The future of Jets and NE

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenHornet, Dec 6, 2007.

1. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

This might be a good thread - how the hell do I know. Let's take out our crystal balls for a second and look into the future - what do you see for these 2 teams?

To me, this is a tough question:

Here's what happens to NE:

They get caught cheating; lose the 32nd pick in the draft and have to pay some money; they go undefeated this year (probable); they still wind up with a super high draft pick; they probably will take McFadden; next year, with Maroney and McFadden in the backfield; they may go undefeated for the next 2 consecutive years; then they will create a new bowl - the super duper bowl; where the NE Pats play the All-Pros from around the league; the winner gets the Kraft Trophy.

Now, how sick is that................part of it is sorta jesting.

Jets:

KC does prove he is the real deal; we bolster our lines this off-season and duke it out with Buffalo for a possible wild-card spot next year. We make the playoffs in 09 and 10, too. The best we do is get to the AFC Championship game once against - none other than NE (vomit, vomit) and we lose because Nugent slips on the frozen slippery turf in Foxboro while trying to kick a game winner from 35 yards out. NE wins the SB for the 4th consecutive year.

I hate to say it, but I really don't see when NE will start to decay. The only thing that could do it is as Brady ages if NE can't find a guy who is his equal talent-wise. NE may take a step back with an aging Defensive backfield, but if they use the 49er pick wisely, and get a real young stud linebacker, I think that would sustain them much better than if they took McFadden.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Where is Tony Soprano now that we really need him?

Brady needs to have an unfortunate "accident."

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

NE will trade down out of their pick, and acquire 2 first round draft picks this year AND next years first round draft pick. Then, all three of those picks will eventually pan out to be better than McFadden, who goes to whoever traded up to the spot.

4. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Just throwing out random thoughts, I don't see the Jets seriously contending for a SB in the next 2 years. The FO needs to commit to a coach, be it Mangini or someone else and stay the course for 4-5 years, let him build a team. KC needs time to develop, he is not like CP who came in and had immediate success, albeit CP had a much better team. In any case, KC needs a year or so to develop into his own. During that time, the Jets personnel/coaches/coordinators need serious overhaul, but of course you are restricted by the salary cap when it comes to players, so there is only so much movement you can do. A lot rests on the shoulders of KC, if he develops in a good, not even great NFL Qb, the Jets will be fine for the foreseeable future, if not, the franchise is in trouble until they find another QB.

The Pats, barring a serious injury to Brady or a sudden retirement by BB, I do not see them slowing down for the next 3-5 years. They just do a good job of bringing in players both young and old and having them flourish. Whatever system they use, it's proven to be a winner. I hope Mangini took good notes.

5. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Ne will trade down to get extra picks for Defensive backs and some disgruntled Superstar Cb will end up there for peanuts because they want a ring. Ne will win 3 our of the next four before Brady gets tired and retires!

6. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Man, I do too. NE, though I hate them vehemently, is a juggernaut. I don't see when they will be stopped. Who knows, Moss may be content there and say, "Just give me something reasonable and I'll stay; I am willing to work with you". Why not, he is having one of his best years and he makes Brady look great and/or vice versa.

7. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Your probably right. I think this is one secret on how a team gets strong and stays strong. Acquiring a library of picks for the future.

8. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

And who wouldn't want to play for them. Go in there for less money than other teams, but just do what they want from you and you will contend for a SB every year.

9. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Here's my plan: 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalties for as long as it takes to break Brady's arm.

There is only one vulnerable point in the Evil Triangle of New England:

You can't stop Kraft: His money and his appetite for winning are inexhaustable

You can't stop Belichick: Now that he's divorced, he's got nothing left but his inexhaustable hatred for NYJ and his evil genious which we are learning is miles ahead of his protege. Mangini should've stayed a few more years and learned some more.

BRADY, ONLY BRADY, IS VULNERABLE, for about 30 minutes every weekend. Time to attack the triangle and bring it down.

10. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

While this isn't a bad idea, I think after the 3rd one there would be ejections. Not to mention the fines.

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Precisely, NE, like it or not, is the center of the NFL universe right now.

