We need a playmaker: Draft McFadden

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreyhoundJet, Nov 30, 2007.

1. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

No, first we'd have to hear how the Jets screwed up their draft position by winning meaningless games, and how we'd miss out on the "best running back in years" because of it.

It amazes me that no one on this board has applied for the GM position. There are obviously better experts here than Tannenbaum.

2. Drew

Drew Active Member

I'm down for that.

3. ANJI

ANJI New Member

We got to take DMC if he is there. Can't pass up talent like that, TJ and Washington aren't good enough to pass on a guy like that. Imagine Mcfadden running threw the holes the made on sunday...... that is some ting the Jets need badly.

4. rillo

rillo New Member

No way....too much money tied up in one position that isn't a need. Sorry, i'll pass on McFadden as should the JETS.

5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

We also saw that our RB tandem was just fine when the line makes holes. That means the line is not playing consistent. McFadden won't have the same kind of daylight at the pro level as he does at the college level...especially not on the Jets.

I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him as long as we make some moves to insure that he'll be able to be productive once he gets here. If those moves are not made, then it's a terrible pick imo.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Knowing what we know right now I would not trade Leon Washington even up for McFadden. Given that why would I want to draft him to take carries away from Washington?

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

You now officially have no right to complain about any moves made by this FO..Leon makes a nice gadget player, nothing more, McFadden has a chance to be special.

It doesn't matter at this point anyway, we have probably won ourselves out of the McFadden sweepstakes anyway. We better fix our run D though, otherwise its gonna suck watching him run over our D with NE twice a year for the next 10 years..

8. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I really doubt we McFadden or I even further doubt he will be available at our pick. There are many other teams who our struggling like us.

Jets 3-9 Projected finish 4-12 we beat KC
    Dolphins 0-12 PF 1-15 - even I think they will win one game; maybe Cinn
    Ravens 4-7 PF 6-10 Ws at Mia and Pitt
    Bengals 4-8 PF 6-10 or 7 - 9 easy schedule coming home
    KC 4-8 PF 5-11 kinda tough coming home - we better beat them
    Raiders 4-8 PF 4-12 very tough rest of year; may get 5-11 if they play the second stringers of a playoff bound team that has nothing to gain with a W.
    Falcons 3-9 PF 4-12; maybe 5-11.
    Niners 3-9 PF 4-12; maybe 5-11.
    Rams 3-9 PF 4-12;maybe 5-11.

So if this were to pan out Miami would have the 1st pick and there would be 5 possibly 6 teams tied for the 2nd pick (us included). I have no idea what criteria are used to figure out tie-breakers in the drafting case.

#88 GreenHornet, Dec 3, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  9. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Can we finally take a chance at one playmaker in my Lifetime. We have not had a superstar in 30 years! Draft MCFADDEN!

10. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Forget about McFadden and go for the best RB in CFB.

Kevin Smith of UCF!

He should be available later than McFadden will be.

11. csw572

csw572 Banned

I would love to have a playmaker, but at the same time i would love to trade down and grab a couple more players for that defense. Rhodes, Harris, and Revis are starting to really play well. Robertson has also shown improvement. Get a couple more studs in the mix and we will have a pretty good defense. Address the O-line in free agency and we could be a playoff team.

12. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Screw Mcfadden. All picks should be going toward D and Olines this year and maybe one WR. We have absolutely NO need for a RB.

13. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

There will be none of the above when we pick who are worth a pick that high and there is no one who will trade away their draft to come up to us for a Qb because guys like Colt brennan can be had in the second rd this year. You want to draft a guy who is not a 4-3 fit with a top five pick just because we need him. We will be throwing the pick away.

14. Br4d

Leon Washington has Brian Westbrook/Warrick Dunn type potential and that potential is backed up by his performance behind a really poor offensive line over the last two seasons.

