Chad is the starter this weekend

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Oct 24, 2007.

1. TheSHRIKE81

TheSHRIKE81 Member

The interception wasn't Coles' fault it was Penningtons and the playcalling. I don't understand what has happened with the terrible playcalling. Chad zinged it down the field twice and that's it. All little dump passes. When you do the same crap plays over and over again, the defense is going to play for it. Chad also has been telegraphing his passes lately for some reason. No playaction, no pump fakes, floating balls, I love Chad and have defended him a long time, but it's time for the Jets to do what's needed to win. Chad's got a lot of heart and drive, but it takes more then that to be a winning qb in the league.

No matter what the defense is very much at fault also, but when you drive down the field and kick field goals as opposed to getting in for TD's; when you have to punt, it's the QB & the playcalling that's at fault here. The two real TD's we had were seriously lucky breaks. We didn't drive to within the red zone and score from within there.

We need Clemens in and a reworking of offensive and defensive strategy. Need to get Jones the ball more, need to work on the O line to open up the running game. Get him going off tackle and create holes for him. Need to either ditch the 3-4 or give it a serious overhauling. As of right now, aside from Pennington and our questionable status at the safties, I don't think much has to change in the way of personnel.

With that said, realistically, I can see why Mangini is keeping Pennington in. The reasons have been stated already.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Funny. I was thinking about Favre when I wrote that. Actually, what I was really thinking about was this. What "future franchise QB" has ever had to wait as long as Clemens to get to play when their team was totally out of the playoffs? I couldn't think of one and then I started thinking about Favre (who got traded). That's when I realized he is not this team's future in Mangini's eyes.

#162 Don, Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I was thinking the same thing today.

I now find it thoroughly ridiculous that Pennington is still starting. (Previously, I had found it somewhat ridiculous. Now it is thoroughly ridiculous.)
    Last week I could still at least understand the argument for Pennington. But now, here at 1-6, I cannot understand it.

As for Favre-
    At this same stage in their careers, Favre was with his second NFL team and was starting games.
    Clemens is with
    the same team,
    the same coaching staff,
    the same system,
    the same regime that drafted him,
    and is behind a quarterback with an awful NFL arm whose future is all washed up,
    and the guy remains on the bench!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get it. I just don't get it.

The New York Jets are an out-and-out joke.

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

No, I don't think that practice in any way gives an "on point" idea of how someone would do in a game, and I doubt that anyone else does either. If that was the case you wouldn't have the Tom Brady stories, would you, or for that matter every other story of a QB coming in to replace someone who is hurt and ends up doing well (such as, say, Pennington in 2002)?

The reason to put Clemens in now (or actually, to have put him in weeks ago) is that the Jets need to know if they need to draft or trade for a QB this offseason. Seems pretty obvious to me.

And once again, stop telling me what I think - I never even hinted that I thought Clemens could win a championship in 2008. What I believe is stunningly obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes is that Pennington certainly can't.

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I'm not overly concerned unless Clemens isn't playing after the bye. If however we get to the bye and are out of it and Clemens still doesn't play than I start to have big doubts about the franchise.

My theory is and will continue to be that they want Clemens to play but not with the pressure of being the man this year. While from our point of view the team is out of it, the players and coaches don't want to put that out to the team yet which a change may indicate to some?

Now if the reason Clemens isn't playing becuase they don't believe he is the future of the team, they should have traded him while he still had value which was in the off season or right after the Baltimore game.

6. Don

We are already out of it. We would have to win our last 9 games which would include beating both Dallas and NE to have 10 wins and a chance for a playoff berth.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Chad arguably has the most offensive weapons around him as he has ever had. never has he had two explosive receivers to throw to like Cotchery and Coles, an explosive elusive RB out of the backfield like Washington and a competent catching TE like Baker. Jones is no Martin, but he is a competent short term substitute. he is not being asked to win the games on his own, he has been given all the tools to help him and he is worse now than he ever was. how is the team failing Chad when he makes awful reads and decisions. I can't believe how delusional you are about Chad's abilities.

and comparing Favre and Pennington is absolutely ridiculous. just because two situations appear similar does not mean the dynamics of them are identical. Favre has earned the privilege to step aside when he feels ready, and the Green Bay fans and organization are more than willing to watch him for as long as he chooses. Chad has not in any way come close to earning such a privilege. one is a HOF QB, the other is just a Rhodes Scholar Finalist.

8. Don

Who compared Pennington and Favre? Get your glasses cleaned or better yet, read what was said before commenting on it.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I don't mean to discredit your theory, perhaps it is a correct one.

If it is a correct one, the Jets are nuts.

What pressure is there when a team is five games below .500?

This is not amateur athletics. Clemens needs to get his feet wet and take his lumps. He's paid handsomely for it. He is no longer a rookie. There is no reason for him to be babied.

If he can't handle 5-games-under-.500 pressure than he probably can't handle 0-0 pressure and therefore shouldn't start for this team in Week 1 of 2008. That means the Jets would have to find a better QB in the offseason.

10. winstonbiggs

Of course we are out of it but the players haven't checked out yet.

11. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Run DMC here we come!!!!!!!!!!

12. k311

k311 Member

chad had a chance to win the game last week and threw a pick 6 with the game on the line. that should have been it.

OR maybe mangini knows chad puts us in the best position to lose, which is the best position to WIN the #1 draft pick

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

really. here is the quote I was responding to:
    do you want to admit you're an idiot on your own, or should we just let your post say it for you?

14. winstonbiggs

It's not the pressure of whether we are out of it or not it's the pressure from going from a relatively unimportant back up to the starting QB and leader of one of 32 NFL teams. As a back up going in for an injured QB or doing mop up detail you can just let your ability take over and start developing. When you are the starting QB on an NFL team, it's a totally different pressure. You are no longer a young player with skills you are the main man on a team full of men that is worth close to a billion dollars. You are the franchise.

15. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

I agree, you hate to have your team loose and your QB have a poor outing. But it's incredible how CP has a stranglehold over the position. Jeez, i look around the league and other teams make changes at the blink of an eye but Mangini refuses. Maybe Clemens just stinks in practice I don't know but if that's the case why did they draft him.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sometimes you can lose a battle and position yourself to win a war...

17. dueskays

dueskays New Member

It's not like Mangini drafted Chad, or brought him in here. He has no true bond to him. When Mangini thinks confidently that Clemens gives the Jets the best chance to win, Clemens will play. We'll see when that is. End of story.

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Okay, it sounds like this thread is over. Can a mod please close it?

19. GreenScreen313

GreenScreen313 New Member

I'd rather lose with Chad than lose with Kellen...we're still a couple of years away from a Championship so F it. We owe it to Chadwick for being such an amazing roll model.

20. winstonbiggs

Brad Smith gives the Jets a better chance to win than Chad right now. Having the best chance to win hasn't been part of the equation since Chad was named the starter before TC. Chad was clearly the worst QB on the squad in pre season. He is not playing because he gives us the best chance to win or is No. 1 on the depth chart. This season is being sacrificied for the future.