The real question - WTF was with Mangini

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Dec 16, 2007.

1. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

What? I have no clue what you're trying to say...

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You get all sorts of stuff. Some are very good to great right away and then continue to be good. Some blow right off the bat and don't see a third year. Hell, there's been some who didn't see a second year (Patriots fans know about one).
    The numbers to look at are 3-13 and 4-12. Head coaches whose teams play sub-.200 football (in a non-debut season from the coach) do not have future success with the same team. It's a fact that can be looked up.

3. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

D rob and Vilma he inherited...

The team continues to play hard at 3 wins... that says allot... how many bad teams just quit?

It's his second season.... he's far from Rich Kotite

4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I like Mangini so far. This season sucks pretty bad, but these things can happen, especially with a young inexperienced CS. If someone should go I would put all my votes on Sutton. I would love to see someone with better defensive credentials come here and help that group. I don't care how good they have been since the bye. They were no where to be found before the bye and that had to cost us 2-3 games early in the season.

Aside from Cowher or Parcells I don't know of any coaches out there that would really be a shoo-in to make us a better team. I think we just need to give this group another year and see what happens and go from there. I might think differently if they were bringing in bad players, but so long as they draft well giving them another year isn't the end of the world.

5. JetsLookingforDWare

Exactly.

I keep faith in Mangini for these reasons:

Harris
    Revis
    D'Brick
    Mangold
    DRob
    Ellis
    Hobson
    Thomas
    Rhodes
    Cotchery
    E. Smith
    Elam
    B. Smith
    Leon

Fixed the cap situation.

Coached a crap team to 10 wins last year.

Yea...he's done absolutely nothing for this franchise...I mean a bunch of the crap Herm left him actually played well for him...that counts for nothing either.

6. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

Interesting. I didn't know that.

In his defense, the players seem to still be playing hard, and the defense seems to be clicking. I thought the defense played their hearts out today...good enough to win. Maybe the coaches and players are getting it.

The offense problems, I feel, are talent issues, i.e. not enough of it anywhere, not coaching problems.

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Okay, but how far is he from Bruce Coslet? those Brad Smith series were a joke with Pennington on the team. Why not just line up with ten players for a while?

8. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

A joke maybe... but we did have some success with them until he got hurt... would it have been successful all game? Probably not, but other than the 4th down pass it worked pretty well...

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I made a series of posts about it maybe 6 weeks or so ago.

Maybe Mangini will be the one coach who is able to rebound from a .188 disaster and coach the same franchise to a title, but I doubt it.

10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I don't know, man, going to your fourth string QB who has never completed a pass when the game is still in doubt just reeks of desperation. I know Chad isn't Joe Montana, but I mean, this isn't his first rodeo.

11. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

WTF?...............Who do you guys wanna hire? Petrino? Miles? Spurrier? We have the best coach available he IS THE BEST MAN for the job...........so shut the hell up!

12. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone takes any blame......Or at least anyone major.

Woody got super cheap as usual in FA and thats what cost him. Maybe Woody will know that you cant keep relying on drafting and signing stopgaps to build a championship caliber team.

13. JetsLookingforDWare

Who should we have signed last year? The 29 year old Thomas? Why would he come here?

Steinbach? Dockery? While Kendall was still on the roster?

I expect us to do something in this years FA. Too many young guys with upside and talent that actually fit our schemes to pass up.

14. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

If the BEST MAN for the job is good for 3-11, then sheesh, this team would be 0-14 with just about any other coach.

The Jets wouldn't go the college route.

15. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Well maybe I mean in the past years.

I hope we get active. I dont say to overpay or anything but we have so much cap and money we can be active certainly.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

By now he has to be looking at what it takes to build a .500 team.

2003: 6-10
    2004: 10-6
    2005: 4-12
    2006: 10-6
    2007: 3-11

17. 1969jets

1969jets Banned

You're a complete and total idiot!

18. JetsLookingforDWare

True...we should ignore that any kind of talent on this team has performed better or been drafted under Mangini...or that we just came off a 10 win season when we were supposed to be one of the worst teams in the league...or that the overall talent on this team is mediocre as hell due to the previous regimes idiocy...or that he and our young GM fixed our terrible cap situation...or that he walked onto a team with no O-line, a D-line that had 3 players on it (one of which was traded because he kept getting hurt...it netted us a future all-pro at C)...

He's 3-11 NOW when he SHOULD be contending for a Super Bowl...I get that...it's perfectly logical you know...:rolleyes:

I hate being a NY team fan...a guy has 15 minutes to prove himself or off with his f*ckin head.

#38 JetsLookingforDWare, Dec 16, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  19. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

What drivel. The guy kept us in the game against the Patriots, who were supposed to whip our ass by 24 1/2, remember? We scared the living shit out of BB at the tail end of the 4th Q. Now Mangini needs to be replaced?

Get real.

20. JetGreen

JetGreen New Member

The Jets have been building through the draft pretty well. The FA signings have not been up to par. Since we do have money, it is time to pursue the top tier of free agents. I expect the FO will examine the team's situation and the potential targets carefully in the spring. We need to be active.

We do need to be smart, though. The 49ers made a splash but that's really not helped them at all. It's an important off-season for us. It can turn the franchise right back around or dig us into an even bigger hole.