Clemens Praise

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Obviously you misread something.. They didn't play well against New England, nobody does.... That's why their stats are skewed...

Again, in 9 games where the opponent is NOT New England, 15.67 points per game... #2 in the NFL

As much as it must kill you to say that our young QB is progressing nicely against very good defenses, it is very foolish to try to deny the caliber of these defenses...

#101 Beamen, Nov 19, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. Greatful Jethead

Greatful Jethead New Member

Sorry I meant to say Leon not Houston. Naw not convinced we will see. I am glad we won and you are right there were a lot of positives. But I am not seeing this great big improvement you sre

3. Beamen

Beamen New Member

No need to be convinced yet, of anything... It's only been three starts....

But seeing as how many, many young QBs struggle out of the gate, and Kellen has played like an okay starter in 3 starts against good defenses, the signs are pointing up...

I'm not going to anoint him yet, but I am certainly going to acknowledge his progression, and be cautiously optimistic moving forward

4. Greatful Jethead

Ok I am with ya there, "cautiously optimistic". With an emphasis on Cautiously!.. What can I say I have been a Jet fan for 40 years. Optimistism comes and goes faster than Belichick bein a Jet head coach...On a side note isnt Woodstock near Coxsackie NY. I got a ticket goin up to SUNY Albany doin a 120. And cop let me go. Always thought it had to be tough tellin people you were from Coxsackie...But then again arent we all..LOL

5. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Ha, I lived in Coxsackie for about a year.... Locals tend to pronounce it more like "Cucksackie" so it doesn't seem as awful.... I actually live in Queens now though, haven't updated the location since I joined the site....

6. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Because every QB that plays above average, when every other QB plays below average against the best D in the league, always ends up on the sofa eating potato chips watching his former team in the next season :rolleyes:

7. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Clemens faced the top D and faced it in a crowd in which was 80% Steelers fans and fans that yelled at the top of their lungs when Clemens was trying to rally in an effort to throw his groove off.

The fact that he handled such a burden like that shows me the poise and makeup of him.

Clemens MAY just be the best QUARTERBACK of his class. Hes not as explosive as Young or as accurate as Leinart or as physically gifted as Cutler but he has a mix of all 3 as you guys have seen and that is simply amazing to find.

He has a fairly good arm just not as powerful as Cutler's. He can be accurate when throwing in short range, just not as efficient as Leinart. He can scramble and use his feet, just not as explosive as Young.

Merril Hoge may just be damn right.......And I dont say that often. He watches the gametape though and sees what KC brings to the table, its that mix of all 3 plus the ability to drive a not so talented team to potentially win games.

8. allan1

allan1 Active Member

He was making his 3rd career start playing against the toughest defense in the NFL!

Sure he was mediocre for most of the game, but came up big when it counts. Elway used to do that, so did McNair. Clemens led us down the field and threw what should've been a game winning TD pass to Smith. So he dropped it, we won in OT anyway.

Does Chad lead us down the field against that defense? Does he make that scramble or just eat the football in another agonizing coverage sack?

9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

You also didn't answer my question.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Where do you guys come up w/ this nonsense? had Chad started I would have said the same things, bad all game but came through on the final drive to tie the game.

The last drive was great but the guy was awful all game long. I'd rather be bad all game and end the way he did than good all game and end badly. i was a good step to finish off a late win but he was absoltely dreadful for 57 minutes. Minus the one big pass play where he had a wide open coles thanks to a trick play(and still underthrew him which did lead to Coles getting hurt- where are the guys blaming KC for Coles' injury?) he was awful until the final drive of regulation. He took a nice step w/ that tying drive but he hasn't performed any better than Chad, we won on Sunday b/c our D showed up. if our D played like that all year we'd be 7-3 at worst.

As far as D goes, if he wasn't awful for over 3 qtrs against Bal and Pitt then maybe we wouldn't have needed OT at all. You blame others for dropping passes but he did nothing in Bal for 3+ qtrs then was awful for over 3 qtrs on Sunday. Why doesn't KC get some balme? why is it all on receivers for dropping a pass or 2? By the way, the only real good D he faced was Pitt. Bal and Wash are mediocre.

He was w/o his #1 WR against Pitt b/c he underthrew him on a deep ball.

The problem is NE was on their sched. Our D didn't play as badly against NE. Wash has a mid of the road D not a to D just like Baltimore. Wash did allow a dead giant team at th time to score 24 2nd half points and jumpstart their season, they gave up 20 to us, 33 to Philly, 28 to allas. In the last 4 games they are giving up 33 a game.

Just pretend we are talking about Chad then the excuses about opposing D's an dropped passes will stop.

