The Bengals game is going to be a watershed for the Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

As usual, you're right.

2. Coach K

Coach K New Member

or the fact the Bengals D is the equivalent of a gaping hole in a shotgun victims head

3. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Sad but true.

4. patsox23

patsox23 Member

Hate to say it, fellas, since I WANT the jets to win games at this point, BUT - I think Cincy's a tough match-up. Their D is for sh!t, but that offense is elite and it'll be tough to keep up with them. Good luck.

P.S. Revis looks sensational. Be patient. This was always going to be a rebuilding year. Last year was just a perfect storm of positives.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I have not read any comments in this thread except for the initial post. This thread looks like it has potential. I'll read it tomorrow.

My quick thoughts on this game-
    I highly doubt the sieve is going to stop the Bengals. The Jets will probably give up more than 30 points. Clemens is going to have to come off the bench and get into a shootout if the Jets are to stand a chance.

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I can not see the Jets scoring enough points to keep up with the Bengals. This is not a matchup that is good for the Jets.

The only way to win this thing is for Leon Washington to get 2 runbacks, the D can get 10 or more points like the Giant game and pray to god Chad can get a touchdown or two.

One thing for sure is the Jets are going to need 28 points or more to win....... IMO.

7. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I want to add I think this is more of a watershed game for Chad more so than Mangini or the Jets.

I really believe that this is going to be his last game if he plays similar to the last 3 weeks.

Then again I find it difficult to believe that he is still the starting QB.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I'm sure everyone has noticed that Buffalo said Edwards will start over Losman now even though Losman is ready to play again.

Some teams know when it's time to make the switch...even Buffalo.

If we don't beat Cincinnati or Buffalo we will go 1-10 before our next chance for a win (Miami). How bad will that be?

#28 Don, Oct 17, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  9. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I Dont know the bengals have probally the worst Defense in the NFL there hasent been a team this season that has scored less then 24 points on them so if we score less then 24 points where simply a very bad offense and as for our D idk how where gonna stop palmer to hooseyamoma and chad johnson but if we can get pressure on #9 we should be aright.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's a difference between the Losman and Chad situations. Losman has now become a never-was with the Bills. He may surface somewhere else and do ok but he basically failed at being the Bills QB.

Chad on the other hand had real success with the Jets at times. Not top end elite QB success but he was a good manager for a team that had enough pieces for that to matter. When he's replaced it'll be an acknowledgment of the fact that his time has passed, but at least he had a time.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yes, that's true. Buffalo was probably a bad example.

12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Here's an exerpt from this morning's Star-Ledger on Cincy. I agree with Miamipuck, that this game is shaping up to be a watershed for Chad. If we have the same problems scoring points against this team, it's going to look ridiculous:

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/119259572748460.xml&coll=1

Next Opponent: The Bengals (1-4) have lost four in a row and 12 of their past 18 games as coach Marvin Lewis, in his fifth season, is beginning to feel the heat. Pro Bowl QB Carson Palmer (127 of 203 for 1,491 yards, 12 TDs and eight INTs) and Pro Bowl WR Chad Johnson (36 catches, 578 yards, three TDs) have a chilly relationship. WR T.J Houshmandzadeh (47-505-7) has become Palmer's new go-to guy. RB Rudi Johnson (62 carries, 185 yards) has been quiet but the Bengals remain explosive.

Cincinnati ranks last in the NFL in points allowed per game (31.2) and 30th in total defense (393.2 yards per game). The Bengals are 29th in run defense (145.8 yards per game) and have allowed a 100-yard rusher in their past four games.

Key matchup: Houshmandzadeh and Johnson vs. the Jets secondary

The dangerous duo have a combined 83 catches for 1,083 yards and 10 TDs, making them one of the most prolific tandems in the NFL this season. They can't overcome their anemic defense, however. The Jets secondary was blistered by Eagles QB Donovan McNabb last week. The unit will need a pass rush to slow down the Palmer.

Under the microscope:

Eric Mangini is facing his first crisis as a head coach. His team is 1-5 and the locker room grumbling has begun because of his punishing practices and relentless demands on his players. He didn't win any support in the locker room for his calls on third and fourth downs in the final minutes of last week's loss to the Eagles, either. The players will either respond or quit on him. Stay tuned.

13. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Here's the problem with this game.

Chad is starting, and with chad starting, I can't see us putting up alot of pts. The Bengals D is horrible, but our dink and dunk offense won't generate enough pts to outscore the bengals offense.

Sadly, this one could be blowout, like 41-10 if we don't play our cards right.

14. Beamen

Beamen New Member

The Bills were the worst defense in the NFL when we were heading into that game....

'nuff Said

15. JeTsFaN_in_SoUtHFloRiDa

i see dead people...

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The Bengals are the worst team we will face this year. We should win in a romp. Jets 28 Bengals 27.

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Winston, here's my 'Rate the Board' question...

When Ocho Cinco and TJ WHosyourmama go for 250 yds, and 3 scores, How many 'Revis is a bust' Threads will we get?

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the Jets put up points, but we have not been.

Our offense has put up 14 on the Bills, 10 on the Giants, and 9 on the Eagles in the last 3 games.

I can see this one getting real ugly unless we try to controll the clock, another thing we have not been doing, on the Bungles.

19. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Hopefully none. They do that to everyone and Revis has the luxury of learning the game in a lost year. Revis will be a good draft choice.

20. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I hope we score 13 points and Chad has a 72% passing percentage with no pass thrown over 14 yards. What does Manstubborn do next? Winning or losing does enter into the equation according to the coach. Our coach only concern is that he does lose the players, winning be dammed.