Baker spoke his mind about the playcalling

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYSackXchange, Oct 16, 2007.

1. NYSackXchange

NYSackXchange Active Member

Hmmmm... I think Baker will be in the dogghouse for a while...... He was dead on though.... I bet he's gone next season. Thats the Mangini way....

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjnotes165414578oct16,0,5970809.story

"You've got a guy who had damn near 100 yards rushing in the first half and we don't give him the ball on third-and-1," he was quoted as saying, referring to Thomas Jones and his 130-yard performance.

Eric Mangini tried to dismiss the comments as a postgame exhale, calling the period after games "an emotional time, and people are going to have emotional reactions." But Baker's comments ruffled the coach, and he was called on the carpet for them.

Asked to clarify his remarks, Baker said: "That's already gotten me in trouble, so I don't want to go back to those things."

2. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

What an absolute joke this team has become.

Like I’ve already said – Manmoron is three games away from completely losing the locker room.

Whether he is here or not next year – he will not survive the three and thirteen season he puts us through.

3. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I can GUARANTEE you, the entire offensive line, and TJ, were thinking the same thing... Wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the team was too.... Mangini's post-game comments in regards to that play simply showed that he has no confidence in their ability as a unit....

Add to that his comments almost completely blaming the pass blocking for Chad's awful play, and I'm sure everyone who's being asked to block is pretty pissed off...

Personally, I'm glad somebody is saying something... Baker's not a guy they can afford to bench.... If Mangini thinks he can bench Baker for his comments, without there being a negative effect in the passing game and the running game, he's dead wrong....

This should be the first of many kicks in the ass Mangini will get from the players and media regarding his conservative coaching this season

4. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The Star-Ledger reported this morning that Baker was "reprimanded, but not fined."

Screw it. He spoke his mind. At the 4-yard line and with 3 downs left, there's no excuse for not punching it in. Thomas Jones had averaged over 5 yards per carry all day. Okay, take away the long run in the 1st quarter and he still averaged over 4 yards per carry.

Kudos to Chris Baker! Speak your mind, son!

5. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

I agree completely with Baker not out of line at all

6. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

Baker is the man. Guy is probably one of the best catching TEs in the NFL but is never thrown to for some unknown reason. Guys 6'5 with hands and can run. If there was anyone to throw the ball to on 4th down it should of been him over the middle on a PA.

7. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Agreed, to a certain extent.

I'm on Bakers side, however, with everything that is going on with this team, maybe it would have been wise to just keep his thoughts to himself.

Still, what he said was right. It wasn't the best play-calling by Mangini and Schottenheimer when you are at the 4 yard line, and you don't give the ball to your running back, who had his best game as a Jet that day.

I hope Baker doesn't suffer for this.

8. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I think if the team were winning, then it would have been wise to keep his mouth shut... But the coaching staff needs a wake up call, and Mangini obviously has convinced himself that anything he hears from the media or fans is to be completely ignored.....

The only way Mangini's going to hear any of the complaints, is if they come from the inside of the organization

9. amsingh

amsingh New Member

I sitll can't believe we didn't run the ball there. SO MANY blown opportunities this year. That's what makes football different, there is no room for error, especially consistent errors

10. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

If the team were winning, than there wouldn't be a reason for him to say how he felt, because not much negative things would be going on.

On the post-game after the game, when Mangini stated that it was a coaching decision with the plays they chose to run on that drive in the 4th quarter, if I remember correctly, he didn't seem so thrilled about it. I mean, obviously he wouldn't be because it didn't work, but maybe he didn't like it so much to begin with, but went with it anyway.

11. Beamen

Beamen New Member

My problem, and I believe Baker's problem as well, is that Mangini didn't trust the offensive line to get the job done in crunch time.... While it takes a good push to get a yard on a QB sneak, that's not a play that takes confidence in your OL to call..

With the game on the line, and one yard to go, two plays in a row, the CS called plays that, pretty much, said they didn't think that Jones and the OL (which includes Baker and the other TEs and FBs who were in the game) could get the job done...

Both Mangini and Chad in the post game pressers explained the two decisions by saying that 'the Eagles were looking for the run' and they 'stacked the box'.... As an OL and RB, that is when you want the ball, to prove that you can do it, and win the game.....

The CS showed zero confidence in them to get it done, and instead relied on a toss-up play in the sneak, and then on the un-reliable arm of the QB on 4th down.... If I were on that line, I'd be offended...

12. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Looking at the "four corners" of what he saidm, i dont think it was so bad.

Football is an emotional game, and I think a lot of these "character guys" have been toeing the effin line like good soldiers. What he said wasnt outrageous, imho, and i think something needed to be said to break the ice.

I'm sure the reporters were egging him on by peppering the guys with questions after the game. He was "rebuked"? Fvck rebuke. Get a better gameplan and make a better playcall.

13. redneckjet

redneckjet New Member

Baker was out of line..........Keep that stuff in-house. Don't start him next week. THAT should be the punishment. Seems like players these days just wanna make headlines. Time for them to learn to shut the hell up. Mangini is making all the right moves.

14. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

All the right moves? The team is 1-5.

15. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

this was meant to be a sarcastic joke, right???

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

How about the OC being smart enough to send in Drob as a TE and Harris as a
    FB, on 2nd and 1, and just getting bigger and bigger on successive downs...

17. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

What I wanna know is why we never run off tackle or outside? It's always up the gut.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

See above, thats kind of my point as well.

19. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I'm firmly convinced that if Baker was in the right offensive scheme which actually called for more than one throw per game to the TE, he would easily be putting up Top-10 #'s for his position...

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Jones is better running inside. It was his forte with the Bears.