my theory on my our WRs drop so many clemens passes....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KOWIE, Nov 5, 2007.

1. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

i think its the fact that for the last few years theyve been used to the ball floating into thier hands. now that there is actually some zip on the passes they cant handle it. just my 2 cents.

2. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same exact thing. They had more drops yesterday and the other game that Clemens started than the rest of the Chad games combined.

3. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

That's exactly the reason. I said it while at the game: the recievers just aren't ready or used to the ball being there so wuickly. They have all been conditioned to turning around and waiting an extra half-second to get their hands up.

If just a few of those drops had been caught, Clemens' stats would be MUCH better.

4. pcmodem

pcmodem Member

The receivers will definitely need a couple of weeks with KC getting all the reps before they've got the timing in their head the way they did with pennington. The good news is that I didn't see KC hitting the back of any of 'em so atleast they recognize they have to get their heads turned around cause he throws a much quicker ball.

We've dealt with CP's arm for so long, we really haven't seen our receiving core when they aren't being layed out over the middle or 5 yards deep in the flat.

5. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

They are professionals, and that catch passes from all 3 QBs all week in practice. They just dropped the ball, period. Plus, the ones that were dropped yesterday were not bullet passes.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

excuses, excuses, excuses.. The drops had nothing to do with the QB and everything to do with WRs or RBs not making plays in the big spots. Bad teams continually come up small in big spots and that is exactly what we saw with Cotch, Smith and Washington yesterday.

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No, but the receivers didnt have to run 5 yards, turn around,
    lock on the the QB, and wait for their coffee to cool,
    before the ball got there either...

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

100% agree

9. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

I'm waiting for the run defense sucked becuase of Chad Pennington thread next :rolleyes:

10. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

jtuds....i was being kind of sarcastic....although i will admit when KC threw that 4 yd out to brad smith early in the game for a first down with the blitz comming i couldnt help but think if CP was the QB that wouldnt have been possible. the ball was just zipped in there on a 3 step drop.

in reality i dont think they dropped the ball because it came in too hard....it was really a tongue in cheek comment.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I made the same comment, in the same manner, earlier this morning. It was taken more seriously than I meant it too.

However, that said, the receivers were obviously not accustomed to the ball being where it was, when it was. Fortunately, that's a fixable problem.

12. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

I think its fairly obvious thats the reason why the ball isnt sticking to the receivers hands. I wouldnt look into it too much as a problem, as all receivers usually take a few weeks to adjust to a new QB and the way they throw the ball, especially when the QB that was just replaced and was pretty much all the receivers saw for the last 5 years...

Every try to hit a fastball after seeing 20 changups in a row? Pretty much the same thing...give it time!

13. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Thank you. These WRs have caught balls from different quarterbacks before, hence why they are now proclaimed "pros".

14. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think after the bye week we'll see a few different things out of the WR's although there are no exuses for dropped passes. Ironically Cleveland almost lost yesterday because Edwards and Winslow had a to of drops and they've had Anderson throwing passes to them since week 2.

15. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

I got killed for suggesting that the change in quarterback stands to expose our receiving core for what it is; a shitty receiving core. We’ll have to see if they can adjust…they may have been genetically altered by Chad’s pathetic arm though.

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

My theory is that with Coles out Cotch was being doubled and was catching balls with very little space to work in against a very physical secondary and it got to him. Brad Smith simply is to raw, he doesn't know how to finish routes and extend for the football. This is a guy who catches 1 or 2 balls a game usually when he is uncovered who yesterday with Coles out was asked to do more than he is ready for.

It's to bad Stuckey is on IR, he looked like a guy with a clue who could have helped big time yesterday.

17. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

i dont think the recievers suck....but losing coles hurt big time. cotch is def a solid WR and smith is comming into his own. but when wallace right and davis were out on the field you know you have a problem. its too bad stuckey got hurt. he is a very good talent. hopefully next year he will stay healthy.

18. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I think everyone keeps forgetting why we were able to draft a receiver with Stuckey's talent in the 7th round. HE IS INJURY PRONE! I really hope he stays healthy enough to help us in the future. All I am saying is Don't get your hopes up. I have read so many posts already alluding to "if we had Stuckey". Well, we may never have Stuckey for an extended period of time. Prepare yourselves.

Oh yeah, J-Co is clearly a #2 receiver. Smith has another year before we can count on him as a #3. J-slack still sux. I think once Coles comes back, we are gonna see some good stuff.

19. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Just happen to forget that receivers were dropping balls when Chad was throwing to them? Convenient. The problem is once again with the receivers - not the QB. It is their job to catch the football whether it is floating or hurled from a cannon. There may be some minor adjustments to KC getting in a rhythm with the 1st stringers, but overall WR's have to do their job - which is catch the damn football.

Kind of like how tackling people is the defenses job... not the CS or the QB's. :up:

20. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

100% agreed. Yesterday definitely exposed how much work Brad Smith has to do before becoming a reliable option at WR. Hopefully in this lost year he gets the reps as he does indeed have talent.