Vilma lost for the year (MERGED)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by falcon4e, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I am sorry, but the defense has been a far greater issue all year than our offense has been. And compared to last year I am stupified in how it got so bad so fast.

2. Beamen

Beamen New Member

That Mangini is seemingly toying with sitting Vilma, but refuses to do so with Pennington is really telling of his poor judgement....

Vilma is not making an impact, but he is not the one hurting the defense (that'd go on the shoulders of our bowling ball with knives, Dewayne Robertson)

So Mangini will bench a young player, who is the team captain and established leader, for failing to make a legitimate impact, but he won't bench an older player, who is the team captain and established leader, for making HUGE costly mistakes week after week?

I swear, if we go 3-13 or worse, and Mangini returns, I'm going to kill someone

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

We're just going to have to leave this at the fact that we very much disagree.

4. Beamen

Beamen New Member

It's not as easy as you're making it out to be.... Vilam knows he can't sit and read the play, and then expect to have an open path to the ball carrier...

So he's "guessing" as soon as he's clued off as to where the play is going, trying to get into position to make a play, and more often than not, he's getting caught in the wash....

It's very similar conceptually to Brick and Mangold's struggles in the first couple games... By attempting to compensate for a struggling player (in their case Clarke, in his, Robertson) Vilma's play has diminished substantially....

By the way, if Vilma 'takes a step back' he's conceding a gain, and likely will get blocked further down field... He's doing everything he can to make an impact, but it's just not possible in the current situation

5. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I suppose... :smile:

Granted we aren't scoring machines on offense, but when have we been? We have never been a shoot out kind of offense. Usually good for 14-24 points. Maybe I am taking for granted that it should be easier for a unit that is pretty much intact from the previous year (save a couple of additions) to be able to once in a while hold an opponent to less points than we are scoring. I mean, they did it last year more times than not.

Just for fun....

2006 Off scores 316/16 = 19.75 per game.
    2006 Def allows 295/16 = 18.43 per game.

2007 Off scores 136/7 = 19.42 per game.
    2007 Def allows 192/7 = 27.42 per game.

See anything in there? I see the defense sucking a whole lot more than the offense in comparison. The offense isn't far off its average after 7 games whereas the defense is waaaaaaaay over. I say WTF defense... you say "bench Pennington". :rolleyes:

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's exactly what bothers me about Vilma's play in the middle, he thinks he can engage and then disengage with a blocking guard like he was able to do with a blocking TE or FB in the 4-3 alignment. He doesn't turn sideways to squirt a gap most of the time, he'll hit the blocker with his shoulders square and present an easy target to block.

For someone his size with his quickness he should be a ton more evasive than he is. As tough as it is to evade a professional blocker, I expect the leader of my defense in the center of the 3-4 defense to be able to do something as vital as this.

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Gator and abyz I could not agree with you more...yeah its not the perfect system for Vilma but that doesnt mean you disappear......he has made zero adjustments to try to make any plays....its mind boggling really...If Mangina is thinking about benching him it just may be because Vilma hasnt done some things that maybe they have been talking about in practice....Im sure he has a reason...as for starting penny, I have no idea what hes thinking....and Alio, our defense is HORRENDOUS!!!!.....its part because our offense doesnt stay on the field, sure....but its also because d-rob, ellis, barton and vilma along with barret and a few others suck complete dick.....

8. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

no doubt. Its pointless

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

We're 29th in time of possession this season. Last season we finished 9th. I'd say the offense not holding onto the ball is a big contributer to that. We also played the Pats who are dropping 40+ on anyone that gets in there way. If you haven't see how inept this offense is, I don't know what games you're watching.

When the defense spends most of the game on the field, they're bound to wear down and eventually give up points. Also, how many pick 6's has chad thrown so far this season? It seems like their's at least 1 per game.

