Bobby Petrino resigns; will coach Arkansas

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by twinjetfan, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Maybe by you. He was often dangerous to his own team.

2. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Terrific, because I'm pretty sure he's not going to Michigan. Wanna bet?

3. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Wonder if there was a QB war going on in the FO (he wanted Brohm, and the GM wanted someone else)?

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

That's a big reach considering the draft order has not been determined as of yet and the Combine and private workouts and pro days are still a couple months away.

Simply put, the guy was not cut out for the pro game. Prominent players on the team were bitching only a couple weeks into the season. The guy does not have an outgoing personality. Players complained that he was all work and no fun. Cue up that line from "The Shining".

He is a Larry Brown type in that he is frequently on the move.
    Carroll College graduate assistant, 1983
    coached at:
    Weber State, 1984
    Carroll College, 1985-86
    Weber State, 1987-88
    Idaho, 1989-91
    Arizona State, 1992-93
    Nevada, 1994
    Utah State, 1995-97
    Louisville, 1998
    Jacksonville Jaguars, 1999-2001
    Auburn, 2002
    Louisville, 2003-06
    Atlanta Falcons, 2007

5. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

pasquarelli wrote an article about petrino, saying, in short, that Petrino is the kind of guy for whom the grass is always greener on the other side.

6. GAJETMAN

GAJETMAN Member

Yea and they both left for Arkansas

7. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Petrino Bolts Falcons for Arkansas
    By PAUL NEWBERRY,AP
    Posted: 2007-12-12 00:06:38
    Filed Under: NFL

http://sports.aol.com/nfl/story/_a/petrino-bolts-falcons-for-arkansas/20071211185909990001

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (Dec. 11) - Bobby Petrino was hired Tuesday as the football coach at Arkansas, capping a whirlwind day in which he stunningly resigned from the Atlanta Falcons after just 13 games.

Petrino succeeds Houston Nutt, who stepped down at Arkansas two weeks ago and became the head coach at Mississippi. Petrino was introduced as the Razorbacks coach by incoming athletic director Jeff Long at a late-night news conference.

"It is a tremendous honor for me to be named the 30th head coach at Arkansas, particularly on a night when we honored coach (Frank) Broyles for his 50 years service," Petrino said, referring to former head coach and outgoing athletic director Frank Broyles. "He's such a legend and I can't wait to develop a relationship with him."

In January, Petrino left as head coach at Louisville to take over in Atlanta, agreeing to a five-year, $24 million contract handed out by a team that felt he could help Michael Vick reach his full potential.

However, the star quarterback came under investigation for a grisly dogfighting operation that led him to plead guilty to federal charges. On Monday Vick was sentenced Monday to 23 months in prison without ever taking a snap for Petrino.

On Monday night, the Falcons lost to New Orleans 34-14, and hours later Petrino left the team with a 3-10 record to return to the college ranks.

"Today was a day of decision," Petrino said. "It was difficult on one side very easy on the other. It was difficult to leave Atlanta, the staff, players, fans. The timing of it probably is the thing that made it most difficult. Coming to Arkansas was the easy part."

Arkansas had been looking for a coach for two weeks to replace Nutt, who resigned after a tumultuous season of his own. The Razorbacks came close to hiring Wake Forest's Jim Grobe last week, but Grobe remained with the Demon Deacons and Arkansas fans had to wonder whether the school could attract a big-name coach.

In Petrino, the Razorbacks found one. Petrino went 41-9 in four years at Louisville, coaching some of the highest-scoring teams in the country before leaving in January to join the Falcons.

Petrino received a standing ovation from the Arkansas supporters who came to his introductory news conference.

"Coach, this is just the tip of the iceberg," chancellor John White announced.

Petrino's stint was one of the shortest for a non-interim coach since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger. Pete McCulley was fired after starting out 1-8 with San Francisco in 1978, and Sid Gillman lasted only 10 games in his second stint as San Diego coach, going 4-6 in 1971 before quitting.

In an interesting twist, Lou Holtz coached the New York Jets for 13 games in 1976. He went 3-10, then left the team with one game remaining to become the coach at Arkansas.

