Why we shouldn't draft McFadden

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Nov 7, 2007.

1. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Man I hope we do not draft a RB with the first pick. What is he going to run behind? Our line gets pushed backwards on every snap. Why wait until later rounds to fix the positions that actually need fixing? Why wait until other teams grab the needed positions that WE need?

It does not matter who you put back there, our running game will suck ass. When was the last SB team who picked a RB with their first pick? What SB team had a great RB with a piss poor Oline? Look at teams like Denver(in recent years not this year). It is their Oline that had made them a great running team. The backs were just plugged into the system. With a good system we could do the same. But you can NOT plug a good back into a bad system and expect a good running game. It simply does not work that way.

And if you think for ONE SECOND that good linemen will be available in rounds 3 and 4 then you are completely delusional. They will be snapped up by teams San Fran, Kansan City, and Miami.

These threads are really useless anyway. Mangini will NOT be grabbing Mcbfadden with the first pick in the draft for the Jets. He will do what he was taught and build the lines up with the best available LINEMAN which they need despirately. The chances of Mangini picking a RB this year with the first pick are ZILCH! I suggest you move on, get over it, and start understanding that this is a 5 year ordeal to build this team from the ground up. Not a plug a great RB in to a piss poor surrounding cast and were done type.

Start being just a bit realistic.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

cough The Indianapolis Colts cough

3. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

So your saying we should pass on a possible Franchise Rb and draft an Offensive lineman with a top five pick? Draft a defensive player who does not fit in our scheme because we need them? Your going to tell me Offensive Linemen can not be had in the 3rd or fourth Round? Are you kidding me or what? The Vikings had Chester Taylor and took Adrian Peterson how did that turn out? We need multiple players and this will take years to fix. We need the BPA! What is wrong with using our second or third round pick on a Lineman?

4. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

You can find lineman in the later rounds (ex. Marcus McNeil). You can't pass up on McFadden.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

McNeil was a 2nd rounder...that isn't necessarily a "later" round. When people think of later rounds, they think of second day picks.

In the 2nd round, and even the 3rd, you can still find a lot of talent and a lot of those picks start in their first seasons.

6. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

"The Vikings had Chester Taylor and took Adrian Peterson how did that turn out??"

Turned out that Peterson tore a MCL and will miss significant time.

Yes, I am saying that with the MASSIVE HOLES WE HAVE on defense and offense we can not wait until later rounds to fill these needs with players who may or may not be there. And YES we can pass on the latest RB craze in the draft this year in order to put talent where we need it. It would be a MAJOR mistake if we ended up with Mcfadden but we were not able to shore up our lines on both sides of the ball. The rookie RB will NOT look like you think he will behind a terrible Oline! What part of that do you not understand? It is not worth risking what actaully NEEDS to be done over a rookie skill player who we dont NEED. Most great RBs who are on great teams are products of the great SYSTEM which they are in.

Mangini will not pick this player with the first pick. I know it, HE knows it, and even YOU know it. Stop wasting your breath.

7. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

what do you think of McFadden behind a fixed, improved Jets OL? it seems you haven't mentioned that, only that he would be running behind a bad OL.

8. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

You have reasonable points, but you have to understand this. First off, no one knows what Mangini is going to do. You don't. I don't. I bet he doesn't even. So you're wasting your own time filling up your post with that nonsense.

Secondly, the offensive line is not that bad. Thomas Jones takes what the offensive line gives him. He's not a running back that really makes things happen on his own. He'll make one cut and he's through whatever hole the offensive line provides. That's great if you have an offensive line that can create big holes for him to run through but we don't. Still, he's averaging 3.8 yds per carry. Hardly something to sneeze at. Put McFadden back there, who's more than a one trick pony, and you're looking at a productive back behind our offensive line.