Code:
    week	1st half points		2nd half points		NYJ TOP 	OPP TOP
    1	14			24			26:51		33:09
    2	17			3 * - Pennington Out	28:55		31:05
    3	13			15			31:50		28:10
    4	0			17			27:44		32:16
    5	7			28			26:15		33:45
    6	10			6			28:04		31:46
    7	10			28			26:06		33:54

edit: Don't get me wrong, I think this defense leaves A LOT to be desired, but I also believe the offense is not holding up it's end of the bargain and putting an extra load on them. The second half statistics could also be attributed to not making good adjustments at halftime.

#29 WhiteShoeWillis, Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  10. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

From Rotoworld:

WTF is going on...they can't even get their injuries straight!

11. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Yeah, here's something more official about it:

Jets' Jonathan Vilma may be out for year

By RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, October 24th 2007, 5:35 PM

Things keep getting worse for the reeling Jets.

Inside linebacker Jonathan Vilma, their defensive leader, has sustained a "significant" knee injury,
    the Daily News has learned.

The prognosis wasn't immediately known, but the mere fact that it was termed significant means that Vilma probably needs surgery and will miss the remainder of the season.

When he suffered the injury is a bit of a mystery -- and a controversy. Vilma was removed for a handful of plays in the second half of Sunday's loss in Cincinnati; he rarely comes off the field. On
    Monday, coach Eric Mangini said Vilma's performance was "dramatically affected" by an injury that he declined to specify.

On Monday, Vilma, appearing on his weekly WFAN spot, contradicted Mangini's claim. Vilma claimed he wasn't injured and that he was removed because of a "coach's decision."

Vilma evidently went for an MRI exam later Monday, after his radio show, and received the sobering news. Today, Vilma was excused from practice because he underwent "some more tests," Mangini said.

Vilma never has missed a game in three-plus seasons. He's the "quarterback" of the defense, responsible for making the calls. He had been struggling in Mangini's 3-4 defense, but had shown signs in recent weeks of playing up to his usual standard.

He will be replaced by rookie David Harris, a second-round pick from Michigan.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

wow.

My guess on the conflicting reports (vilma/mangini) is that Vilma just didn't want to give out any injury info as per team policy. Who knows.

13. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was my guess.

14. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Well to be honest i seriously doubt that Vilma would deny having any injury at all if it would be bothering him enough to be season ending. And I also doubt that Mangini would lie and say Vilma is out for the year because he spoke out and stated the truth.... so the question is What the Hell is really going on???????

15. WhiteShoeWillis

It's probably just a big conspiracy. The Jets are really a powerhouse team and have been sand bagging so far. Vilma isn't hurt and will begin playing like his rookie season this week. Clemens is really starting. Everything we've seen so far this season is just a big trick to throw the rest of the NFL off so we can rip off 12 straight wins now.

16. Don G

Don G New Member

Vilma may be lost for the year

The New York Daily News reports ILB Jonathan Vilma may be in danger of missing the rest of the season due to a "significant" knee injury.
    In an odd back-and-forth between Vilma and Eric Mangini, the coach has said his star inside linebacker is hurt, while Vilma himself denies he's injured at all. Vilma only rotated in during the second half of New York's Week 7 loss. He may have been playing through a torn or partially torn ligament in the knee. Rookie David Harris will join the starting linuep while Vilma is out. Oct. 24 - 6:53 pm et

this is according to rotoworld. wtf is going on with the jets. first mangini says that he played hurt, then vilma says he's fine...now this?

17. Tight

Tight Active Member

my point is he is a high character guy sir... Ask anyone, when we were 4-12 do you remember anything like this ??? Ok

You dont have to draft a guy for him to be high character whats your point ?

18. Pride

Pride New Member

That my friends was the sound of Vilma's trade value going out the window. Hopefully Harris can step up as a on defense and Kerry Rhodes be our defensive leader being that he is our most gifted player defensively by far

#38 Pride, Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Why do so many posters think Vilma and Pennington would get traded? It is not easy to trade veterans.
    If the Jets want to try to trade those guys at some point, that is fine. The problem is even if they work out a trade, the Jets wouldn't get much back.
    These guys will probably play out their contracts and become free agents or they will simply be cut.

20. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

Damn! Oh well time to move on. Who's his replacement? David harris? An upgrade? Hmm...things are already lookin better... When ya gotta go ya Gotta GO!