Growing Pains - Get used to it

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If anyone today expected a competitive game, you gave this team waaay too much credence after they ambushed the Steelers. No way was Dallas going to take this team lightly and it showed.

For the record, this game wasn't even as close as the score and the score was pretty lopsided. Dallas could have run it up on us but they didn't. Kudos to Wade Phillips for not pissing on the Jets on Thanksgiving Day.

Clemens is getting his baptism by fire now. Eventually, assuming Woody and Tangina gets quality talent in here, Clemens will have time to throw. Jones? He's a plowhorse but right now at this level of our development, he's not the right kind of RB we need.

We're alot farther away from being competitive than our "close losses" indicate. Outside of a handful of guys, this team needs a massive upgrading at almost every skilled position. Again, this will be years in the making and although other teams have done it quicker, these are the Jets we're talking about here.

2011 anyone? :cool: :up:

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yeah we're rebuilding big time.

This regime will not be here when the Jets next make the playoffs.

3. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Baseball season can't come here fast enough

This is more distressing than 2003 and 2005- at least we could blame those seasons on injuries. This season, what excuse do we have? This is what happens when you sit on your hands during the offseason and fail to solidify the lines.

Bottom line, this team is really bad and we'll be the laughing stock of the league for at least a couple of seasons until things brighten up.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Another enabler. When are people going to realize this team just plain sucks. This isn't growing pains unless you consider going backwards as progress. All that win did last week was cost us a better draft pick.

5. Br4d

What's happening this year isn't going backwards, it's going down the drain.

6. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Its really not all Manginis fault either. The talent on this team just isnt there whatsoever. I havent seen a Jet team in over 10 years with so many holes. Its going to be 2-3 years before we even sniff the playoffs again sadly....

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The worst part is that for most teams, a blowout on national TV on Thanksgiving is likely to be the low point of there season. We still have to go into Foxborough.

8. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Again, it all starts with the offensive line. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have guys blocking for our team like the line blocking for Romo today. A couple roadgrading guards in front of Clemens would do wonders for his passer rating, and Jones numbers. Oh, sure, we might need a WR. But look at Dallas: Sam (who?) Hurd was the starting receiver beside T.O., and that didn't seem to hurt their production.

It may not be pretty, but I hope for a pair of top-shelf guards in the offseason (and maybe a RT too.) Of course, I've spent the last many years now hoping for offensive line help in the offseason, and rarely do I get everything I want.

9. Br4d

That's at least partly Mangini's fault. This collection of misfit toys was assembled on his watch. The Jets currently have three starters on offense that predate Mangini: Coles, Moore and Baker. Everybody else was acquired or elevated to starter on his watch. The Jets currently have five starters on defense that predate Mangini: Ellis, D-Rob, Hobson, Barton, Rhodes. Everybody else was acquired or elevated to starter on his watch.

Note that the GOOD starters on the Jets with the exception of Mangold, Cotchery, Revis and Harris are all in the holdover starters from the old regime.

The Jets have just done a terrible job of putting talent on the field since 2004. It shows.

10. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Ugh.

We need 3 new players on the O-line, need 3 new receivers, a new tight end, new running back, new full back, new quarterback - Clemens needs legitimate competition, new nose tackle, new defensive ends, new outside linebackers, new CB and a new safety.

Then we'll have a chance to compete.

Elam, Poteat, Thomas, Hobson, Ellis, K.Coleman, Robertson, Mosely, Pouha, Kassel, Chatham, de Vito, T.Jones, Clarke, Montgomery, A.Jones, Clement, Moore, Cotchery, Smith, McCareins, Wright, Baker, Kowaleski, Pociask and a lot of others just aren't championship calibre players.

11. m123456

m123456 New Member

just curious what did they do to suddenly have a decent defense? if they'd been playing like that we'd at least be...5 and 5ish?

btw, pennington I think would've played as well or better, still I like seeing clemens throw with some zest.

12. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

It may only get worse. Imagine were the Dolphins only win this year?

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Agreed, a 24-21 loss to the Dolphins would be much more upsetting than the 34-3 loss today.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It is what it is. I'm saying at least 4 more years before we even become competitive if then...

15. Im FAR from an optimist at this stage.I'm so god damn sick of the losing and thinking we're never gonna win a championship it's not even funny. If I have to read one more Patriots fan subtlely trying to make us all feel like shit and further his ego, and I'm gonna puke.

W/ that said, I think the doom and gloom is going WAY overboard at this point. This team certainly has holes...but there are 2 things that need to be kept heavily in mind.

1. We have quality young players who fit what the regime wants at basically every aspect of the team :

OL- Brick and Mangold
    QB- KC
    RB- Jones and Washington
    WR- Cotchery and Smith
    LB- Harris
    CB- Revis
    S- Rhodes

Those are players in every corps that we can build around to create quality personell on the field. If we can add a young quality DL who fits the scheme, the building blocks are certainly in place to make our roster solid if not elite.

2. This CS has shown that they can create a team that overachieves. All of last season we overachieved to a 10-6 record w/ a subpar roster. This year, we overachieved to a win over a very good pittsburgh team and have been in almost every game we've played, while STILL overmatched. W/ a few more personell moves this offseason, improved line play and better depth...this team is 8-8 or better...and w/ young player development and coach development for that matter...we're moving towards playoff and championship contention.

Rome wasnt built in a day...and right it feels more like Brownsville Brooklyn...but some of the peices are in place..w/ more on the way. Give it time.

16. sabu75

sabu75 New Member

i dont think it is as bad as you guys are making it.this team is coming off a very physical game vs the steelers.and on 4 days rest.dallas clearly won the time of possession battle,keeping the defense on the field virtually the whole game.the #1 receiver was out,the#2 was double covered,and they knew the passing game was weak, so they keyed on stopping the running game.i expect upgrades on the offensive and defensive lines in the offseason,with maybe a receiver and a linebacker/pass rusher.

17. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Yeah the cs and fo dont get off the hook for the team they have assembled over two off seasons. The OL sucks, and they forgot all about it after drafting two guys two years ago. They aint no geniuses.

18. Beamen

Beamen New Member

You and I have been of this opinion for a while, and the Steelers' game last week did not change a thing, not did today's game....

While I'll be whole heartedly rooting for this team the rest of the season, the worst thing that could happen is for them to squeak out 2 or 3 more wins, en route to a 4-12 or 5-11 finish, and the prolonging of this downward spiral....

19. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

Ok so we don't get the 1st PICK overall, that will belong to the Dolphins, HANDS DOWN.

We get the 2nd or 3rd pick overall ok either way, neither pick will make much of a difference until we BEEF up our OFFENSIVE and DEFENSIVE lines.

This team needs HELP its way too small on BOTH lines, we need a BIG PLAY receiver, someone on the other side of Revis who can cover like Revis can, I think he did a commendable job against T.O.

I'M SURE, Penny and Vilma's days as JETS are over.

Harris is THE MAN, but even he cannot do it by himself, we need a RT and 2 BIG GUARDS who can push the pile, an OLB who can play sideline to sideline and rush the passer ala Adelius Thomas.

This team got PIMP SLAPPED today and I sat there and watched with AMUSEMENT as it happened.

Our D held on for 3 quarters and then BUCKLED.

One pick is not gonna change the fortunes of this team, we need a STRONG FA period and a STRONG draft to turn this team into a playoff contender and BETTER play calling by Mangini and the rest of the CS to get this team over the hump.

This was worse than the ass whuppin' we took from the GAYtriots the 1st game of the season, I really do not think 1 or 2 places in the draft standings is going to help us.

Just my honest opinion

20. baamf

baamf Active Member

Happy Thanksgiving to you all......

God Bless