Kellen Clemens is NEXT

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Dec 5, 2007.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

That is because we have had & still have a whole ton of garbage players that most of you completely over evulate & then go into fits when I say they are garbage. So far my assessment seems to be hitting the bullseye while all of yours are just going right out the window into the space. Our record this year really/truly proves the point IMHO of this post

2. Gator

Gator Active Member

Yeah, but you said the same thing last year and the record was 10-6. Complete garbage can't go 10-6......but you will probably have some spin on this that involves a whole bunch of abreviations. Like this:

Yes we wnt 10-6 lk u said but the NEPS went to IHOP and hd Pncks w/syrp IMHO. :)

3. championjets69

No spin U know by now my mantra NO SB= unsuccessful season=garbage players. The simplest of equations. Put this somewhere so that you will have it for the future & not continue to accuse me of something that is totally incorrect

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I measure young players by how they react to the pressures of playing at the NFL level. If I like what I see there then I look at the physical attributes of the player and what they bring to the table and then finally at the level of execution the player is achieving at the moment.

This is why I liked Wayne Chrebet almost from the get-go. He was totally unfazed by the competition he faced. His physical attributes were laughable, which gave pause for concern but then his production alleviated that concern because the man could catch passes as well as any slot receiver the Jets have ever had.

Clemens has reacted very well to the pressures he's faced playing behind a poor offensive line and without a primary receiver in almost every game. He doesn't throw a lot of sloppy picks, although he's thrown a couple, he doesn't fumble the ball when he's laid out in the pocket, as he has been several times now, and he has a knack for knowing when to get out of the pocket and what to do with the ball after he does so. Finally, Clemens has reacted well to late game pressure and has shown that he can move the Jets when he needs to. The late drives to tie games have not been an accident. He just steps his game up a bit when it's on the line. That's an attribute that you can't teach somebody, they either have it or they don't, and Clemens seems to have it.

His physical attributes are good enough to play in the NFL, with a strong arm and enough escapability that he's a danger to scramble for a first down if the pocket collapses. He also appears to be a tough individual, having take several jarring hits so far and bouncing up from them. His stiff-arm of Joey Porter was the kind of move that a QB only makes if they have some confidence in their ability to play strong.

The downside so far is his execution, which has been mediocre at best. This is partly because the Jets pass protection is weak, and it's partly because the Jets receivers have had the dropsies, but it's also due to the simple fact that Clemens is not as accurate as you'd like a QB to be at this point. He has also made a few poor, first-time starter poor, decisions and we have to hope that he's learning from these.

To sum it up I see a guy who is mentally prepared to play in the NFL and who has the physical attributes required and now needs to match the primary factors with good execution. You can teach a player to execute the fundamentals well, and with experience that execution almost always improves over time.

5. championjets69

At least to me that is a terrific analysis on KC to date

6. Gator

Gator Active Member

Well, how about if a team goes 10-6, then the next year goes 13-3 and wins the SB with most of the same players? By your logic the 10-6 team had garbage players. Think about Pittsburgh 2004, and then 2005. 2004 team had garbage players because they did not win the SB. The 2005 team won the SB. So the garbage turned to roses?

7. championjets69

Your scenario did not occur so the players are garbage & cmon now U can not tell me U believe we have word beating players now can U? If you do not then what is your argument

8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Terrific summation, especially your first sentence.

Clemens has been thrust into less-than-ideal situations right from the git-go (last quarter of the Ravens game for starters) and handled the pressure reasonably well and from which he had to play from behind. And okay, the Dallas game was out of control on a lot of levels, but the 19-16 win over Pittsburgh was a lot of pressure and he pulled out the win. He's 24 years old and won't turn 25 until June.

Wasn't it Bill Parcells that once said (paraphrasing), "I don't care how well the QB plays when we're ahead and everything is hunky-dorry. I want to see how well he plays when we're behind by 2 TDs and having a losing season."

9. Gator

Gator Active Member

Actually, that's kind of the point. The scenario did occur...in Pittsburgh. They had a great record in 2004. 15-1, but lost in the playoffs. The following year with almost the same team they won the SUper Bowl. Who were the best players in 04? Roethlisberger, Bettis, Ward, Porter, Polamalu. Who were the best players in 05? Roethlisberger, Bettis, Ward, Porter, Polamalu. Using Champ logic, the 2004 team had garbage players because they did not win the Super Bowl.

10. championjets69

Player for player the quality of there players was many, many, many levels above the quality of our players which allowed your scenerio to occur

11. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

This is Fantastic! I wish they would use this as an article in one of the Major newspapers about Clemens. This is better than anything that I have seen that has been written about Clemens.

12. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Pittsburgh had way better talent than we have and a seasoned Head Coach who was ready to win the big one. They got hot at the right time and the Sb was the end result. Big Ben is one of the best Qb's in the league and he had future Hof Receiver in Hinds ward to throw to and a Future Hof Running back in Betis to hand off too. Pitt is a bad example. Pitt had good players and lost in the playoffs. The Jets players in 06 played over their heads and the 07 team showed it's true colors. There will be no mircaulous Sb run in 08!

13. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I like him, I just don't love him. Week to week it's different.

I will say that I met him in the family section after the Jets-Steelers game. I'm about 6-2 and he was definitely shorter than me. Very, very well built, but he's probably a little over 6. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

I admire his grit, but Jay Fiedler was a gritty guy too. At the end of the day he has to show me some superior vision and some steady progress before I'm ready to anoint him the future.

-X-

14. KSJets

KSJets New Member

And you're comparing Clemens to Namath. Who's the one over evaluating now? :wink:

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I see Champ comparing Clemens guts in the pocket to you know who. I'm not sure I disagree with that assessment. Right now Clemens biggest asset is that he stands in there in the face of an unblocked blitzer and still gets the ball out now and then. His TD pass against Baltimore was against an unblocked safety blitz that leveled him after the ball was away.

Right now I'd say comparing Clemens to Namath would be just silly in a general sense but if you want to say that his guts in the pocket reminds you of Namath, well I haven't seen anything at all to disagree with that so far.

And thinking about it I can't recall a Jet's QB in a long time that has stood up to a blitz the way Clemens does. Certainly not since before O'Brien and my memories get murky right about there.

16. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

Can' t stop laughing this is great.

17. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

I am not sold. But I am a Chad Fanboy.:up:

18. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Under blitz, Kenny O'Brien would immediately assume what I used to call the "Praying Mantis" position, followed within split seconds by a horizontal fetal position. And the guy behind me would always yell out, "Why don't you put on a dress, O'Brien!"

The only Jets QB that I can think of since Broadway Joe who would come close would be Vinnie Testaverde. All the rest should have worn dresses.

19. Gator

Gator Active Member

Totally agree. O'Brien was a deer in the headlights. Great arm, great accuracy, but that was all he had. The quintissential O'Brien highlight is LT on top of him going "Ya'll gonna have to do better than this, son"

The sad part was O'Brien had great receivers and a great running back behind him at the time.

20. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Well, I'd like to see how he handles the pressure for a full season before I compare him to anyone.