Atlanta owner Arthur Blank and general manager Rich McKay were scheduled to hold a news conference Wednesday. There was no immediate word on who would take over for the team's final three games.

After losing Vick, Bobby Petrino tried three quarterbacks without success. The Falcons have lost four straight, all by double-digit margins, and are assured of the 32nd season of .500 or worse in their 42-year history.

"Anytime you're without one of the best athletes in the National Football League, it's going to be tough," cornerback DeAngelo Hall said earlier in the season. "Take Peyton Manning from the Colts, and they'll go through a little slump."

8. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Well when the going gets tough, the tough get the hell out of there.
    At least that's how I remember the old saying.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Falcons owner Arthur Blank is ripping Petrino right now on ESPN.

Supposedly, Petrino had a bunch of banners hanging in the team's clubhouse and locker room saying things like "Finish the Job" and "Play to the End".

Petrino obviously doesn't practice what he preaches.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

First year coaches who put together the kind of record that Petrino did generally go two and out. He's just taking the best offer he can find before his marketability takes a hit next season.

The Vick thing was unfortunate but realistically it takes a bad coach to go 3-10 in the NFL with anything other than an expansion team.

11. Grogan's neck roll

Grogan's neck roll New Member

I'm not a Falcons fan, but I have an issue with Petrino. How about sticking with a job, working through the tough times, maybe you'll ingratiate yourself with the franchise as things turn around. I mean, the situation has probably bottomed out, he could at least TRY to dig out.

I guess the fact that he signed a 10 year extension with Louisville, then left to sign a 5 year agreement with Atlanta, and now he's leaving there bothers me. Doesn't sound like a guy I'd want to hire if I was looking for a coach.

12. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

no one would want to hire someone like that...except for Arkansas I guess. He has zero loyalty and is always looking for someone else to make a big offer. Eventually that'll end.

13. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

14. rillo

rillo New Member

Petrino is a classless jerk off...and I hope more NFL teams learn a lesson with these college coaches.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Some college coaches work out, but most don't.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Most likely by every defensive coordinator in the NFL.

The guy ran a 4.2 40 yard dash and he can throw the ball across his body about 100 miles per hour. You can't make a gameplan with a guy with so much talent to improvise.

His second year in the league, before he got his big extension, he was dominant...he was an MVP candidate, made the Pro-bowl...for reasons other than being Michael Vick, and he led his team to the NFC Divisional playoffs where they lost a pretty close game to the Eagles.

Vicks problems started after he got that HUGE deal. Jim Mora Jr. was also a moron for trying to put a player like Vick in a West Coast offense.

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I came close.

Thomas has been named the interim head coach. I'm glad he finally got a head coaching job even though it will probably only be three games.

18. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

No and no.

He ran a 4.2 at virginia tech, which was a long time ago, and virginia tech is well known for screwing with the 40 yard dash times. A 4.2 there is more like a 4.4 in actuality. And even if he could throw the ball across the body at 100 mph (he couldn't), that's not always a plus. Vick had no idea of the concept that some throws require touch.

19. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

The perfect end to a perfect season.

Petrino walks out on Louiville
    Petrino Walks out on Atlanta
    My Prediction . . .
    Petrino Walks out on Arkansas.

Go DAWGS!

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Both of those things were proven before the combine...he did some freaky stuff at his personal workout.

Just like Kyle Boller and Jamarcus Russell throwing the ball 60 yards on one knee through the uprights.

Even if Vick does run a 4.4 and VT "screwed" with his 40 time, that is still incredibly fast for a QB. He's faster than any lineman or linebacker in the league...by far.

Brett Favre can supposedly throw 120 mph. Vick puts some serious heat behind his throws. I know he didn't understand the concept of putting touch on his passes, but he was getting there before Mora came in and switched the offense to a West Coast system.

I don't see why so many people are against Michael Vick as a PLAYER. He is the most athletic player to ever play the quarterback position in the NFL. In 2002, just his second season in the league, Vick put Atlanta on his back and carried them to the playoffs.

I know he's a terrible person, and he'll never be the same player again.