Insider Claims Jets Interested in Chris Long

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Warhound7, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Well Gholston is smaller than Long...but Gholston has a lot more speed and will most likely line up in a 2 point stance and play rush OLB for the Jets.

Chris Long has so much of a motor that his size won't matter -- we won't know his exact size until the combine -- some say he's 260, but others say he's 285. If Long is somewhere in between those two weights at the combine, I wouldn't mind the Jets taking him. He tries as hard as he can and goes as hard as he can go on EVERY play.

2. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

Everyone needs to calm down with the "size" talk. Look at Teddy Bruschi. The guy is severely undersized to play linebacker in a 3-4 (or linebacker in professional football) but he does it and he does it well because of his motor. As Mr. Electric stated, if this guy goes out on every play and acts gives it 150% with his ability, foresight, intelligence and brute strength he'd be a fine addition to the team.

3. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I really don't think Bruschi is undersized. He might be short but he's listed at 247 pounds and I'd be willing to bet he's closer to 260. He's a big dude who can take on blockers.

4. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Bruschi is not undersized at all

5. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I think we should draft mcfadden, but if he doesnt we need to trade down and get picks.I like long but just because u can play in a certain system in college doesnt mean u can do thta in the pros. He is even a better prospect than Carriker but carriker would have fit our defense alot better, in the pros he is a 4-3 end.Just hearing that we could think of him playing linebacker just makes me doubt even drafting him.

We could trade down very easily though, say if the Jets dont want mcfadden for some reason. Atlanta who is a possible place for Mcfadden to go has a first and 2 2nd round picks.Depending on how far we are away from them in the drfat we could possibly get ATL's 1st and their seconds too.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

he's 6'1 240...that's undersized for the 3-4. Anyone will tell you that, especialy Jonathan Vilma.

7. DraftaFullBack

Bruschi is 247, Vilma, he's 230.

The following Inside linebackers weigh less than Tedy Bruschi and start for teams that use the 3-4.

James Farrior
    Bradie James
    David Harris
    Larry Foote
    Matt Wilhelm
    Akin Ayodele
    Stephen Cooper

Yeah, you get the Idea, Bruschi isn't undersized.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

HORRIBLE LIST

Bradie James is 6'2 250, so he's bigger than Bruschi

David Harris is probably up to 250 now

James Farrior is 243, wow that's a HUGE difference...4 pounds!

Foote IS undersized at 237

Wilhelm is an OUTSIDE linebacker and he's 6'4 250, so he's bigger than Bruschi also

Ayodele is an OUTSIDE linebacker, and he's 6'2 250

Cooper IS undersized at 235

Cooper and Foote are undersized for the 3-4 and Farrior was mediocre at best for the Jets and he changed his career around in Pittsburgh.

Yeah, you get the idea -- other teams besides the Patriots have undersized linebackers too. The difference between these teams and the Jets is the D-line. Bring some better info to the board next time you try to act like you know something.

Bruschi is undersized, he just has a motor that never quits.

9. DraftaFullBack

The Cowboys website listed Bradie James at 240 i went by that.

You say 4 pounds is insignificant but guys that are at 250 are only 3 pounds heavier and they're not undersized?

Wilhelm and Ayodele are listed as inside LB on their respective teams website, I'm not familiar with those teams so I don't know.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Wilhelm at 6'4 250 is a lot bigger than Tedy Bruschi at 6'1 "247".

11. JetsLookingforDWare

Bruschi is a very stout player. He's not undersized.

Vilma might weigh 230 when he's wet. But even more important is that he's not as good as taking on blocks as Bruschi and Harris (and others) are.

Not having a big NT hurts Vilma alot too.

12. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

He's not even a 3-4 end, more of the linebacker combo thing that Thomas plays.
    Plus, he's small, how is it adding bulk. Ellis is something like 285 and he's still hardly big enough. Look at NE, Seymore and Warren are both 300+

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I would certainly hope we are interested in him. Every other team in the NFL would love him and I guarantee if NE picks ahead of us they will take him if he is still on the board.

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Revis,Jones,and Harris refute that argument.

2 possibilities here.

I see Long moving from the line to standing up. However, If you draft long, and a NT, pushing DRob to the outside, Drob,NT, Long, with Coleman in the rotation, will give teams fits.

However, Coleman just got a sweet deal, so my thinking is if they draft Long, it will be to play LOLB, and allow Thomas to be ROLB.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The refutations: "Well they got me and that's good, but we suck and that's bad."

What do Aaron Glenn, Mo Lewis, Marvin Jones, Keyshawn Johnson, Hugh Douglas, Adrian Murrell, Richie Anderson and Ray Mickens all have in common?

They were all talented players drafted by clueless idiots.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Chris Long would not be a bad pick at all. He's been groomed, is talented, smart, and has an extremely high motor. Size or not, I would rather have a player with those attributes than anything. I wouldn't make him an OLB, I would keep him where he's comfortable at DE.

My choices would be:

1. Chris Long- look above

2. Jake Long, RT- he's a great run blocker and a core with Brick, Mangold and him is solid now and in the future- plus our o-line is horrible.

3. McFadden- we need a guy who has the ability to score on any play. Plus he's probably the best player in the draft; worth a look if still there.

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

If we are in the position to grab any of those three I'll be happy. I would not really care which one of the three, 2 of them fill a major need and the third is the best player in this draft class IMO.

18. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

although i do agree that weight is not the deciding factor of positions in the nfl, the exception is on the lines. so many people on this board hate the idea of vilma being a 3-4 linebacker, but then want to draft a smallish 3-4 lineman, doesnt make sense to me?if its a 10-20 pound difference i wont mind, anything over this and its a problem, especially with pro linemen.

19. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

ok, i didn't mean this to turn into a teddy bruschi dick measuring contest. you all need to calm down, except mr. electric who came to my rescue ;)

as for the draft: it's all up in the air. The dolphins are going to have the first pick and they have so many needs, especially on offense. Beck may not be the answer and I don't think the best offensive line in the game will make him the answer. They have huge injury problems at running back and lack an explosive playmaker at WR. What am I trying to say here? Jake Long isn't a lock to go to Miami. We could see McFadden go here or one of the top QBs like Matt Ryan.

If he's there, Chris Long is an obvious choice because of his possibilities. It's too early to call.

#39 Warhound7, Nov 26, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  20. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Enough chatter. Let's just find a way to get Dorsey. He's the perfect 4-3 DT/3-4 DE hybrid.