Kellen Clemens is NEXT

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Oh yeah, I agree. The team really deserved a more ballsy QB at the time... could have made all the difference in the world. Good arm, smart guy, but didn't bring any balls to the table.

Ray Lucas was a gutsy QB in his brief tenure. I always had the feeling we didn't see enough of him to really evaluate him though. Neil O'Donnell had some balls and would hold it... sometimes too long though. All the rest... Browning Nagle, Bubby Bruster, etc., didn't display what I'm seeing in Clemens as far as "pocket courage," if you want to call it that.

2. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you. I'm generally pleased with how he has played so far but these things take time. I'd like to see how he does overall through his first 16 games at least before making any declarations.

3. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

its funny cause giants fans are staying its still to early to tell about eli...

4. OhioJetsFan

OhioJetsFan Member

There isn't this much man-love shown in a gay pride parade.

:rolleyes:

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Not Hardly. (oh, and BTW...how many of those OLinemen went to the PB during OB's tenure ????)

6. Section 227. Row 5

Yeah, and this is the definition Giants fans find in the dictionary when they look up the word "denial."

Mad Dog describes Clemens' play against Dallas as "horrible." I wonder what he thinks of Eli's play lately?

#46 Section 227. Row 5, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  7. Section 227. Row 5

If you think this one's bad you should check out the McFadden thread.

8. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Nope. I'm still very undecided on him as well. I'm certainly not ready to say he's the future of the franchise, anyway. I think he's propbably done enough to validate a full year of starting next year, though. I want to see what a full off-season as the starter does for him.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Drinking Southern Comfort at 8:00 in the morning?
    Just not good.
    Not good at all.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This is about where I'm at. He's shown some positives and negatives. The biggest positive is his ability to come back in the fourth quarter when the pressure is on. The biggest negative so far is his lack of accuracy at times. I'm not feeling any sort of overwhelming confidence or lack there of. Can I join you on the fence?

11. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

He isnt very tall but a good height at 6'2 and has a big strong frame

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Could not agree more. That play when he was running for the goal line & saw the defenders coming & flopped down on like the 2yd line still sticks with me as you see.

13. championjets69

Yes as I said get him a OL ala Brady & lets see what the 25 yr old can do

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yep, we'll never know what he is capable of until we put a decent line in front of him.

15. championjets69

Nope just said he flicks the ball the same way JWN did. Way to soon to make that type comparison. Way, way to soon but he does have that so called "quick" release ala JWN

16. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

well...I'm glad he made the list. I see things I like - and some I don't - but to be fair he's really a rookie out there. He does have toughness in the pocket, and doesn't lock in on receivers - both good things. He's also learning the ability to throw it away rather than take the sack - and I see that improvement each week.

He has the arm strength to gun it, and good touch too...

The jury is definitely still out, but so far he has shown ability and that EXTRA ability - and I'm impressed. He's certainly shown me as much or more than Jay Cutler - the guy I and so many others wanted the Jets to draft #1 - and he's shown more ability to be a top flight NFL Quarterback then Matt Leinart...IMO

17. KSJets

KSJets New Member

I remember that play and I remember my reaction afterward. Let's just say I can't repeat them here. All the talent in the world, but absolutely, positively no heart at all.

18. Chances

Chances New Member

There is no doubt that size would not inhibit Kellen Clemens from excelling at the NFL level. While the prototypical NFL QB (ala Manning, Palmer, Big Ben) is said to be in the 6'5 range. The reality is that there are plenty of starting QB's who are in the 6'2, 6'3 range. Current NFL starters who fall in this category include guys like: Brett Favre, Jay Cutler, Donovan Mcnabb and Matt Hasselbeck--who is listed 6'4, but when standing beside Favre the two are identical size.

Hall of Famers like Jim Kelly, Troy Aikman and Steve Young were also in that 6'2, 6'3 range. So I think that KC’s size will have absolutely nothing to do with his success, or lack thereof in the NFL.

19. FatStupidLoser

Nor does he have a particularly strong arm.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

His arm is fine. It's not a cannon but its plenty strong enough to make the throws he needs to make.

It'll be interesting to see if the Jets make any adjustments to his throwing motion to stop him from topping the ball as much as he currently does. He puts a lot of balls at waist level or slightly below that would be much more catchable if they were elevated 6 inches to a foot. This is not excusing the Jets receivers for their dropsies, but a QB should give his receivers the best possible chance to catch a ball and right now Clemens does not in most cases.