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Maybe we should have a owner like Kraft & we would not have stunk so far for the 8 years of his ownership

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Possibly, but the Mo Lewis hit is still in play.

14. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The true "Axis of Evil:" Kraft, Belicheat and Brady.

15. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I dont see the Jets contending for a Super Bowl in the next 4 years! The way we would make a bowl game is by Lucking out! We would need every break to go our way and then maybe Just maybe . New England is built for the next few years ; Their set back will only come on the Defensive side of the ball due to an aging group of players.

16. Beamen

Beamen New Member

:rofl: Nice :wink:

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

New England will inevitably deteriorate.

Why?

Because they are beginning to age at some key positions and as they age they need to find similar quality players just to break even in terms of talent.

In some ways it is a curse to have a defensive line that includes Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork and Ty Warren, because as they begin to break down over the years the odds on finding replacements at that level are vanishingly small.

Look at the Pittsburgh Steelers dynasty of the 70's to see this interaction in play. LC Greenwood, Ernie Holmes, Joe Greene, Dwight White, the front four in the Steel Curtain. Right behind them at the heart of the defense were Jack Ham, Jack Lambert and Andy Russell, the linebacker group seen as maybe the most talented 3 man alignment in history. Then there were 3 All-Pros in the back field in Mel Blount, Glen Edwards and Mike Wagner. the 4th guy in that backfield? Donnie Shell. The rookie DB on that team, who could not break the starting lineup? Dave Brown, who played in the NFL for 13 seasons.

So the opponents of the Steelers, circa January 7th 1976, were looking at a team that had just won back to back Super Bowls. 8 starters on the defensive side had just made the Pro Bowl. It looked absolutely hopeless. But the hidden weakness on that team was the advancing ago of the defensive base. Joe Greene was 30. L.C. Greenwood was 30. Andy Russell was 35. Mel Blount was 28. Glen Wagner was 29. The Steelers won again in 1978 and 1979, but the Steel Curtain was rusting and the dynasty was more than half over by 1976.

The Patriots frontloaded for this season by signing Adalius Thomas to a long-term contract. They traded for Randy Moss to kick their offense up into high gear. By doing both of these things they achieved their short term goal: to be dominant in 2007. However, they also accelerated their probable decline moving forward. Adalius Thomas is 30 this year on a linebacking corps that already was getting long in the tooth with Teddy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel and Rosevelt Colvin. Randy Moss is also 30 and joins Tom Brady on the wrongside of the actuarial tables for NFL longevity.

The basic concept here is pretty simple: building a great team insures great results in the short term and then exposes the team to declining productivity as the great components age out and average to good components replace them. That's why dynasties rise and fall. It's hard to see right now but the 12-0 Patriots are declining before our eyes as their older players become less likely to be able to contribute at the same levels in the future. It'll be hard for them to find similar caliber players to replace them.

18. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Im going to have to disagree with this. There are to many 26-30 year olds who will go there on short contracts to get rings and they draft exceptionally well. They have San Fran's pick this year to get a Lb or Trade down to continue to bring Quality depth to the team. It is sad to say but they manage to find those low first to fourth round players that turn into stars that everyone else misses. This has been going on for years with them and I don't see a reason it will change. They also have a get rid of them a year to early as opposed to a year to late principal that seems to work for them as well. Bill B is an a** but the ship he is running over there is as good as I have seen. Plus the owner will spend money if he request it.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's still going to be very difficult for them to replace the number of players they need to replace over the next 3 or 4 years.

Drafting a 2nd round linebacker doesn't come close to replacing any of their current linebackers unless they get lucky and find a star.

Historically the longest reign of dominance for an NFL team that included championships was the 49ers from 1981 to 1992. They did this in the period before the salary cap was implemented to prevent teams from warehousing players. With no salary cap the Patriots would have half a dozen future stars in waiting sitting on the bench waiting for their chance to play. With it they have normal NFL backups, suited just to stepping in to cover an injury and completely unable to step in and have impact if a star declines for good.

#19 Br4d, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  20. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

patriots should have lost both picks