11. Greatful Jethead

Judges give that round to the Tarheels man

12. mgjetman

mgjetman New Member

IMO Kellen C appears to look pretty good considering he has only faced top notch defences, and I like the way when he is flushed out of the pocket the play is still alive kind of like Tont Romo only with not near as good as offenceive line or recievers.
    All in all it will be nice knowing what he can do before going into the offseason but some of you fellas are being brutal on KC even when these Defences are throwing everything in the book at him. Not to mention the CHEAP SHOTS hopeing they can get that softball pitcher #10 back in.

13. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

#10 would have folded like a Deck of Cards!

14. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Now, now U are going to get marked in this forum as a CP hater with posts like that. It certainly is a pleasure to see the ball moving down the field or to the sidelines with plently of zip on it now. OTH KC also appears to have a nice touch when the fast ball is not needed. He also appears to have that so called quick release ala a QB from the 60s that will get U out of trouble most of the time. Now all we need is game breaking WRs to compliment that arm & we may finally be building something for the future.

15. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I hope Tangini is reading this post right now! How about a JV for Chad Johnson trade!

16. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I'm too high to go back and reaad all the posts, but I just wanted to include what i think are Clemen's best strengths: his composure and his quick release. I mean, Phils Simms noted it: he flung it forty yards on a rope without his feet set. That's hardcore. But it's the composure which is going to be crucial to allowing his talents to take over. I couldn't be more excited. I'd like better accuracy and I'd like him to set his feet more, but I was very excited all game, even when the offense was doing nothing.

He was smart, but with him it's not a euphemism for conservative.

17. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Junc, i don't think you've ever called Chad "awful" or "atrocious."

18. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Where do we come up with this nonsense?..come on Junc...you have blamed everything from the offensive line...no running game....you have defended the guy even after his worst games. Saying "Yeah...Chad made a mistake but" doesnt mean you gave an honest opinion on his performances.

As far as KC....I thought he was pretty good...not great...the future? who knows...but I will tell you this...only with blind love could anyone say that KC gave the receivers a chance to do something with the ball compared to Chad.

Yes he underthrew Coles...hes a kid..and when a guy is wide open like that the one thing you do not want to do is overthrow a guy. Big deal. I do believe Mr Coles would take the leg tackle hit that caused that injury over the lollipop passes that got him and every other receiver creamed over the last 5 years. Thats not being honest if you believe Chads historic (perhaps the weakest throwing qb ever) NFL weak arm didnt put his receivers out on a limb too many times.

Using the word "awful" to describe a performance statisically we have grown accustomed to over the last 5 years shows there really isnt a point in debating this with you because the glasses you wear are too filled with roses buddy.

I say that with the utmost respect.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Check the archives, i'm pretty sure I have.

I have been very critical of Chad, i even agreed weeks before it happened that it was time for a change BUT as we can clearly see now(and some of us saw then) this was not mostly Chad's fault. That was my whole point in the Chad debates, he was playing well at times and poorly at times but he wasn't getting any help from his D and Clemens got that sunday. he did have dropped passes and he is better moving in the pocket so the OL mistakes aren't as glaring but KC has not played any better than Chad did.

arm strength is not everything, we won w/ Chad until this year and Chad's always had a weak arm but he threw a perfect strike to coles at Cincy- he could throw it deep but that isn't what the offensese he's played in have been about. he took what defense gave him, he played hurt, he was and is a class act and I will alwas appreciate that. I will rootlike heck for KC, i can almost assure you 2-3 years from now when our next flavor of the month is drafted I'll defend KC over the next guy. I'm loyal and when gys perform i appreciate it and I'll defend them.

we have grown accustomed to #s like that over the last 5 years? what games were you watching? KC completed 45 % of his passes, how many games did Chad do that? KC had a 1 to 1 TD to INT ratio- how many times did Chad do that? his ratng was 58.8- how many times was Chad's rating that low? so far this year KC is a 50% passer w/ a 59.2 rating throwing 2 TDs and 4 INTs, Chad's low seasons he was a 63.6 % passer, 70.9 rating and +1 TD to INT. How are we accustomed to KC's #s?

20. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Hes a kid Junc....hes playing in his first 3 games in the NFL and you want to compare him to a 30 something qb? I dont get where youi are going..or perhaps I do.

The bottom line is this...who would you prefer to lead your 2-8 Jets. You answered the question already. Its KC. At least those that knock Chad will easlily admit that we have no idea if KC is the answer.

We are just positive that the NFL caught up with Chads dinks and dunks. Just ask yourself this....how the hell does a qb complete almost 70% of his passes and not be able to put points on the board. How can a qb complete almost 70%...70%..of his passes and have such a miserable time moving the ball down the field.

The answer is simple...he took what teams gave him because he couldnt do anything else. He played right into the the traps team set up for him by not either having the ability to stretch a defense..or the balls.

Im not sure which one it is but either option truly sucks...no?

70% of his passes...which is the reason I will always stick with my theory that Chad Pennington has one of the weakest arms of any qb to ever play in the NFL.

Now that doesnt mean much to you...I understand that...but it means a lot to most people that follow the game.