Chad , Vilma & SUGGS : jets lookin' at SUGGS ? ? ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Oct 31, 2007.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

02:14PM - Where Will Chad End Up In 2008?
    Tuesday, October 30th, 2007 by Gary Grund

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network wonders if Chad Pennington?s future may be destined to re-unite him with former head coach Herm Edwards in Kansas City.With Tony Romo being locked up long-term by the Cowboys, he will no longer be on the market for teams in need of a quarterback. Chad Pennington may be perhaps the top quarterback on the market this offseason. The only other candidate would be the Bears quarterback Rex Grossman who was benched earlier this season in favor of Brian Griese.

Schefter also pegs the Carolina Panthers and Minnesota Vikings as possible landing spots for Pennington in addition to Kansas City.Pennington has a $7.8 million salary cap figure for the 2008 season. He signed a restructured contract prior to the 2006 season through 2011. He is due $2 million this season with a $2 million roster bonus, $4.8 million in 2008, $5.7 million in 2009, $2.3 million in 2010 and $7.5 million in 2011.

?Despite what many Jets fans believe, after watching Pennington week after week, and wanting Kellen Clemens, Pennington is still an upgrade over a lot of the quarterbacks in this league that are currently starting and could compensate the Jets will a 1st day draft pick?

?Then again, the most unlikely scenario is the Jets hold onto Pennington and make him the most expensive backup quarterback in the league, but again this is highly unlikely?

~ ~ ~ 02:00PM - Ravens Interested In Vilma
    Tuesday, October 30th, 2007 by Gary Grund

According to Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun, the Ravens are showing interest in Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma who was recently placed on injured reserved with a season-ending knee injury.

Current Ravens middle linebacker Ray Lewis has one-year remaining on his contract after this season worth nearly $6.5 million in base salary. It will count in excess of $9 million against the salary cap. Lewis has been lobbying for years for an extension and the Ravens may find an alternative and that could very well be Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma.

Vilma would fit in very well in Baltimore and would allow the Ravens to remain in a 4-3 defense.

?I wouldn?t take anything less than a first-round pick for Jonathan Vilma. His production has slowed because of the obvious switch to the 3-4 defense, but putting him back in the 4-3 makes him once again a potential top 5 middle linebacker in this league. If we manage to get a first-round pick from the Ravens, it is likely to be in the late teens or early 20?s of the draft. NFL Draft Countdown currently has nose tackle Frank Okam pegged into that area and could be exactly who the Jets may target with a pick in that range?

?The article also notes that the Ravens continue to negotiate with outside linebacker/defensive end Terrell Suggs. The Ravens reportedly want to sign Suggs to about $8 million per season, however Suggs is looking for $1-2 million more. Expect the Jets to take a long look at Suggs as a potential pass rushing linebacker if he hits the open market

2. Redskins_XLII

Redskins_XLII New Member

No Chance Chaddy boy gets anything before a 3rd rounder. Next year 3rd rounders are on the 2nd day.

3. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Interesting read, but who is Gary Grund?

4. nvot9

nvot9 New Member

First, I hope the Jets don't target Frank Okam. I'd try to attempt to pry Ngata from them if possible (prolly not) first, before looking at a draft pick.

Second, I've heard numerous times that Suggs doesn't wanna play in NY.

5. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

there is absolutely no way the ravens give up ngata. No chance. Okam is really the jets only option if they wanna improve the Dline through the draft. He is the only DT with the size to play NT

6. nvot9

nvot9 New Member

I dnno, I'd prefer to go for a later round player then, such as Red Bryant. I really really dislike Okam. He's the EXACT opposite of Chris Long (in terms of effort, drive, motivation etc.) Those kinds of players really scare me and next to never succeed.

7. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

It's FITM.

8. rillo

rillo New Member

I doubt it if Suggs hits the market.....would be nice though!

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The Jets pay 10 million a year for a linebacker? I don't think so.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I wouldnt be soo sure there. In the 3/4 defense the outside linebacker position is one of the most important on the defense. And Suggs is worth that type of money. If he's available and the Tannenbaum/Mangini start taking more heat for a lackluster defense, I wouldnt be surprised if they throw that much money at him.

11. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Well, it's time Woody wakes up and sees what he has to do to make this team a contender. To me, it starts by doing whatever it takes to land Suggs and build your defense around him.

12. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

The ten million a year does seem excessive. The one positive I see in Suggs is he can play the hybrid role of DE/LB.

13. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Isn't it time we pissed away some ridiculous money on a player who can actually have a real impact on the game?

14. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I can agree with that. One thing about Suggs that we are lacking right now, he can get to the QB.

15. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I would agree with this. I think that we are losing patience with average to above average QBs. Especially when those asses from Mass. are winning Super Bowl titles every other freakin' year it seems. I would absolutely without a second thought take a 1st day pick for Chad. I wouldn't even deman more. Especially considering a 1st day pick is either a 1st round or 2nd round pick.

Depending on where the Ravens end up drafting I would take a 2nd round pick. A 1st would probably mean we would lose a later round pick.

What is the chance that Suggs gets the Franchise Tag? I would without a doubt pay whatever it took to get Suggs.

16. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Sadly would our FO pay up to Suggs, basically admitting that the Bryan Thomas extension was horrible, and that we over reacted instead of making him prove he wasn't a one year wonder...

I hope we would pay for Suggs, we NEED a pass rush, but IDK if our FO would admit they f-ed up so early, i mean it's only been a year...

17. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

I would hope a 4-12 record or whatever we end up at would be a wake up call for the FO. With the season we're having, it's time to check the ego at the door and upgrade this team any way possible.

18. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Ive always liked Red Bryant he's a big guy and a great 3-4 Nose Tackle i think he'll be more of a player for us then Okam will be but then again who really know's... We should definately look into Suggs but come on where the jets we wont sign a player who can help us drastically.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...it's still the 3rd round, just because it's on the 2nd day, doesn't mean the talent level changes.

20. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

The Jets FO plans for the off-season may have already gone up in smoke as they probably weren't planning on shelling out $15mm - $25mm in bonus money on a Top 5 draft pick.