Defense is the problem

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Today should have demonstrated the real problem with this Jet team and why they are 1-8. It is not the QB. The Jet defense has not stopped anyone this year in nine games. Even the pitiful Miami offense looked like a juggernaut against this pathetic Jet defense. Every running back the Jets play looks like Jim Brown. It is no wonder the QB and the offense press. The Jet defense was on the field for about 25 of 30 minutes from the middle of the second quarter until the middle of the fourth quarter. With the defense not being able to EVER get off the field, the offense ends up with limited possessions, no turnover, no field position, end eventually a deficit late in the fourth quarter. One measly defensive stop and this team wins the game today, the Bills game last week, the Bengal game before that, and throw in the Eagle and Giant games. This defense is as bad as any I have seen in over 40 years of watching this team. It doesn't matter if the Jets had John Elway or Joe Montana at QB, with the inability to stop the run or rush the passer, the offense goes for long spells without even getting on the field. Every time the other has the ball, the Jet defense gives up 5-6 first downs. The defense never takes advantage of a punt inside the 10 yard line. Holding teams to a FG is a "stop." It is awful.

2. amsingh

amsingh New Member

So true. Unfortunately Chad had to pay for the defense's ineptitude out there. Clemens game wasn't too different than Chad's would've been if he played. I think when Chad moves on he'll have a great career somewhere where he is appreciated also where there is a defense that can support his style.

3. m123456

m123456 New Member

was thinking about that. he really is a pretty decent QB, and great team leader/good guy. Could do much better somewhere else. maybe the ravens.

oh and I agree re: defense. manning marino elway bradshaw...even..ugh Brady could easily be 1-8 on this team. on the other hand at least 3 games we lost to q4 interceptions while in scoring range so could easily be 4-4 with one of those guys. not that that's very good either.

#3 m123456, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

As bad as the D was, Cotch doesn't put the ball on the turf we win, Washington doesn't drop a ball that hits him in the chest we win. Brad Smith is clearly not ready to be an NFL WR, we have a slot reciever who knows how to catch we probably win, Cotch doesn't drop a pass on third down we have a great shot to win. The D stops a 2 point converssion we win. Our coaching staff tries to win in regualation rather than play for a FG after marching down the field we might win.

The D has some big problems and I hate to say this but we may need to draft a RB or a WR if they are the best available when it's our turn. This team really has big issues on both sides of the ball that's before even touching the OL.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

While I still think our lines need addressing before anything else, I agree with you on the rest.

We had so many opportunities to extend drives, but our receivers couldn't catch the ball, or hold onto it when they did.

Granted, the D leaves much to be desired, but it was holding the Skins to field goals for quite a while before finally caving in. Eventually being on the field all day is going to expose a relatively weak defense, and that's what's happened every week, including this one.

Extend drives by not dropping balls, or actually getting some run blocking, and maybe we win a game or two.

I just find it hillarious that people are using yesterday's game to say Chad wasn't at fault. Did anyone see what a QB with an arm can do yesterday? Justin McCraphands caught passes yesterday. If we had Coles yesterday, I think we'd have fared differently.

6. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

This game was Chads fault for getting Coles killed last week.... No way if Coles plays we lose that game....

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

We had the ball 31 mins, the skins 36- that's not that big of a difference and at the end of regulation Wash had it 31 mins and we had it 29. Also, if he d cold ever stop anyone maybe they'd have more rest?

KC played OK yesterday but as we saw the QB wasn't the diff just as it wasn't when Chad was in there. It's hard to win when your D is playing that poorly. That's the 3rd double digit lead the D has blown in the past 4-5 weeks.

8. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I blame Chad for turning the WRs into idiots who can't catch a ball thrown faster than 30 MPH.

9. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

I thought that a first but they had all week to adjust to Clemens but I guess they needed more time...

I do think the Smith short arm was a direct result of catching passes from Chad with the fear of getting leveled

10. nyjunc

So it's Chad's fault Coles always jumps for balls when he doesn't have to? Ok I see.

There was nothing wrong w/ Chad's pass to Coles last week but as he always does Cols jumped fo the ball when he didn't need to. go back ad watch Coles play throughout his career(no matter who the QB was) and more often than not he would jump to catch balls when he didn't have to.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

How many of Washington's regulation points were scored off a turnover?

I'll make it easy on you. The answer is 8.

If KC played "OK" yesterday, then Chad's been the worst QB to ever suit up in a professional uniform in the history of the game.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It's just good we don't play the Vikings this year or Peterson might run for 1000 yards and 15 scores against this hapless run defense we have.

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

This may well be the most uninformed post I've EVER seen, and I never expected that from you.

I can no longer take anything you say seriously.

Coles didn't need to jump for that ball last week? Really?

Wow, you'll argue about anything, no matter how wrong you are.

14. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

Your Chadlove is at critical mass.... whether or not he has a tendency to jump has nothing to do with that play... he threw another high floater that he had to jump for to catch, which gave McGee a clear running shot at him while defenseless....

Coles injury is all on Chad or didn't u notice the cold shoulder Coles gave him as he walked off the field

15. nyjunc

What does the points off TOs stat have to do w/ how well the D played?

Kellen played well considering it was his 2nd start but overall we didn't get better QB play yesterday than we have all year. the man threw 42 times for only 226 yards(5.4 YPA and 55%) and his throws were all over the place. it was encouraging play rom a young QB but he didn't play a great game.

16. nyjunc

It's your Chad hate. That pass was fine, Coles jumpd when he didn't have to like he always does. Some day you'll understand the game- keep trying and keep paying attention.

17. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

I can't even argue this.... You're either delusional or just a liar...maybe both...

18. nyjunc

You can't argue b/c, as usual, you have no argument. You just don't understand the game. you have your agendas and you stick to it even when the overwhelming evidence is against you.

19. BenGrahamFan

BenGrahamFan Member

Sorry buddy he's actually right. Coles really didn't need to jump for that ball. If you look at the replay, the ball would've hit him right in the face if he didn't jump...now I'm sorry but that's not a bad pass.

It's also ridiculous to say these receivers can't catch the ball cause Chad got them used to catching an easy ball. These are PROFESSIONALS...there are no excuses. Chad's not the only one who throws passes in practice...it's not like it was the first time they've seen Kellen throw a ball.

20. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

What evidence? Your act is soooooo fucking tiring.... I was half joking about the Chad comment but you're too much of a social outcast to pick up on sarcasm...
    Just keep telling everyone how brilliant you are and how the rest of us should bow at your feet...

BTW...

Can't wait for the next BS bowl & I must respond thread...