My Take: Clemens will start Week 11

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

For what it's worth, Clemens looked fine at TC for the second year. In 2006, I was in the stands on his very first day of practice and I remember seeing #11 throwing and saying to the guy next to me, "Is that Clemens? Geez... he looks pretty sharp."

And a couple of other guys spoke up and said, "Yeah, that's Clemens, he looks like he's been in the league awhile doesn't he?" He was throwing so well, it was hard to tell whether he was Jay Feidler or Bolinger or whatever, except for the fact that he was wearing #11. He had a command presence and a leadership quality in the pocket even on his first day at Hofstra.

I know you guys are talking about more recent practices than TC, but Clemens did look fine at Camp. The only rookie-like thing with him was when he'd have to scramble.. then sometimes it would get a little erratic. But at least he scrambles, which is more than Chad is doing when the shit hits the fan!

2. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Its called grow a pair. Parcelle put in a punter for god sake(although due to injury). He also said FU to our starter (Neil O' Donald and inserted Ray Lucas ;That was not an interception on the side lines) Mangini Has no balls! Last year you could say; That guy's got a lot of ball) This year its all close to the vest and no taking chances . "Lost and found ,Im looking for my balls, Yeah there tiny and yellow . Thats right yellow!"

3. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

lol what the hell man?:rofl2: :rofl2:

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

For what little we have seen, Kellen looks stronger in the backfield. I remember against the Ravens he took a few shots and stayed on his feet to make a play. By the way, hope you are doing the training camp reports again next year.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Thanks Hemi, I really appreciate that. I'll try.

At this year's Camp, if there was anything glaring about Clemens, it might have been that he has a tendency to hold the ball a little too long. It's a rookie thing though. But I see Chad doing that same thing all the time as well. There are many plays in which I find myself screaming, "For God's sake, throw the ball Chad!"

The difference between the two is, if Chad holds it and then finally gets to deliver, you've got to remember that you've still got to add on extra milliseconds for the ball to get there as opposed to the Clemens pass.

So now you've got defenders licking their chops and debating whether to jump the route, then Chad holds it just a little longer, leaving absolutely no doubt that the pass is coming (and you know it's going to be a blooper), so you just go ahead and jump the route as you see Chad looking and going into the throwing motion and BINGO... you've got a pick, which is what we've been seeing over and over again.

At least with Clemens, if the release is laser-like, you decrease the chances of a successful jumped route.

6. Section 227. Row 5

My biggest fear right now is Chad looks terrific on Sunday. Don't get me wrong, because I know this sounds like I don't want us to win. Of course I do.

But Chad looking good on Sunday tells us nothing because I think the QB for the Linden High School Tigers could also move the chains on Sunday were he to be inserted. My worst case scenario is that Chad looks okay and Mangini keeps him in there, thereby only delaying the inevitable.

7. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I agree with your take on the subject. I really want a W but not at the cost of not getting better. i dont see us blowing out the begal's so we all know it will be a tight game. I do feel the seconday better be ready because Palmer will be airing out often and earlily to break our back's in the first half. I have resided myself to understanding that Mangini isnt going to make the switch for what ever reason But if it takes till week 11 to see Clemens Ill mark it on my calender!

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Klecko,

Another very good thread. Thanks this place is in dire need of them.

I pretty much agree with the majority of your points.

I think that the Bengals game is going to determine who the starting QB is going forward. Their defense is so bad, that if Chad can not do anything as far as points and such, that Mangini will say to the players, media and fans "I have no other choice but to change QB's".

I firmly believe that one of the main factors he has not done it sooner is not wanting to lose the locker room.

#28 Miamipuck, Oct 17, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  9. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Its just so painful to watch CP QB this team, but I guess if he stays in there and continues to play this way, then there will be no doubt he's done and we can move on. The season is over anyway. This sucks and the Giants winning is the icing on the cake.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If we don't beat Cincinnati or Buffalo we will be 1-10 before our next chance to win. I can see the Jets putting in Clemens then in hopes of getting a couple of meaningless wins just so they don't get a high draft pick and have to spend all that money. It would be sooooo typical of them.

11. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

I agree with klecko's take on this as well. with 3 "winnable games" ahead, 2 of them at home, I'd say this is Chad's last chance to mkae his mark. I can see Chad playing a decent game this weekend, and the Jet's still finding another way to lose.....like getting torched on D.

If Chad comes up small against 2 pretty suspect Defenses coming up, then Mangini will have all of the ammunition he needs to make the change without having major locker room problems.

While I'm anxious personally to see the change made, I can respect Mangini for not crumbling under media/fan pressure thus far. But he is walking the fine line of being stubborn if things don't improve and he sticks with Chad.

12. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Mangini is doing the same thing with Chad that Herm did with C-Mart. He's expecting miracles from someone who is not capable of delivering them - and hasn't been capable for several years now. Without a strong arm at the QB position, your chances of winning in today's NFL are nil. Make the move right now and start giving the kid some much needed experience. It's time to see if he has what it takes to sink or swim. The only thing you're developing by continuing to sit Clemens on the bench is more of a losing atmosphere.

13. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Week 11 ??? If Penny loses this weekend against the bengals he wont be the starter , maybe another week if that but definately wont be as long as week 11.

14. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

I'm not sure Pennington will be even in the entire game against the Bengals. If he struggles Mangini has to make the switch because the Bengals defense is bad and I mean really bad

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The way Mangini is talking I'm not sure if you mean week 11 of 2007 or week 11 of 2008 (heh, heh).

16. JetMan2488

JetMan2488 New Member

Why wait until Week 11? So he can go up against one of the top five defenses in football and then three days later go to Dallas on Thanksgiving? No thanks. He needs to start a few games before that or cannot be put in until December 2nd at Miami.

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, but he didn't wear #11 in 2006.

18. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

No move until the bye-week.

19. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

.....chad will go 3-0 over that streak only to go down with an injury in the 4th quarter of week 9...
    and kellen will have the bye week to prepare for a run with us at 4-5
    here's hoping for that miracle

20. ANJI

ANJI New Member

I think KC either get's in at home against the Bills or Redskins or he doesn't get to play until something like week 13 or 14.

Why make him play the Steelers and Cowboys off the bat???? The season is over is chad plays up to the Bye anyway.

#40 ANJI, Oct 21, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2007