Keep in mind that our line is still gelling and there's a couple of spots that need upgrading, but we're well on our way to building a very good o-line behind D'Brick and Nick. They're not dominant run blockers yet, but they're definitely getting there, and Jones' YPC going up through the course of the year is proof of this.

I have nothing against Jones. I think he's a productive back. But this o-line is definitely on its way to becoming a good one and we have a chance to upgrade our RB situation considerably. We can find talent for the o-line that can boost our running game, but we can't find a talent like McFadden anywhere outside of the top few picks of the upcoming draft. Bad teams don't pass on those kinds of players. You can't afford to. If you do, then good teams are going to snag them up and only get better. If we pass on the BPA, and all the other bad teams pass on the BPA, don't you think that a good team landing the BPA is just a recipe for disaster? Especially if that team happens to be the Pats.

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Are we talking about the OL that does no run blocking or the OL that almost got Penny killed in week two?

Aside from two bright spots (D'Brick and Mangold), our OL completely sucks.

10. FOURTHANDLONG

Is there something wrong with taking offensive Linemen in the second through fifth round as opposed to letting a possible Franchise player get away? Do you want to take a Dt or De that is not a 3-4 player just because we need one with the pick? Do you want to take a Offensive lineman with our number one pick once again. Difference makers come with high picks. We can find linemen through out the draft. We are rebuilding and it will take years for anyone to look good on our team! Just because we draft him does not mean he has to get the bulk of the carries from day 1. You would pass on a stud to reach for a player who is not even projected to go as high. Nobody is going to give us their draft to come up for a Qb because there are alot of them coming out this year so the trade down Theory probably won't work. Once again we will let our Emmit Smith or Warren Sapp pass us by because we draft need over talent!

11. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

I agree that a lineman is a much bigger need than a RB, but which lineman? Help me out here because I don't see any linemen in the draft class worth a top 5 pick. Possibly Jake Long, but he is going to be one expensive RT then. Or should we trade our pick to Dallas for peanuts?

12. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

1st down - run Thomas Jones for 2 yards.
    2nd down - run McFadden for 2 yards -since he's a superstar, make it 3 yards
    3rd down - screen to leon for -4 yards
    4th down - kick

trade down, accumulate picks for higher end fat bodies on both sides of line.

13. Yeah..b/c there is NO WAY we can get better on both lines if we take Mcfadden..:breakdance:

14. FOURTHANDLONG

Who is going to mortgage their draft to come up to us?

15. FOURTHANDLONG

So if we draft linemen with the next four picks we won't get better? Only a first rd lineman will make us better?

16. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

if we end up with a top 3 pick, trading down is highly unlikely.

give me one team that would trade up into the top 3 and give us the right value to do so. only 1!

17. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Banned

One problem with the scenario is the following:

The Jets are going to end up with the 4th pick, because the Pats will get the 3rd pick. SF might win only one more game the rest of the way and I see the Jets winning 2.

Pats sitting at #3 will definately trade out of that spot and as you mentioned, the most likely trading partner would be Dallas. Pats grab Laurenaitius with that Browns pick and then grab Mike Jenkins (CB) from S Florida with Dallas's 2cond #1. Plus the Pats still have their 2cond round pick as well as 2 - 3rd round picks (one is Oaklands' - basically another 2cond). And as they say, the rich just get richer.

18. Yep...

Keep on pouring sugar in our gas tanks and screwing our GF's..

You cant be satisfied w/ just ruining our season..you have to make the draft miserable for us as well...

Someone tell me where the justice in sports went?

19. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

ok, i?m gonna allege this even to a patsfan: Dallas will end up with two picks in the twenties, maybe even one in the thirties, if they would want to trade up, they would have to give up their entire Draft plus their next year?s first (maybe second) rounder. NO WAY THEY?RE THAT STUPID!!!

i did some math on trading down from #3 here: http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=26925

@all patsies: if you come here to annoy us, at least bring some knowlege!!!

20. FOURTHANDLONG

What would Dallas pick?