Clemens Praise

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Nov 19, 2007.

1. EarlytoRise

EarlytoRise Member

K. Clemens 14/31 162 1td 1int
    P. Manning 16/32 163 0td 1int

Total Defense (YPG)
    1. Pittsburgh Steelers 229.4
    14. Kansas City Chiefs 322.2

Passing (YPG)
    1. Pittsburgh Steelers 157.4
    18. Kansas City Chiefs 213.3

Rushing (YPG)
    1. Pittsburgh Steelers 72.0
    17. Kansas City Chiefs 108.9

KC > PM haha j/k. KC played very well against the #1 D mostly sans Coles. If he can show this kind of poise and leadership for the rest of the season then we can go into the offseason with confidence in the QB position. That is all you can ask for at this point.

2. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

At the end of the day Kellen beat the Best Defense in Football. END OF STORY! This is the best team we beat in the last two years unless you want to count the Muddbowl in Ne last year.

3. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

He did well. I agree.

4. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

you are right that KC is a work in progress. Lets face it, his arm strength gives us a dimension that we have not seen in a long time. He faced the best defense in the league and did an admirable job in light of the constant pressure. I'm not sure what more you wanted from the guy especially in light that he didn't have a legit deep threat once coles was out.

5. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Meh...I am not that impressed. Great win though.

6. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

You guys are brutal. the guy doesn't even have a half year under his belt. his throws will get better as he gets more reps with his receivers. You guys keep looking at CPs high percentage of throws but lets not forget they were 5 yard passes.

7. KSJets

KSJets New Member

I'm a huge Pennington fan, and Clemens' accuracy hopefully, and probably, will improve with time. I haven't been impressed with his accuracy yet, but there are a lot of circumstances resulting in the low %. All of that said, if he only complete 30% of his passes but still leads us to a victory, I could care less about that completion percentage :)

8. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Can we wait and see if we really have our QB of the future after he plays out the string of remaining games. He looked poised against a tough D. He looked fairly poised against Baltimore and the 'skins. At this point I expect that. However, he hardly had a great game yesterday, but the team particularly the O-line and the Defense finally played well enough for us to win a game. At this point that is good enough. But let's not rush to praise him just yet. It is Just three games

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Clemens is bad ass. Remember in the redzone he threw it right into a Steelers hands, but it was thrown so hard it went right threw his hands? Good times.

Clemens' accuracy will improve, incase you guys didn't know, he has only played against the Ravens D, Redskins D, and Steelers D. All tough.

10. LWC611

LWC611 Member

I am not sure that almost throwing a pick makes one bad ass. But the Kid has an arm...

11. FOURTHANDLONG

I think alot of people don't realize that with the exception of the Patriots he played in the toughest three games we had all season and gave us a chance to win each time.

12. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Junc..if anyone should have appreciated this game it should be you.

He was Chad Pennington but with an NFL arm. His "high throws" were the same as Chads..only difference was that the receivers were still able to get up after the play because the ball got there days faster.

I thought he was ok...ok against one of the better defenses in the league. What happened to the sucky offensive line argument Junc?

If Pennington was the qb today you would have praised his ability to "just win the game".

The only real difference is a qb with a nfl strength arm....a decade in age....and some millions in salary...other then that I would agree with your opinion.

13. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I really disagree with those who say Kellen didnt play well. He has the arm , thats plain to see. He has an excellent pocket pressence (no happy feet). He is not taking the little three yard check down routes(trying to make something happen). When it counted he came through ! All in all a Good Jets win against a top ranked opponent.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He looks hot and cold to me. Streaky, but young QBs can be like that.

On the final drive he was very good. Before that in the second half the Jets passing game was not clicking. I do feel he missed some open receivers. Badly overthrowing J-mac in one instance.

His pocket presence and ability to gain yards on the ground is where he excels. He has a good arm. He can make the throws and when nothing is open usually makes the right decision. I like how he handlled him self yesterday.

I think he could be very good. I'm just not ready to give him the full stamp of approval on a few good showings. I like the things he has done so far, but see a few things he needs to improve upon.

15. JIMsection323

JIMsection323 New Member

The problem with threads is people lose track of why they started. The reason i mentioned his STATS not RATING, was because the thread starter prasied hes game yesterday. All i attempted to do was state that he shouldnt be praised for playing a below average game. The praise should goto the D.

16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Can't people ever be happy about anything? His 'below average game', does that include Brad Smith's 'below average catch' in the EZ? Clemens made a a couple of bonehead plays, but what do you expect this far into his career? Overall, his performance was fine by me, and all I can hope for is that his accuracy and decision making will improve with time. I think it will. He tried to make something happen by trying to score himself and it almost cost us dearly. I think he'll grow out of heroics, and settle in.

[​IMG]

For some odd reason, every time I see Clemens, the image that immediately comes to mind is 'Roman Emperor'. Not Hadrian, though. He sucked. Someone Photoshop a laurel leaf crown on his head and make my day, will you.

17. FOURTHANDLONG

You do realize we played against the best defense in football? You do realize our Oline is below avg, Our receivers did nothing and this is his third start as well right? He should be praised because he played a below avg game and won. Our previous Qb needed to play his best game and have every other player on the team do so in order for us to have a shot at winning. CLemens played below avg and was still able to lead us on a game tying drive which could have ended on a Gw T/d If Stone handed Smith would have caught the ball! Winning when you don't play your best is better than what we had under Center for the last five years! You do realize that this is the best team we have beat in two years don't you?

18. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Everything is relative. If this were Kellen's 4th year as a starter rather than his 4th game I would be much more critical. If Kellen had a whole training camp as the #1 guy with an entire offense designed around his strengths I would be much more critical. If Chad were successfully leading our offense to score a healthy amount of points before Kellen took over then I would be much more critical.

But since none of the above are true I have to look at his performance and heap praise upon him not because of his statline. That isn't what I am basing my praise on. What I look at his poise and ability to manage a game. I mean those who are criticizing Kellen for only performing avg to below avg(against the #1 defense) - aren't you just amazed at how comfortable he looks already in just his 4th start? I really haven't seen him make a play yet that looked like a truly bone headed "wow you have a lot to learn junior" type play.

For this reason plus his obvious above average QB skill set - I am very pleased with his play and development so far. For me the question has already been answered - barring a big regression/injury we have found our QB. Now it's just the fun of watching him grow into his potential.

19. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Bingo...agree 100%

20. JETFAN stranded in DC

If Chuck Norris played WR Clemens could out throw him!