Reasonable Off-season moves

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JCotchrocket, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Because he would cost at least 40 million dollars where we will be picking. Add that to a team who has already committed 20 million to Jones and you have 60 million invested in RBs when you still can't stop the run, rush the passer or open holes for those 60 million dollar RBs standing on the sidelines. That's why you CAN'T draft him.

2. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Over 7 years. It's not 60million in the next two or three. Why is it going to be Jones and Mcfadden or a Dline??? Why??? How about we trade or cut Jones??? How about we use our other picks to draft Linemen. Or use some players we no longer want or need to get picks??? Why is it 60 million dollars or a Dline???

Commish says we are 16 million under the cap and Im sure with cuts and trades we could double that number, so why can't the jets set them selves up for the future at running back by having Jones and Mcfadden on the team for at most a season????? They can and they should.

3. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Why tie up lets say a hundred million at DT with two guys robertson and Dorsey neither of which fit our D.

4. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

I like signing Faneca.............I DON'T like drafting Mcfadden...sorry folks but as an SEC fan, he just doesn't come across as a GAME BREAKER...I KNOW he has the numbers, but the press keeps trying to make him the next BO Jackson, and it just AINT THERE folks.....dude is GOOD , but he ain't THAT good..........IMO not worth our 1st pick...BESIDES we are already set at RB with Jones and Washington

5. BleedGreen4ever

Ok biggest offseason moves: sign Haynesworth
    Trade Vilma to the Bengals for their 2nd rounder
    Draft McFadden #3
    Take our two seconds and trade up to 15 overall and take groves
    may sound like im on acid but it could happen

6. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

As much as I (and everyone else in the world) like McFadden, I don't think anyone will be laying the label of "devastating" on this offense. We're not morphing into the 2000 Rams or even the 2004 Chiefs any time soon.

7. Sundayjack

Left out a couple steps, though. First, we have to take Mike Brown out stuff about 20 shots of Patron down his throat, and I really, really do think that we might need to invest in a half-dozen hookers, a cameraman, and a lighting guy. Then, someone's going to need to sneak into his house and change all his clocks so that he'll be late for the 2008 draft. Finally, we're going to need a couple of Sharpies and an art student with no friends or family, and 10 horsepower wood chipper.

Now, the key to this plan is Brown, of course. We need that guy absolutely stupid-drunk. Otherwise, we'll never convince him to give up a second round pick for an injured linebacker. As insurance, just in case the tequila doesn't do it, we'll need photos of him draped in whores. Someone's going to need to make sure the guy stays fluffed, or we'll never pull this off. Realism is crucial to the plan. Then, to the art student. This is our cover story. He or she is going to need to doctor those latest MRI's to look like nothing more than a minor "owie" or "boo-boo", and then they're going to need to go right into the wood chipper.

We can definitely pull this off.

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

glad most of you folks are not GM's.......

the NT/DT is very difficult for a rookie to make an impact. even a 2-3 year player is going to have issues.

that being said - a team is NOT going to spend a top 10 pick on a NT - unless you have a serviceable veteran in there AND you already have a top 10defense - neither of which the jets have.

the top premium picks (top 5) on D usually end up being a DE and OLB - guys can step in and make a difference right away usually and improve rather quickly during the 1st year. - however that works better with a 4-3 and not a 3-4 so the jets have a disadvantage built in already with the draft.

CB is usually a little less of a premium but even that has gotten juicy with teams spending top 10 picks for them at times. - something which is beyond my reasoning but WTFDIK......

on offense the premium guys are QB, OT, RB, and WR - in that order but i ask you - do the jets have a pressing need at any one of these spots???

the jets will have a top 5 pick this year and they absolutely NEED an impact player - or players - from this pick. no question. unfortunately they do not have gaping holes at these impact spots on offense and are hampered by the 3-4 defense in selecting a hi pick, so........

it is likely they will be actively moving the pick and sink lower in R1, targeting the front seven on D and possibly the WR position......

the efficiency of the 07 draft will be old news as they stockpile picks, taking advantage of their early pick position in each round.

jil

#48 jilozzo, Nov 13, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

You are assuming of course that we dont win out :rofl2:

10. BleedGreen4ever

Do you really think it will be that hard to get a former Rookie of the Year and pro Bowler going into only his fourth year a second round pick. especially a team like the Bengals who play the 4-3 and are absolutly desperate for defense especially a middle linebacker. True it does depend on his knee injury but the guy doesn't even know what play it happened on and even finished the game. You know no more about the injury than i do, but if i recall he was decifering getting surgery because if he didn't it would help him in the short term while oing ahead with it would help him in the long run. By the way sundayjack that was way too long and stupid to even be thought of as funny, or even close to a rational argument.

11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

As Vilma is coming off of an injury, I would think that his trade value would be higher in the preseason after he has proven that he is healthy again.

On draft day, he will get less value as he will be a bigger question mark for other teams unsure of his health.

12. BleedGreen4ever

I agree, but i think there will be a team out there willing to take a chance on his talent level. But maybe not the Bengals they will have a very high pick in the second round, i just know how desperate they are for defense and the lack of depth they have at linebacker. Schlegal had to start atleast one game for them. but your right im no GM or a doctor so idk.

#52 BleedGreen4ever, Nov 13, 2007
  13. Sundayjack

Yes. He's injured, coming off surgery, and entering into the final year of his contract. You're probably a wonderful Madden player but I'm sorry, the Bengals aren't soiling themselves in excitement and lightly giving up a second round pick for Jonathan Vilma.

14. BleedGreen4ever

well it only depends on his knee because i dont think you can even question that a healthy Vilma is worth a second rounder. and both of us know nothing of his injury, including what knee it is so to try and totally discredit the possibility of a trade like this is foolish.

15. Sundayjack

Much like promoting such idiocy on this board, yet we do it each year - again and again and again. But, it seems not to matter, so have at it. Whatever we're looking to trade, I'm sure some other team will overpay for it three times real-life value. That's typically how this game works, no?

But back here on the planet earth. . . . .

16. BleedGreen4ever

so what could we get for vilma? anything less than a second and i dont think he should be traded. this guy has been the star of our defense since the day he was drafted its not like we r trading some old veteran with a bum knee. this a young star with massive potential and i suppose you would just let him go for a 4th rounder or something. Vilma has yet to hit his prime and has been excellent the only idiocy would be settling for anything less than a second rounder.

#56 BleedGreen4ever, Nov 13, 2007
  17. Sundayjack

Not my thread, not my trade proposal, and not my interest to finish other poster's thoughts. Seems like a really fun game, though - this GM Junior thing. Good luck with it.

18. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

he was saying in the paper today that he has a long rehab, so trading him may be out of the question

19. jetglass

jetglass New Member

How can can you make any criticisms about our wr's? We have 2 very good receivers right now, and in terms of starters is prob the best unit on our team. Like you said, this isnt madden so u cant have the top players at all positions on one team. Coles is a little old but still has a lot left. Cotchery is much more than a solid receiver.

20. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Here's one...like it or not, Cotchery cost us that game against Washington.