Keep In Mind!! Regarding the new QB!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Beamen, Oct 29, 2007.

1. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Bottom line is if the coaching staff doesn't improve, we are doomed.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

sshhh, logic only aggravates the simple minded.

3. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

What do these kind of threads say about the Jets' fans. Expect mistakes, expect highs and lows, and for god sake have some patience. The biggest thing in progress from week to week. If that is seen then there is nothing to complain about.

4. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I'll give him the first quarter of next week's game to prove he is the next Tom Brady.

5. Beamen

Beamen New Member

No joke, I started this thread because, at the game yesterday, after his first pick, one of the few fans left in the stands near me, started grumbling to put Chad back in...

I know there are people among us who will react that way, but I hope to squash that bug before it gets into the flour....

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Chads first year as the starting QB..

12 starts, 3120 Yards 68.9% 22 TDs 6Ints..

Lets see if Kellen could top that..

7. Beamen

Beamen New Member

He's not going to, and that's also another point I was trying to make in this thread...

People are going to be greedy, but they have to understand that, usually, QBs don't burst onto the scene with success.... It's a process... Anyone who wants to see 22 TDs and 6 INTs in Clemens' first 12 starts is going to be sorely disappointed...

8. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Considering he is going to get a maximum of eight starts that will be difficult.

That dilemma aside, what's your point?

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, it is called context, and when you are breaking in a new QB who has never played, those are things you have to expect. nobody expected those things under Pennington, and that is why fans called for his job -- because he wasn't performing and has had years of experience that should have led to him playing better.

#29 JetBlue, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  10. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Gil Brandt put it well on NFL Radio: "Keep in mind Jets fans that Kellen Clemens isn't going in to win games, he's going in to get prepared for 2008".

This is very true. It's more of a developmental decision than it is a "get the team back in the race" decision.

11. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Let's not forget that Chad didn't get the chance to start until partway into his 3rd year in the league. Clemens will be thrown to the wolves with one less year of experience. But yes, we should definitely expect growing pains.

12. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Not saying that you didn't, but how anyone else doesn't understand this already is beyond me.

13. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Well we now have a chance to see if Clemens is the real deal. He has 8 games to show me something, anything, a glimer of hope. If this cannot be done then we will sure look long and hard in the up coming draft for a QB.
    So I give Clemens a few games and if he proves to be a QB of the future then my thoughts of following more college games for a QB could be scratched.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I don't care if he throws 5 int. a game as long as it isn't the Pennington 5 yard pass and tackle on third and ten. Just give us a QB who doesn't have the grade school arm!

15. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

That all depends on if Shottenjunior gets his act together. So far this season, he's either been hiding the fact that Chad is TERRIBLE very well or he's really shitting the bed.

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I expect Kellen to make mistakes. I also expect him to make plays. As long as he continues to grow all of this season and into the next thats fine.

I expect to see him win a game we thought we'd lose and lose a couple we could have won this year. Thats what a talented young QB can do.

If he starts throwing 5 yard outs every play of the 2 min drill I may go smack Shotty, but leave the kid alone for a year.

17. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

If Clemens doesn't show signs by the end of the year (doesn't necessarily need to be consistent yet), the Jets absolutely have to scout the college QBs even harder.

18. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

I'm not going to bash Clemens if he plays poorly this week. I'm interested in watching him play the rest of the season, and then we'll have a good idea of what we have.

But I'm not going to say it's ok for Clemens to turn the ball over more.

2002 Chad had 6 picks in 12 games. If he played the Full season, we'll assume around 8.
    2003 12 in 10? games
    2004 9 in 13 games.

If he's turning the ball over much more than that, that isn't ok.

A good QB should consistently be below 15 picks a year imo.

19. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Picks and losses

They don't really matter now as long as Kellen is learning and the offense is progressing. You won't see me complaining. It ain't like we're going to the playoffs this year.

20. Beamen

Beamen New Member

But a QB who's throwing down the field, as he develops, has to be able to test his arm and accuracy, and see which throws he can make in game situations and which he cannot....

So if in Kellen's first 6-8 starts, we see some throws get picked off that just seem foolish, I chock that up to the learning process.... If we see poor passes, I may complain about that, as I may complain if we see the same mistake made 3+ times....

But until he learns and gains experience, I'm not going to jump on him for picks