Jets lost for the same reasons

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by discostu570, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Good point. The D was not going to stop them in OT, and he should have realized that. Take a shot at going for it on 4th and short, and go for the win. At 1-7 what do you have to lose?

He's pushed all the wrong buttons this year.

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Wow, a head coach more concerned with locker room bullshit than winning.

3. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

They did not lose for the same reason; this week instead of the mongoloid quartersack throwing a pick to end it - the quarterback tied the game. after that - the team as opposed to the quartersack blew it.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Big deal. He didn't throw a pick. He also only threw 1 TD and barely completed 50% of his passes. Where is the improvement in that? And they have been losing because they can't stop the run every week. Nothing has changed.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Come on Don. Did you watch the Game? how many of the incomplete passed did he hit the guy in the hands? How many were thorown away due to pressure?How many big playes did KC make when flushed out of the pocket?

Pin this one on the run defense becasue it sucked or on the receivers becaused they sucked as well. That 50% completion comment is pure negitive BS at its best.

7. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Best line of the day

8. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Shut up Don - we're fightin' now.

Prick

9. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

I wouldn't say that. Clemens, while he has a nice arm, wasn't always particularly accurate. Look at that last pass to Cotchery in overtime. It wasn't wildly inaccurate, it was certainly catchable, but it could've been a lot better. You can blame it on the receivers, and in some cases it is their fault (Brad Smith), but 50% completion percentage from Clemens is not negative BS, its reality. Sure there were throwaways, but there always are. Some of it goes to the receivers, some of it goes to Clemens. Either way, its got to get better.

To be clear, I think Clemens looks alright and I think he could turn out to be real good, but right now his inaccuracy is an issue.

10. Vic

Vic Member

Um, I think he did.

11. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Don watched this game on his mighty Gamecast....

12. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Brad Smith had 2 drops, Leon 1, Cotchery 2, and another from another WR whose name i cant think of is the main reason for his near 50 completion %. Do you honestly expect him to be on the same page with everyone in only his second start? There is going to be a few bad passes a game for his first several games until the chemisty builds with all of his receivers. Its just the way it is. When given time, he was right on the money. Alot of the time though, redskins were bringing 6-7 defenders and he had to throw it away. We know you love Pennington, but just have some patience with the kid....

13. NCaprio

NCaprio New Member

I disagree that we lost for the same reasons. Granted the D has been bad this year, but we were in a few close games in the 4th Q. Buff twice, Eagles, Giants and Cincy. If Clemens was in those games, we def win a majority of them.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We cant stop the run. Honestly, I cant blame the D line because they are just to small. Robertson is a good tackle but he's no 3-4 nose tackle. We need a nosetacke more then anything else. Period. Number one need for this team.

Those saying it wasn't a differnce between this week and the last few weeks at QB......

...I didn't see any game killing INT's on crucial drives - did you? This is kinda a big difference.

We need to start airing the ball out more. We need to spend the bye week spending a lot of time on our downfiled passing scheme. We got a live arm and need to start using it properly.

15. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy New Member

I think Mangina really screwed up this team not only this year but for next year. They are better off cutting ties ASAP.

16. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

If your reading me as being anti-Clemens, I'm not. My point in this thread was basically this: Theyre both good quarterbacks, but neither will win with this team until the team improves in other areas. I was mostly addressing people who insist that regardless of what happens in games or what the stats say, Pennington was the reason the Jets were losing games. However, this week, with Clemens at quarterback, the team looked and performed exactly the same. Remember that Parcells quote, that quarterbacks arent spark plugs, you cant just change them and fix the problem? We changed the spark plug this week, and the engines still busted. Thats the important point.

As for evaluating the quarterbacks, sure, Clemens will probably improve as time goes by; but to write off his completion percentage today because of a few throwaways and drops is to disregard the fact that those plays happen in every game ever played by any quarterback, and that neither is something that quarterbacks are completely without responsibility for (some throwaways maybe they made a bad decision or didn't see an open guy, some drops maybe are poorly thrown balls, etc.) Another Parcells favorite is that you are what your record says you are. I think that definetely applies to completion percentage. Sure, hell get better, but that doesn't relieve him of responsibility for where he is now.

Furthermore, I have no problem starting the kid seeing as the team is 1-8; no reason not to throw him in there and see what he can do. But going forward, I still think Pennington is a damn good quarterback, and to me it's silly to toss him aside because the entire team wasn't good enough to win this season. If hypothetically both players were to stick with this team through the offseason and Clemens were to beat Pennington out of the starting job, I'd be all in favor of starting him and never looking back, but I'd bet if you asked the other players on this team, most would bet on Pennington winning that competition.

17. JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB

JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB New Member

Some good points made here but you have to take into consideration that Clemens did some pretty good things against 2 really good defenses now. (Baltimore and Washington) Chad was playing just ok against mediocre defenses. I absolutely agree with you on the o-line situation. Put the kids in!

18. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

The argument is about Qb is relevant. Clemens made throws and scrambles against one of the best secondaries that Chad could not have done. He kept us in the game and gave us a chance to win even with a horrible defense! We had a chance for the first time to win this year despite our Horrible Defense! If out Wr's could catch we would have won. The Redskins would have jumped Chads passes all day and blitzed him into at least 2-3 turnovers yesterday!

19. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

And if he went for it on 4th down and failed we would have given the Skins a short field and they probably would have run it down our throat and into the end zone; he then would be critisized for his incredible stupidity.

We can agree that our defense is just plain awful, though.

20. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Well, it took the Skins all of 3 plays to get out to where the Jets would've given them the ball if they failed and they ran it down our throats for a FG anyway. The Jets actually got a break with that FG attempt since there was no way possible they could've stopped them on 4th and an inch.

The problem with coaches in the NFL is that they coach in fear of being criticized by the "pundits" and talk radio morons. With a defense like the Jets, in OT there's absolutely no way you can punt the ball away when you're on the other team's side of the field already. 4th and 7 is not some insurmountable distance, and the chance is certainly worth more then 25 yards of field position that your defense is going to give up(plus more) immediately.