Intelligent Jet talk! Enter please:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Miamipuck, Oct 15, 2007.

1. ........

........ Trolls

Ok. Let's recapture the thread.

To CJ: I was a Chad supporter; however, my support carried a stipulation. A lot of people expected him to bounce back from a couple of bad games. However, against Buffalo we finally realized that his physical ability was not where it was even last season. I think his ankle has looked fine the past two weeks, and yet now his decision making has suffered. That was Chad's bread and butter for his entire career. I'm willing to admit that I was mistaken to think he would bounce back.

On the issue of Thomas: I agree wholeheartedly with Puck that Thomas is better suited to the 3-4. He's shown improved coverage skills this season when placed on the TE, which has allowed more freedom for Rhodes/Smith to rush the passer. As far as not getting a chance to prove himself in the 4-3, he was here for 4 seasons in the 4-3. Even when Abe was injured, Thomas didn't really show us anything. It shouldn't take 4 years for a DE to develop. His play improved instantly with the switch.

On coaching: I really believe that Schotty has been handcuffed by Chad. Chad's physical tools have slipped since last season (perhaps in part due to a gimpy ankle and a new propensity to overcompensate), and while they're not ready to make the switch, the playcalling shows that Brian and Eric clearly recognize his problems. There is no excuse for Sutton, who is doing less with more this season. Yes, he's been showing some hybrid packages, but we look under practiced and unprepared to run them.

On special teams: Nugent's sudden inconsistency aside, this unit has been near stellar since Week 3. My boy Westhoff has gotten his troops back in line, and coverage has been nearly as good as our league-leading return team, although I do acknowledge there have been a few problems with the initial man downfield making the tackle.

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I have done that to many times already to rehash it so I guess you just missed them or decided to pass my posts by. In fact I have gone way farther then MP in saying what will be occurring in the next several years

3. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Did I type English? Is it that difficult to string together a couple of cogent thoughts that add to this discussion?

WTF does that load of gibberish have to do with anything I said in my first post.

The vast majority of people that posted here have at least stepped back from their anger, disappointment, whatever it is they are feeling and at least put something that is pissing them off or they like about this team. The one common denominator is that it was a well thought out post. At least have some respect for yourself and others and please say something that adds to this discussion.

To reply to the crap you posted. If we get those 5 players where do you think, I think this team will be. How far away from the Pats/Colts will this team be?

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Does medicore cover post-menopausal evulation treatments?

5. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

The first and foremost thing the Jets need to do, IMO, is to build a solid O-line that can both protect the QB, and more importantly, be able to drive the D back on running plays.

Once you have that, you don't need the best skill position players. As much as CP is hated on this board, he is FAR from the worst QB in the league. If you have a solid O-line, just an average, workmanlike QB will do fine....and being able to run gives you time of posession and ball control, cutting down on turnovers.

If you want to win long term, you start at the O-line.

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Great post!

1.) I know there are a 1000 other Chad threads. IMHO he is done. I am not saying this to put him down or berate him. It is just a fact. His arm was getting worse as the season progressed last year. Remember that game in Miami? He got Coles killed and hung up some others. To be sure there was 1 pass to Cotchery but as a whole his passes were weak.

Anyway, I was there in person and noticed. This year it seems there is the same regression, only he is starting from a weaker place. He just is not an NFL caliber QB any longer. I admire all the intangibles he brings to the position. It is the tangibles (woeful arm) that are now effecting all the other areas of his game that were stellar. I really believe that he knows he is done. Of course I can not prove that definitively.

2,) Well said about Thomas. Although as a DE he was very stout against the run, He had zero pass rushing ability and that is why the elite 4-3 DE's get the big money, to rush the passer.

3.) I agree about the coaching especially Schott. He is completely hamstrung and has to make lemonade, to borrow a cliche.

Sutton I am unsure about. This D is hampered by some of the same problems the O is. It is just a couple of players shy. Unfortunately they are the two most important pieces. I am going to start to pay attention to the adjustments and such the D makes. I thought the D played well in the 2nd half of the Eagles game. They did adjust at halftime.

Here is some food for thought that I heard last night. Junior Seau was talking about the Pats and how great their adjustments are on defense, and we all know they are. His reply was the following paraphrased:

" Our offense is on the field so long it allows the defense to study the photos and formations of the other teams offense way longer than a normal defense should. We should and do make the required adjustments because of that ".

Now that is not an excuse for Sutton or the D. However the last few weeks the D had made some important stops and allowed the offense to at least be on the filed to make a tying or "go ahead" score. I think with a decent QB under center it will give the D more breathing room/space. I could be completely wrong but it seems lately that the D is on the field quite a lot. Given the depth situation that is not a good thing.

4.) I am more concerned with special teams than you. I think the Punting, field goal kicking and Punt return teams leave little to be desired. That is a big amount to work on. I think Graham and Nugent will get their acts together.

