Mike Tannenbaum is happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ny2dave, Nov 6, 2007.

1. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

You continually look at every situation in a vacuum. GM's can't do that.

On page one you suggested spending the first round draft pick on Anthony Spencer/Jarvis Moss and Joe Staley. Then you mentioned the Jets should have signed Dockery. Then you mention the Jets had to make a NT appear out of thin air. Then you menion the Jets needed to get a run-stuffing DE and pass rushing LB.

I know you are aware there is a salary cap, but a GM can't just look at the next year, he has to look 3-5 years out to see if salaries are going to work. This includes the implications of cutting people (Robertson).

Again, play out all your "logic" and the Jets are way over the salary cap with more holes to fill.

2. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Tannenbaums comments just reinforce the notion that last year was just as much a surprise as it was for us fans. This is more trolubleing because of there lack of concern heading into this year with a lot of signings that didnt make much sense. They gave extentions to players I think to bolster their play this year (That hasnt worked out too well) Im not a cap guru like some on this site but the pipe piper will have to pay eventualy. Maybe they have a three year plan like most coaching staff's for sucsess? All the new faces that have started to appear in games now will be in the mix next year and hopefully they take a needed look at the o-line because we seem to have bandaids for guards and tackles.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They didn't fix ANY of their key holes headed into the season on offense or defense. That's what I'm saying. You act as though I suggested they do all of the key things they needed to do. I didn't. I suggested that they fixed NONE of them and they turned a 7-9 team into a runaway disaster instead.

You can sign all of the Andre Wadsworths that have ever existed or ever will and you haven't done anything to improve your team. The Jets FO and CS got all cutesie on us in the offseason and then they got arrogant with Kendall and we're stuck neckdeep in mud now. Another way to spell cutesie in this case is K-O-T-I-T-E.

#43 Br4d, Nov 7, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  4. Br4d

I was bitching about the draft and talking about potential collapses in April. Go look it up.

5. mkcatl

mkcatl New Member

I can't post a new topic, so i was just listening to the wfan with Joe B. and he said he heard from someone in the know with the jets that something big might happen within the next week, any ideas?

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Sutton could be gone....

7. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

will they promote from within or will someone new be arriving ?

8. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

So MLB, CB, RB weren't key holes? I understand you think they are luxury positions, but I disagree.

As I have said many times, everyone on this board addressed potential weaknesses going into the season and they all turned out as worst case scenarios.

I am perplexed by the fact that it looks like Tannebaum/Bradway are good talent evaluators when it comes to the draft, but not when it comes to existing players/free agents. Of course part of that is the money locked up in certain players (d-rob...he can't be cut and he probably would be worse at DE.)

Do you think they would have played hardball with Kendall if they didn't think that Adrian Clarke would be an adequate replacement? No, and that is proven by the fact that they re-signed Moore a week after trading Kendall.

On defense, do you think that they thought D-rob would regress and Vilma would not improve their second year in the system? No. Did they expect B.Thomas to build on his finish last season? Yes.

I agree with you that quality lines should be a priority, but there is a lot more that goes into talent acquisition than just saying, "let's go out and get the best guy availalbe."

9. Hobbes3259

Of course they did.

On Defense ....
    They brought in Coleman to play RDE...

They fixed the fact that Vilma is not suited for the 4/3, by drafting Harris....

They also helped address the secondary.

Now you have two pieces missing LOLB, and NT. There are at least 3 NT's available in the draft.

OLB, Depends...Can you get Suggs...or do you Draft Chris Long and back him off the line (6'4" 280 is about right)...

Once that happens, you can shut down the Left side of the field (Right offensive side..), which is where most offenses like to operate, and force teams to run/pass left..

On Offense

They brought in Jones, who should be good for several years,

Clemens they drafted a year ago, Now he's playing.

They tried to get a speedy slot receiver, but Stuckey re-injured the foot he broke his senior yr. at Clemson.

On this side of the ball, you're missing either a Guard or a Tackle, depending on where you see Bender fitting in. Personally I think Brandon Moore should be gone as well, but they like him for some reason.

(go back and look at the tape of the end around to the right side in sundays game. Moore just meanders over, and misses a block that would have sprung the play for 6...)

Its a couple plays before the phantom hold on Ferguson...(3rd Qtr, late...)

10. Not to mention, this past free agency, and truthfully draft, was not exactly blooming w/ linemen we needed, that fit our scheme.

The 3-4 DL available on the market was Coleman, who we signed. As for O-linemen..the market was filled was average players who got severely overpaid by desperate teams. That's not good business.

11. Br4d

That's the market for guards right now. Everybody is getting overpaid when they hit free agency. If you don't want to do that then you must draft guards in the first to third rounds. The alternative is to be in the situation the Jets are in right now with two no talent guards and a bad offensive line as a result.

Pick your poison: sign Eric Steinbach or Derrick Dockery or draft one of the many first day guards taken this year. Do neither and you just suck.

What did we do?

What was the result?

The answer was out there but the Jets chose not to look for it. They got cutesie instead.

This offensive line with Steinbach or Dockery at LG instead of Clarke would have been 50% better than it is. Glue between Mangold and D'Brick.

#51 Br4d, Nov 7, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  12. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

LOL yeah I know the feeling.

13. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I hope that you are right. I see some disturbing parallels between 1996 and 2007. In 96 we were leading in seven of our 16 games yet won only one. And we only got blown out in a couple of the games. To me, it seems like some of the problems we're having right now don't come from lack of talent, but rather lack of coaching. Thats where I'm really worried.

14. Br4d

All of the problems that the Jets have right now come from two sources: a management team that has no experience competing at a high level in the NFL and therefore does not know what is needed to compete there, and a head coach who was woefully unprepared for the wheels to fall off this season.

Tannenbaum is an accountant. A good accountant, but an accountant nonetheless.

Mangini is a positional coach at best at this point in his career. He was a bad defensive coordinator with New England who somehow got tapped for a head coaching position anyway.

15. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Oh god please don't say that. I have high hopes for Mangini, and he doesn't come off like Kotex to me, so ......that's a terrifying thought.

16. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I wasn't calling you out specifically... if you called the great collapse good on you. Go volunteer your wisdom to the front office please. :)

17. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Okay, you are the owner, what do you do?

(Please realize that hiring Cowher means ceding personnel control to him, another rookie GM.)

18. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Who are they?

19. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

So, saying that a 3-4 cant be played well without a NT is not common sense?

that is about as common sense as it gets, imo.

Your suggestion (really JJohnson's but you seem to agree) that Sutton needs to be fired is a more drastic remedy. Not that i dont agree that we need a better DC in here, but what is so common sense about that?

Do you think that if he had a NT in the 3-4, the defense would be functioning better? Then he wouldnt have to be fired. it's common sense.

20. Hobbes3259

Bryant, Okam (my preference), and Jason Shirley, who will fall due to behavior problems at Fresno State....The kid has a minor alcohol problem, and
    can be fixed