robertson vesus wilfolk

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tbruner12, Oct 19, 2007.

1. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

the weight difference between wilfork and drob isn't that significant to use as a measuring stick in each players ability to play the nose.

the difference is in the area of strength and tech. wilfork is a beast, strength wise. where as drob tries to use quickness as his forte. the thing is, not only is wilfork strong, he's also very quick as well for a big man.

drob is just nowhere near the talent wilfork is!!!!

2. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Theres no question that Wilforks playing weight is somewhere around 350. He's an absolute freak that he's that big and can move like that and doesn't seem to get winded that easily.

3. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I can understand that.... Robertson has always been a good player, because at the 3T position he was great at getting penetration and causing chaos in the backfield....

If you watch him when we're in a 4-man front, and he's supposed to penetrate, he's dynamic, and he looks like his motor never stops (bowling ball with knives, anyone?:lol: ) But in the 3-4 at the nose, he doesn't seem all that interested in taking on a double team and holding his ground...

He came into the league donned as a Warren Sapp clone, and in a D like what the Bucs run, he very well could have been.... But in this scheme, the NT needs to be , basically, a really big speed bump to slow the OLs progression to the second level and the LBs...

Robertson doesn't have that mentality...

4. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

The point is that it IS POSSIBLE for a DE to move to NT if he has enough talent. Frankly, I would think that someone who was good enough to spend two first round picks and a fourth rounder to get should be good enough to do what a 6th round pick (Klecko) could do?

The problem is NOT that DeWayne Robertson is not Joe Klecko. The problem is that DeWayne Robertson is not a very good football player.

5. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

I don't know if I would go that far. I think he is a good football player just not worth 2 first round draft picks and 50+ million over 6 years.

6. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

You need more than 2 years to build a D-line like the Pats. If I'm not mistaken, aren't the Pat's front 3 all 1st round picks? That's a pretty heavy investment.

Anyway, having 1 guy doesn't do much good, if he's getting doubled, and the other guys can't beat a 1 on 1 block.

7. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Completely disagree. When the scheme was right and he had the Turd next to him, this guy was a force. Now, he's a square peg in a round hole, just like Vilma, he doesn't fit the scheme.

When someone doesn't fit the scheme of course their level of play will drop off.

To say that he's not a good football player is stretching things a bit.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The amazing height of football knowledge in the OP astounds me, I should have known that the problem with DRob was that he is having trouble learning the position, and that is why he is not playing up to Wilfork's level.

Holy crap, I don't even know what to say to that. Wilfork has size and leverage, and a mean streak that DRob has never approached since he was drafted. They shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Maybe it is because DROB has been WAY overrated by the jets FOR YEARS--They are still trying to convince THEMSELVES that he was worth 2 1s and a 4. Cut him and move on--ya screwed up big time so quit trying to convince yourself to the contrary.

10. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Well, how far of a stretch? Surely you are dissapointed?

11. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I'm disappointed that he isn't being used properly, and would like to think that if he had the right guys playing around him in the 4-3, the scheme we originally had him playing, that he would be far more successful.

I'm unhappy that he hasn't been able to adapt his level of play to suit the 3-4, like others have, see Wilfork.

However, the blame rests square on the shoulders of the CS for not realizing that we don't have the personnel to fit the present mold, something we've been bitching about for a few years now.

12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Rebuilding takes some time and it's not often that all of the pieces manage to fall in your lap in free agency and the draft within a two year span. Sometimes you get lucky and the right guys become available early on. More often than not you're stuck waiting. I think the latter situation is what happened here, although I would have gone more quantity than quality in this draft. The FO went for luxury players when we didn't have the luxury to spare the draft picks we used to trade up. We're paying the price now in our personelle decisions in the hopes that it pays dividends later on. Unfortunately time will be the ultimate judge of wether or not the FO made the right decisions. Personally I don't mind sitting through a terrible season if it means we get to carry off the Lombardi trophy a year or two down the road. I just hope the fans and ownership have the patience to give this regime time to build. It's going to take a while to undue the damages of Herm and Bradway.

As for the offense struggling I just see Chad getting dumber and dumber as a result of thinking he has to win all the games on his own and the CS turning to a more vanilla offense than we showed last year, i.e.: few play-action plays (just dumb since we have probably the best play-action passer in the league right now...hope Kellen is at least paying attention to that), less pre-snap motion making it easier for the defense to figure out our play-calling, and a more and more predictable offense in terms of playcalling (when Eagles defenders are claiming they saw QB sneaks comming aside from goal-line situations you know you're in trouble).

13. rbreitkopf

rbreitkopf New Member

I agree with JoesMoe. It's not necessarily a weight issue-just look at Jason Ferguson-he is 300-310 lbs but a very serviceable nose in both 4-3 and 3-4. It boils down to shooting gaps vs. clogging lanes, which are two very different skill sets. Drob is better at the former.

14. the_wanton_song

doesn't matter who wilfork plays next to....he's an animal. Richard Seymour hasn't played all season.

15. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

The Pats sucked the Jets and Saints into thinking they wanted to move up for Robertson and Sullivan. Both teams made deals to move way up to beat the Pats to them.

There was a rumor out that the Pats and Bears had been talking and everyone assumed they were gonna make a deal. The Bears coach (I think it was Lebeau) after said they had just had a chat and no deals were discussed, but the Pats liked planting the seed out there to the Jets and Saints. And the Bears because their pick became more valuable for trade purposes.

16. jetglass

jetglass New Member

Are you joking? How can you not critisize this past year's draft? We traded up all our picks to draft 2 players on defense who play positions that are meaningless and have no impact if you dont have any D lineman.

17. the_wanton_song

How do you know the Patriots wanted DRob when you don’t even know if a player will play until game time. Example…Maroney today. This is also speculation….but it’s been said before. The Patriots leaked word that they wanted D-Rob…but wanted Warren all along. The Jets snatched DRob when they thought the Patriots were interested. Bill and Scott got there man.