Jets' top receivers Coles, Cotchery may miss game vs. Miami

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by youraveragejoe29, Nov 29, 2007.

1. youraveragejoe29

youraveragejoe29 New Member

we all knew about coles, but cotch too??? supposedly he was injured in practice on monday, and as usual, mangini is not going into the specifics of the injury yet. i thought we were bad without coles, but now this?? heres the article...

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Kellen Clemens might be without his top two targets when the New York Jets take on the winless Miami Dolphins.

Jerricho Cotchery has missed practice all week with an injured right index finger, while Laveranues Coles has been limited by an ankle injury that caused him to miss New York's game against Dallas on Thanksgiving.

"We'll look at all those guys and evaluate at the end of the week and see how it is," coach Eric Mangini said Thursday.

Mangini revealed that Cotchery's injury occurred Monday during practice, but wouldn't go into specifics, as is the Jets' policy. In fact, it was a bit surprising Mangini acknowledged which finger was injured; it was weeks before he revealed which knee linebacker Jonathan Vilma needed season-ending surgery on earlier this month.

Cotchery, normally one of the handful of players who speaks to the media daily, hasn't been seen in the locker room or on the practice field all week. Cotchery leads the Jets with 54 catches for 730 yards and a touchdown.

Coles was injured during the Jets' 19-16 overtime win against Pittsburgh on Nov. 18 while making a 56-yard catch off a flea flicker that set up a touchdown. He returned briefly, but was noticeably hobbled and then sat out against the Cowboys.

Coles, second on the team with 43 catches for 529 yards and six TDs, hopes to play and has been on the practice field, but has been limited. His availability for Sunday was still uncertain.

If Coles and Cotchery can't go, Clemens' main targets would be Justin McCareins, Brad Smith and tight end Chris Baker, who have a combined 58 catches this season. The only other wide receivers on the Jets' active roster are Wallace Wright and Chris Davis, although they also have David Clowney, Evan Prall and David Ball on the practice squad.

"You want everybody to be there and we'll work them through the normal game plan, like we do with anybody who's in that situation," Mangini said of Coles and Cotchery. "And then, it's also the type of thing where other guys get opportunities if they aren't there. That's why you work so many different people in terms of combinations, so that the quarterback is always working with different guys and there is some flexibility if you do encounter a situation like this."

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

well that sucks ass.

3. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Damn...that's really bad news...I want to have all our guys playing so we can make fish food.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I guess our 20 million dollar RB will just have to earn his keep this week.

5. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

It's okay, the teams are more even now. :wink:

6. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

We probably wont pass, GO AFTER this Miami horrific run D with Thomas Jones. Miami will surely put men up front to stockpile on the run so Clemens will have to pass to Chris Baker often and long since Brad Smith as our No.1 WR and Justin McCariens as our No.2 arent exactly ringing endorsements.

7. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

God. Dammit. At first I found it hard to believe we were an underdog playing against an 0-11 team, but the closer Sunday gets and the more I think about it.. yeah.. definitely not so unbelievable.

8. rillo

rillo New Member

Wow....This really sucks, If we lose to the Phins......I'll be sick to my stomach. This is not good news @ all......SHIT!

9. Don

I wonder if Zach Thomas is playing this week. If he is it might not be as horrific.

Nope..just looked him up and it looks like he will still be out.

10. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Just run all over them. Screens to Leon and TJ should account for most of the passing yards, and if necessary, pass to Baker in the end zone for TDs.

Easy.

11. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

In fact, where can I place a bet on Leon leading the Jets in receiving yards this week?

12. Don

The bigger question who is #3 and #4.

13. Don

Right here with me.

14. ROCKJET

ROCKJET New Member

maybe they are both being benched for saying "i hope the patriots go undefeated"

the "injuries" are a cover-up

#14 ROCKJET, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  15. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Im guessing we will see this Ball guy we just signed on Sunday.....

Though I think Cotchery will play, hurt or not.

16. youraveragejoe29

youraveragejoe29 New Member

my guess is ball was just signed for depth.. i guess at least we'll get to see more of craig davis and wallace wright this week.. not sure if thats a good thing.

but yea, tj will need to have a big day, and we neeeed to get leon involved with more screen plays. baker could be a factor too.. kellen tends to look for him in the middle of the field pretty often, and rightfully so.

17. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

please sell this team. What else can go wrong.

18. Beamen

Beamen New Member

How the hell is a young QB supposed to build any confidence behind a swiss cheese OL, and with Justin McCareins as his #1 WR? This is disgusting

19. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

Makes it hard to eval anything that Kellen does this year. I'm getting more and more convinced that we need to draft a WR in either the 1st or 2nd round.

20. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

wow. With our already horrific WR depth we cannot afford for both coles and cotch out. I really wanna beat the fins. I still think we'll win but it might be too close for comfort