Falcons release Grady Jackson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYjets2335, Oct 23, 2007.

?

Should the Jets sign Grady Jackson?

1. Yes

84.7%
  2. No

15.3%
  1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The beauty of the one year contract is that there is no cap implication for next year. We have almost $10m left on this years cap, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to not bring this guy in. DO IT!

2. Nomad

Nomad Member

I voted yes, at this point it can't hurt and might fire up some of the defensive players to do something.

3. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I didn't see anyone else say that we were signing him to a multi-year contract. Read the thread before you argue against a point that no one made.

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

That is the biggest reason to sign him.

Part of the thinking, (at least here....) is that DRob playing DE next to a monster DT, could be highly effective, and this would let you know how to pattern your draft, in the upcoming offseason....

5. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

exactly.
    (filler)

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

unless he's been released because he is on the fbi's al qaeda watch i say sign him.

7. sabu75

sabu75 New Member

what have you got to lose?submit the waiver claim

8. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

hes just what we need so why in god green earth would we sign him? Thats just not the Jet way.....plus I highly doubt he is a mangini guy

9. Jets18

Jets18 New Member

Why would he want to come to a 1-6 team that is going no where.

10. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Don't worry - the Pats will sign him just to be pricks.

11. baamf

baamf Active Member

If I understand it correctly, if you put a waiver claim in and are awarded the player than you have to abide by his current multi-year contract. Now obviously NFL contracts are not guaranteed but there would still be cap ramifications. If he clears waivers you can negotiate a new deal, but then you are competing with the entire league. I think that is correct, I'll see if I can verify it.

12. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

:rofl: Thanx for addin a little humor to the day.

13. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

They should bring this guy in for a tryout at the very least, particularly after it became blatantly obvious that the Vilma Robertson combination doesn't work.

If you're going to commit to a 3-4 scheme you have to make a commitment to obtaining the correct personnel. It's not rocket science. In this case, Jackson's age is utterly irrelevant. He needs to take up space and eat blocks. Ted Washington still does it. Even his participation in a limited rotation would be a benefit.

-X-

14. Pilotpf

Pilotpf Member

In the off season Tangini brings in almost every washed up has been that ever played the DE position to try them out, We the fans sit around praising him because we've been Duped into thinking they're geniouses meanwhile none of them panned out and now we suck. They won't even bring in Grady for a workout, they're content.

Who remembers Mangini's mantra "Me and Mike T sit down every night and evaluate the players on our team, and any available players. We'll make personal changes for the best for this team" Where did Mangini's I'm hungry for more attitude go. Did he lose it when he lost weight?

15. OSUJetFan89

OSUJetFan89 New Member

jets signed all sorts of nonsense DEs in the offseason, why not take a chance here

16. OSUJetFan89

OSUJetFan89 New Member

i think anything would help the NT situation right now

17. Lawbot

Lawbot New Member

There's absolutely no reason not to look at the guy. Maybe he didn't get along with the new coaching staff. So what? If he can help the team, and make us better, that should be the number one criteria. The rest is just crap.

I'm tired of always hearing about how we need players that fit a certain profile: tough, smart, hard-working players who love football. That description leaves out one thing: they should also be good! You have to win first before you can get the players to check the egos at the door and we haven't won anything yet. If Mangini isn't good enough to coach and motivate players that don't fit the "profile", he shouldn't be coaching in the NFL.

18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

welcom to the board pal...Im a big Buckeye fan as well, glad to have ya

19. icecreamtruck

icecreamtruck Member

On the radio here in ATL they interviewed a personnel guy from the Falcons. They said it was simply a matter of too many bodies / too much money tied up on the D-line. Trey Lewis has come on strong, and Babineaux and Coleman came back from injury. There was no reason to keep Jackson around and pay him.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Hall blasts Petrino over Jackson's release

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3077313&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines