Kellen Clemens is NEXT

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Nesquik, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Well according to ESPN anyway. Nice article which has a little bit about Kellen, also nice to know that he is a strong armed qb glad to see what thats gonna be like.

Heres the link
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3141615&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos3
    Kellen Clemens, New York Jets QB

He is a big, strong-armed QB who can make all the throws. If the Jets can surround him with enough talent, Clemens has the chance to develop into an elite NFL quarterback. -- Jeremy Green

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

But he's not big...

3. Beamen

Beamen New Member

He is big.. Not tall, but big... He has a thick frame and is pretty tough in the pocket because of it...

4. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

He's listed at 6'-2", 223 lbs., but having seen him in person at TC, I'm going to say maybe an inch shorter and possibly a little lighter:

http://www.topix.net/content/kri/2007/11/scouting-jets-qb-kellen-clemens

Scouting Jets QB Kellen Clemens
    A Liberal Dose

November 21, 2007

Original A Liberal Dose article: Scouting Jets QB Kellen Clemens
    New York Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens is trying to prove he is the future of the franchise.

Clemens took a big step in that direction Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers. While he didn't play exceptionally, he led the Jets (2-8) to a 19-16 overtime upset. It took Clemens just two games as the new starter to equal what it took veteran Chad Pennington to accomplish in seven games by winning one game.

Clemens, in his second year, replaced Pennington as the starter Nov. 4 against Washington. In his past two starts, the Jets have dug out of their dormant ways that came with a 1-7 start before Clemens took over.

In Clemens' two losses as a starter, the Jets lost in overtime (Washington) and by seven points (Baltimore).

Strengths:

Strong arm with ability to make all the throws needed. Tough competitor and moves well with good size (6-foot-2, 223 pounds).

Weaknesses:

Inexperience. Clemens played two games as a rookie last year and had not completed a pass before this season.

How to stop:

Try to rattle him quickly with pressure. It could be tough for a young quarterback to recover on the road from a poor start, especially in a national showcase game.

Last week:

Completed 14 of 31 passes for 162 yards with one touchdown and one interception in a 19-16 overtime victory against Pittsburgh.

Fantasy value:

Only if you are desperate for a starter. Clemens has thrown three touchdowns with five interceptions.

Notable:

Second-round pick (49th overall) out of Oregon in 2006.... Was raised on a 3,500-acre family ranch in Oregon.... Set career state record with 8,646 yards and 102 touchdowns.... Ranked fifth in the nation in total offense in 2005.... Was 0-for-1 passing last season.... Made first career start in Week 2 against Baltimore, a 20-13 loss.

Copyright ? 2007 A liberal dose, All Rights Reserved.

5. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Am I the only one who is still out on him?

6. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy New Member

I've never been high on him. If they can nab Brian Brohm in the draft get him. Then again they do have a QB of the future on the roster....his name is Chad.

7. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

and I thought there was only one of you left....

8. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

6'2 is decent height though, right?

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dont know if its the way he wears his pads or what, but he looks like he has a freakin huge upper body. Its like he's all chest and no legs. But that's definetely a good thing.

Jury is still out on Clemens, but I really like a lot of what I've seen from him- he's tough as nails in the pocket and doesnt play tenative like most 1st year starters do.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The "ideal" height for an NFL QB is 6' 4", 6' 5". There are plenty of successful QB's that play below that height though.

11. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Put lift in his shoes. I to was suprised how short he was compared to some of our lineman when they stood next to him. But the way he flicks that ball out is a terrific + in his favor

12. Section 227. Row 5

This is the second day in a row I'm reading something positive from you on Clemens.

Pass the smelling salts, please!

13. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Champ like a lot of us was seduced into the game by "The Jets QB"
    Even the remote possability that this kid has it is something to be excited about. If Mangini has any balls, he has Clemens wear white shoes against the Pats.

14. KSJets

KSJets New Member

He's not 6'2" though. I think right after he came out he said he was 6'0 5/8" so closer to 6'1" than 6'2". Still should be fine though as Drew Brees is doing pretty well and he's not 6'4" or 6'5" either.

15. Section 227. Row 5

I am SO looking forward to the Pats game. Probably be hugely disappointed, but then again, there's always the chance.....

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I really don't care about the Pats game at the moment, I would like to see us show that we can beat the Browns and Chiefs.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It's generally fairly safe to assume that if Champ rates a player highly, they're definitely a very good player. He often puts down players that I feel shouldn't be put down, but that's his opinion. My point is that when champ says they're good I listen because I know it takes quite a lot to make him say such things.

My comments yesterday questioning where all the confidence in Clemens was coming from was partially induced by reading Champs optimistic comments on Clemens. It confuses me because I haven't seen anything spectacular from the guy yet. I am beginning to wonder if his optimism is (consiously or subconsiously) fueled by the fact that he knows he probably doesn't have many more chances at a Jet QB turning into a great one. This is in no way an attempt to attack champ, it's just something running through my mind as his optimism in this case seems a bit peculiar to me.

18. KSJets

KSJets New Member

I think it's also partially due to it just being someone other than Chad, but I agree, I've only seen champ make somewhat positive posts about Mangold and one other player. I want to say Rhodes, but I'm not sure about that one. I know it wasn't more than two players though.

19. Section 227. Row 5

I'm sure Champ will have somethng to say about this, but there's a certain amount of truth in what you are saying.

I'm about Champ's age too, so I go way back to the '69 SB and before. We ahven't had a decent QB in so long, I don't know what I'd do if I suddenly woke up one day and found everyone praising our QB up the whazoo.

At the moment, Clemens is cause for great hope, and that's good enough for me right now.

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The answer is

The way he flicks that ball out is a terrific + in his favor. I would also add his guts in the pocket also reminds me of someone way, way back when

Our last QB that had that ability was somebody way back when & I mean way back when