Why we shouldn't draft McFadden

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Nov 7, 2007.

1. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Banned

Fine, whether Dallas trades next year's #1, w/e, the key will be who finishes with that #3 pick ("the McFadden pick"). Right now it's critical that SF lose to St. Louis this Sunday, if that happens, then that #3 pick simply comes down to the Pats and Jets. Some people actually want the Pats to play their 2cond string against the Jets in Foxboro to guarantee that we're picking in front of the Jets.

2. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

McFadden is a little overrated he hasn't been great this year and he won't solve our problems of having a JV sized lines in the NFL. We will never be able to compete with NE or the upper echelon teams until we fix this.

3. He's had several 100 yard performances on a subpar team w/ a rough schedule.

Yes, the lines need to be addressed...but we are in no position w/ a top 5 pick...to not take a BPA approach. McFadden is the best player in the upcoming draft w/o question.

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I was just watching one of the McFadden videos on YouTube and the last thing I heard him say before I closed the window was "I feel like I let a whole lotta people down".

I am now convinced that it is his destiny to become a New York Jet.

5. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

why wouldnt mcfadden be a #1 pick?

6. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Banned

He very well might be, but Miami will have to trade down because with Ronnie Brown, obviously they're not going to take him.

7. LWC611

LWC611 Member

That is a good point. There is a real possibility that he wont be there for us at 3 or 4. At that point we should probably pick the best lineman available.

8. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Why was R. Bush not picked #1? Players slide all the time, and besides Mcfadden may not have the best year this year, or may not do well at the combine etc...

Anyway, there is no way in hell Mangini will allow a RB to be picked with the #1 pick. Mangini will do what he was taught by Bill B and Bill P. He will build the team from the trenches out and grab the players he thinks will help bring the team to where he wants it to be in his "5 year plan." Picking a RB right now with #1 goes against that and it goes against what Mangini was taught. Skill positions are picked that high when your team already has both lines in a very solid state playing at a very high level. At that point (ala Indi and NE) the team starts looking at skill positions with high picks. It takes YEARS to do this.

I have no idea how any of you can argue this. Mcfadden will not be able to run well behind a line like we have now. And Kellen will not have the protection and tools he will need without both lines getting a lot of work in the upcoming offseason. Waiting until later rounds to fill those needs is a risk that I bet Mangini is not willing to take. He will not roll the dice when his offense can not run the ball and protect the QB and when the Dline can not rush the QB or stop even the lamest of RBs in the league.

Wake up and start looking at the big picture already. It is the SYSTEM that makes a team run the ball well. Not any one player. Especially a rookie RB. We have some basic necessities that need to be fixed before we look at other positions. Yes even is it is the 'BPA'.

#228 fake_crs, Nov 14, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Then he'll be a great fit in green and white.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Right now, Jonathan Stewart has a chance to surpass McFadden as the top running back, but I don't think he'll do that. Both of these guys are capable of being dominant backs in the NFL.

11. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Bush was not picked number 1 because imo the texans GM was an idiot!!!! He was the most dynamic player and without a doubt the best player avaible with the first pick. With respect to building up the trenches, why did we trade up for a corner and a LB last year. We needed help on the lines especaily D-line going into last years draft. Hopefully you are right and we do focus on the lines this year.

12. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

ok, i?m usually on your side: build the lines, and everything will turn out well.

but this is a little different. The only O-Lineman that is worth picking in the top 20 is a LT, we already got our franchise tackle, so it would be very stupid to go O-Line in the first (we can get the #1 or #2 G or RT in the draft with our 2nd rounder).

that leaves us with going for a D-Lineman, but there simply is noone, that we could pick, there?s no top 10 talent, that fits our sceme. Long is undersized to be 34 DE in the NFL and dorsey is undersized to play NT. Dorsey might become a great 34 DE, but finding that out with a top 3 pick is waaaaaaaaay to risky, and if the Rams pick ahead of us, we won?t have to worry about him, anyway.

That mean?s picking need is probably impossible, even if we would be willing to reach some spots. The only smart alternative is going BPA.

it?s that simple

13. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Do you think B and B taught him to Rat out other coaches with Spy gate?B& B with both sign so called bad Character Guys if they will help them win. Mangini will not. Mangini is his own man and he will do what is best for his football team. Once again please explain why the first pick has to be a lineman. Why can't the next five picks be used on the line. Mangini does not have five years in this town. If the team does not show promise by late 2008 he will be run out of town in 2009! Your telling me you would draft a lineman that did not fit our scheme or even worse pick somebody ten places two high in the first rd because you need Linemen when you can pick a lineman that can fit your scheme in the second round and beyond. Where is the first 3-4 Dt ranked in this draft. Your gonna tell me a Ot is worth the second top five pick in four years? What about the F/A period this year. Won't some of this be addressed via free agency as well. Please explain why the FIRST pick has to be a lineman.

14. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

To be honest I think the debate is worthless at this time. we don't know who is going to be there for us in FA and even closer to us than FA is the fact that don't know when we are going to pick in this April's draft. I expect we will pick top 5 as most on the board do. Honestly I hope to God Mcfadden isn't there for us, because I think he is being over-rated because of what Peterson has done his rookie year. People expect Mcfadden will do that. I do not believe that Mcfadden is as good as Peterson, much less have this much impact. I think Mcfadden will never live up to his top 5 billing. he will be an above average runner in this league, but not great. Seeing as how Jets fans are ready to kill some of their Above Average guys for not being superstars I don't think they would ever forgive mcfadden.

15. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

Could a moderator please move this discussion to the draft forum?

16. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I think that's a complete exaggeration. The o-line really isn't nearly that bad. Like I said TJones' 3.8 YPC isn't that bad, and that's up from the low 3's early in the season. Obviously the o-line isn't nearly as bad as you make them out to be.

17. MikeSLTJ23

Why? This is talk about what will help the Jets most.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

3.8 YPC average isn't that good either.

We simply can't count on moving the chains or getting that rushing TD when we really need it. Last year (when we had Kendall), everyone blamed the running backs. This year we added Thomas Jones. The OL is out of excuses for a mediocre performance at best.

The O-Line is every bit as bad as I said and Clements is not getting any younger.

19. MikeSLTJ23

3.8 isn't awful. I never said it was good, but it's certainly not awful. You make it sound like the o-line is awful. They're probably an average o-line. And I think you're being grossly unfair to them. Jones doesn't make anything happen on his own. He takes what the o-line gives. He doesn't create on his own. Clearly, I'm in no way glorifying what the o-line has done, but you're vastly underrating what they have done. They're not really that bad. There's bigger holes there than at RB, but McFadden is much more talented than Jones, big enough for me to say fix the o-line later in the draft.

20. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

Please folks....I don't want to come across as a hater of this guy, BUT....McFadden just doesn't have "IT".....you know, ....the thing that separates the men from the boys...the ability to STEP UP in big games (see TN last week ) He's an extremely talented dude, but as I've stated in previous posts, he IS NOT worth OUR first round pick, as we ALREADY have a very talented pool of running backs, wide recievers, tight ends, and 2 VERY capable quarterbacks. AGAIN, we need to concentrate on the LINES and on defense. I think we can cut this "5 year plan " down to about 2 and ahalf (and we're ALREADY in year 2 ) if we deal wisely in free agency and DON'T jump on the BPA......just my opinion......