Anybody who thinks he's only a gadget player at this point hasn't been watching the Jets very closely over the last two years. Gadget players don't go 64 yards with outlet passes against a top 10 defense as Washington did last year against Miami. It takes real skill and ability to do that and Westbrook and Dunn don't have any more of that than Washington does, they've just had more opportunity.

#94 Br4d, Dec 3, 2007
  15. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I would like the Jets to trade down next year but, if they can't, I think McFadden is a good choice.

I love Leon - think he's fantastic - one my favorite Jets right now. But you have to take the best player available. It worked for the Saints with Bush. You can't have too much depth at RB anyways (cases in point: Kolby Smith, the other Adrian Peterson, Jesse Chatman, etc.)

16. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Way early mock draft but pertinent to the discussion:

3. NEW YORK JETS
    CHRIS LONG
    DE | Virginia | Scouting Report
    This could end up being the ultimate battle of Talent vs. Need. Darren McFadden is undeniably the best player available here but the Jets already have a reliable, albeit unspectacular, running back in Thomas Jones. The other option would be Chris Long, who obviously wouldn't be quite as sexy of a pick as McFadden but is a perfect fit for Eric Mangini's 3-4 scheme and would finally give them that impact defensive lineman they have been searching for. Explosive offensive playmaker or help for their leaky defense? This is close but Mangini's defensive background could ultimately win out.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

17. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

The posts are neck and neck - pro vs. con for McFadden. While having a star at the RB position is exciting we have to just think for a second that our star may already be here. TJ is a bruiser and Leon is a guy who could take it to the house anytime he gets the ball. We haven't seen much of either this year because it is eveident we need major upgrades at 1 or 2 OG's and at least 1 OT - in other words, our O-line is really pretty sad. Mangold and D'Brick are our only real foundation. Everyone else is expedible or can be moved to a backup role.

TJ and Leon were never allowed to excel this year because the holes were few and far between. If we could beef up our O-line so more holes were created to spring our running backs into the Defensive backfield and secondary, we would see immediate improvement in our ground production.

As much as I would like to see a potential star like McFadden on the team I think the ones posting who say we need to use all our resources in the FA market and draft to address the offensive line and defensive line, and possibly a standout speedy WR are on the right track.

I think this gives us the most bang for the buck. If we do go that route then I think we will really be able to appreciate the worth of Leon and TJ. If we increase the opportunities of these guys getting through the line relatively untouched then the big plays these guys can make have to go up by just the shear law of averages.

#97 GreenHornet, Dec 3, 2007
  18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Oh I have been watching closely, I see a guy that can make things happen in the open field, not a guy that can be counted on to carry the ball 25-30 times a game. I haven't seen enough to suggest that he is on the same talent level as Westbrook and Dunn is nothing more than an average NFL RB, certainly not good enough to pass on a top talent like McFadden for.

Now if you want to make the argument that there are bigger needs than McFadden, I can't argue that but to say you wouldn't trade a 3rd down back for a pro bowl talent straight up is just ridiculous.

19. Br4d

The reason the Saints took Bush was because he was the consensus best player in the draft by an order of magnitude and he fell in their laps.

Darren McFadden is one of four or five players that people are considering as potentially the best player in the draft. He's a junior who has had a very heavy carry load so far and will finish with in the vicinity of 800 carries for his college career if he declares in 2008.

Who does he compare to coming out of school?

Ricky Williams, Adrian Peterson (although Peterson had his heavy carry season as a sophomore. breaking down thereafter, McFadden's breakdown season is next season), Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson and Cadillac Williams.

Personally I'd rather not take a guy with that comparison group on a top 5 pick with Leon Washington in hand and Thomas Jones signed for 4 more years, there's just no percentage in it.

If we had Minnesota's offensive line and defensive unit would he be worth taking? Maybe. But if we had those assets leon Washington and Thomas Jones would be rushing for 2,000 yards between them this season and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

20. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I agree. If we address our O and D lines we will be quite happy with TJ and Leon.