I think the punt returning unit is what it is. With Leon you have to take the good with the bad. As dynamic as he is as a kickoff returner he is that undynamic (if that is a word) as a punt returner. Again that is forgivable, at least he is very sure handed.

Also the kickoff coverage unit is eons better as the season progressed. I wish I had as much confidence in some of the other coaches like I do in Mike Westhoff.

#66 Miamipuck, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  7. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Chump sucks at the internet.

8. ........

........ Trolls

I almost made this same point in my last post. We've consistently been on the wrong end of the time of possession battle, which hampers our defense. Turnovers can be blamed for a lot of that, although we're on pace for the same number of TOs as last season. The biggest thing that kept me from saying the same thing was the improved field position that we've had lately as a result of special teams play, but thinking about it, I'm not sure it's made a huge difference due to the play of the offense.

I don't have the time, but I'd be interested to see what kind of discrepancy exists between our defense's play after a lengthy drive and a quick 3 and out. I won't mention a quick strike TD. We haven't had many of those.

9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Here is the research into TOP:

Week #1- Jets:26:51 NE:33:09
    Week #2- Jets:28:55 Balt:31:05
    Week #3- Jets:31:50 Mia:28:10
    Week #4- Jets:27:44 Buf:32:16
    Week #5- Jets:26:15 NYG:33:45
    Week #6- Jets:28:04 Phi:31:56

I suppose I can dig into game logs and find out the difference between the 3- out drives and such. Just looking at the TOP #'s they are woeful.

10. ANJI

ANJI New Member

^^^^ I maybe wrong, but the thing that makes it worst is I believe in the last three games more then 50 percent of the time the D is on the field has happened in the second halfs of the Bills, Eagles and giants games. They are dieing out there.

11. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Champ obviously missed the thread title " intelligent talk." That should have been a clear indication to stay out :shit:

12. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Good Read!!!

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Really? Aside from the gimmicks he brought in, what has he done from a substantive standpoint?

For instance,

Your season is on the line.

It's Second and one at the 4. Down by 7.

Hmmmmm.....

Let see, Do I even have a BIG package (I.E. A couple of DT's lined up as TE's, and a LB for the FB????)

There is no way that if you put Bender, Drob and Mosely as a 3 TE set, and Harris as FB, that you get stopped on 3 successive downs.

Hell, for innovative you take CP out, put in another LB as RB, and have Jones take the direct snap from the shotgun.

We got, Run into the teeth of the D, QB sneak, and a fade...

You tell me which plan seems more likely to produce one yard.

14. championjets69

In no way shape or form did you factor in he Pats factor & what it will take us to overtake them which I suppose in the end of your mumbo jumbo that has to be the goal. Is that correct? Under any circumstances the NYJs are giving all of you a chance in the next 3 years to find something else to occupy yourselves since as I have said many, many times it will be 2010 or later before we will even be able to compete with the middle level AFC teams so until then there is zero to debate because they have to change out most of the D & most of the O when you factor in the ages of the O players they will be in 2010 or later. That estimate BTW is based on Tan & Man hitting grand slam HRs with each & every draft pick & UFA they sign. If they blow even one draft pick or chose the wrong UFA then naturally the time line will move backward to 2011 or 2012 or beyond even that. Also factor into your equation that the Pats over this period will be striving to get stronger & stronger & stronger then the rest of the AFC especially since Belly reupped for 4 more years

15. championjets69

You & others just do not realize the words "intelligent talk" when you see it because those green sun glasses are to blinding to see reality from the sugarplum world you homers all live in

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Shot has been horrible this year but a lot of that lies with Pennington. Every play he is running the snap count to 1 giving the D a tip off. Pennington also stinks out of the shot gun. It's time to go back to power football with a little play action. The muddle huddle the shot gun and the trick plays are over.

17. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

The Pats Beli Factor is never factored in most post. We are dealing with one of the Greatest Football Dynasty's of all time, Probably one of the Greatest Two coaches of all-time and one of the best two or three Qb's to ever step on a Football field. Once again people fail to see the level of Play we have to get to in the next few years to compete for a title. The Pats were way better than our teams a few years ago when they went to the superbowl. This Pats team is way better than the old Pats teams that have won the superbowl. For us to get to their level it will take almost perfect drafts and F/A signings to get on their level. Plus a find of a LT-Carson Palmer type player or two on both sides of the ball as well. The reality of this situation is not pretty for our team.

18. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

It would be so poetic if the Jets won the superbowl the day after you died...

19. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I agree with you but the league has the book on Chad now. Lt couldn't perform consistently with the D-line stacked against him every week. We need a Qb that can spread the field and then the run will open up.

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Good running teams run the ball against stacked Defenses all the time. That was a staple of the Steelers and we did it consistently in 04.