, disgusting season under Belichick.
    The Jets have had an abysmal, horrendous, ridiculous, awful, disgusting season under Mangini.

To me there is a big difference between 3-12 and 6-10, 7-9, and 7-9.

It's the same difference between the 12-3 Packers and the 8-7 Redskins, 8-7 Vikings, and 7-8 Saints.

18. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

We would have been in the 2004 AFCC if Brien didn't miss 2 field goals, (which would have been played in a blizzard in Foxboro, favoring our running and short passing game), and lets not forget that was a very good Steelers D. Remember the 65 yard toss to Santana the week before that got us to that game? Of course not...

He was an excellent field general that didn't make many mistakes. I like the deep game too, but I like wins more. And not for nothing, but he wasn't getting receivers blasted waiting for throws until last season.

19. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

Come on man, of course in some situations 1 win makes a big difference. No one would argue that, but 3-13 vs. 4-12 isn't one of them.

So you think this week's game against the Chiefs is an important game?

20. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I just don't buy the difference between 4-12, and the 6-10, 7-9, and 7-9 seasons Belishit put up his first 3 seasons in Cleveland. I can think of 5-6 games this season lost on a single play, including, but not limited to 2 endzone drops by McCareins, and 3 pick 6's by Chad. I can also think of 7-8 blown interceptions Chad handed to guys last season that could of easily cost us 4-5 games.

This team as it was left to Mangini was a 5-7 win team. We overperformed last season and our QB regressed majorly over the offseason. You cannot fix everything in 1 year. You do understand there was 0 talent left on the OL, and maybe 3 quality starters in the front 7 on D? When you need to replace or upgrade 9 of your 12 trench players, it's simply not going to happen in 2 offseasons.