We need a playmaker: Draft McFadden

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreyhoundJet, Nov 30, 2007.

1. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I have seen many different arguments for and against drafting Darren McFadden. However, as I watch this team and look back on past teams I believe that we need someone like McFadden to jumpstart our offense and infuse excitement back into this franchise. I know this example is brought up time and time again but all you have to do is look at how Adrian Peterson has made the Vikings exciting and competitive. I have seen McFadden only a few times but I believe that he has the potential to be a great NFL back. He hits the whole hard and has a great combination of strength and speed. Realistically, the Jets probably will not be competing for a Super Bowl for a number of years. By that time Thomas Jones will be old and we will be stuck with him. I realize we need defensive help but having a top 5 pick is something that doesn't come around very often and drafting a playmaker should be our first priority.

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I don't agree.

Minny can win without Peterson. He's not the sole reason they've been coming back.

We have far too many holes for one "groundbreaker" to fix.

Reggie Bush was supposed to be a blockbuster player. New Orleans doesn't look ready for a repeat performance from last year with him as the feature back.

The lines need serious fixing. Jones is good enough if we have a line that can block.

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

i could go either way on this....but at least its not like we'd have to mortgage other picks to draft mcfadden....that would be retarded...we could draft mcfadden and then have a successful draft for the rest of the two days.....plus have successful drafts in the coming years...because not only are we not one big pick away from being good...we're not even one good draft away from being good

4. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

I was just about to make this same exact post.

I am sick of filling holes with a bunch of half-ass players and trying to win despite not having a star player on this team.

Get me a playmaker.

5. Canadian

Canadian New Member

Let's do it, come on Jets get McFadden:up:

6. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

No way in hell do we have any business even thinking about a RB at this point. I don't know how many threads on this guy we're going to have to endure between now and April over this.

I want two lines full of big, ugly, meanspirited, people-moving lard-asses. If we don't address a damned thing between now and next September other than satisfy that goal, I'm still one happy camper.

7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Good, you get them in FA or in the later rounds in the draft. McFadden is someone....like I've said many times already...that is a game breaker. Someone that is a threat to score from anywhere on the field. I can't see why people can't see the value in that.

You go and get your big nasties in other ways not with top 3 picks.

8. rillo

rillo New Member

Sorry I'll pass.....

9. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Who is this McFadden fellow you speak of? This is the first I'm hearing his name mentioned on TGG.COM

10. slimmjim45

slimmjim45 New Member

put him in at qb and we can run the option

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Reggie Bush?

Vince Young?

Mike Vick?

Still want to know why I'm not infatuated with "gamebreakers"?

As I said, Minny has been able to win without Peterson in the game. One player does not make a team a playoff contender.

Unless there are blockers to make some room for a RB to get his wheels going, no one short of Barry Sanders is going to gain yards for us. BTW: remember how good the Lions were with Sanders?

Playmakers are the add-ons when you have everything else in place. Football is a team sport. Hell, for years the Ravens had a top-tier RB, with the league's best D, they took home one whole title for the trouble. The Chiefs have had All-Pro RBs in their backfield for years, and can't even win their division.

I'd rather trade down, stockpile picks, and boost need positions. Jones and Washington, behind a solid OLine, and guys like Harris, behind a solid DLine, and suddenly we're not looking at a team with no wins as a "I pray we win this one" game.

12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I'm all for getting BPA , but McFadden has questionables from what I've seen and heard , (which has been limited this season).
    For me RB is the final piece of the jigsaw , but if that RB is of such outstanding pedigree , like Bush for example we should either take them or get value for the pick. Right now I'd take the latter.
    For me McFadden isn't in the same class as Peterson or Bush , regardless of records.

13. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Its all very well saying who we want but until the season is over we won't know where will will pick and who will be left at that point in the draft.
    There's a lot of water to go under the bridge yet and names will come and go - and a broken leg, etc can plummet someone down the draft - we should just take BPA!

14. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

i fully understand the argument to build a team from the inside out. solidify the lines by getting some big old grunts to hold down the line of scrimmage, and THEN add the skill position players on the outside.

HOWEVER...

this team needs a spark. we need a spark SO INCREDIBLY BADLY. we are irrelevant, we are boring, we are a laughing stock. we have no star players. virtually every team has at least one star player who receives national attention - guys who sell jerseys outside of their home market. WE NEVER HAVE THAT GUY. this team needs a jolt of energy, and his name is darren mcfadden. end of story.

15. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Trading down is only an option when a viable trade partner is available. In recent history, that has not been the case very often, especially in the top 5. Barring a massive trade down, which I am in favor of, WE NEED TO DRAFT MCFADDEN. It's about time we get a guy in here that the defense needs to plan around.

16. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

A playmaker yes. But I lean toward a wide receiver. With our group, the opponents will put 9 in the box and stop McFadden. With a great wideout, and an OL upgrade, Jones will be able to get a few holes to run thru.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The only way I see us drafting McFadden is if we package Thomas Jones and Chad Pennington to the Bears.

18. Murrell2878

You only listed a few guys that didn’t or should I say haven’t panned out yet (Bush and Young are only in their SECOND year!)

Yeah, I remember the Lions. They made the playoffs 5 times and 1 NFC Championship Game. Their problem was the inept play at quarterback and a horrible offensive system (the Run and Shoot). They maxed out Scott Mitchell the best they could. Sanders is what made that team go. They also had to contend with the Redskins, Cowboys, 49ers and Packers during those years.

The Vikings won one game barely against the awful Raiders and the second against the Giants because Eli threw 3 INTs that went back for TDs. These kinds of things happen.

Here's some more gamebreakers that you didn't mention.
    Randy Moss
    Terrell Owens
    LaDanian Tomlinson
    Willie Parker

Each of those players I listed above all warrant special attention by the defensive coordinator. Who on the Jets warrants that kind of attention? Maybe Leon Washington and only in kickoff return situations. Our blah, boring offense is killing us. It’s not the playcalling, it’s the talent we have to work with that forces our play calling.

Trading down is fine and all. But not when you have a chance to get someone who can redefine your offense and force the defense to game-plan against that one player. This will enable you to open up your offense and be more creative. Imagine an offensive set with Thomas Jones in the backfield, Coles, Cotchery, Smith and McFadden all line up wide. You could reverse it to McFadden. You could reverse it to Smith who could throw the ball. You could run it up the middle with Jones. You could bubble screen it to McFadden. Have Cotchery and Coles run intermediate routes and McFadden go deep. We can’t do that today. Maybe you’re thinking we can do that with Washington. Maybe you could, but there’s a real difference between Washington (who’s a real nice player) and McFadden who is an All Pro talent.

I know it’s en-vogue to be against the “popular” pick and list all the teams that had these types of players and failed. And bringing in linemen is important. But are you really going to tell me we aren’t going to address these needs in Free Agency? I expect a much more aggressive approach to free agency this year. I really think we will go after Lilja and make a move to get Terrell Suggs.

The offensive line isn’t the whole problem. It can be better yes, but the real problem is our predictablilty on offense and not one player that scares the defense. That’s the problem.

On defense you’re right. We do need a run stuffing NT. But do you think we should use a top 5 pick on a DT? Why would you do that. We need to address the D-Line in Free Agency as well.

19. Murrell2878

Bingo!

Mr. Nail meet Mr. Head

20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

We need some monster pass rushing DE with that pick. RBs grow on trees comparatively.